Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Plastic fuel filters in tank.

Discussion in 'CARC' started by Brian UK, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Anyone know when Guzzi stopped using those half plastic fuel filters in the tank? About 2008 perhaps? Those part plastic ones were less than reliable, and I wanted to get an idea of they started fitting the all metal ones.
    There is more to this story yet, but I need the above information before I can say more.

2. motobob

motobob Cruisin' Guzzisti

Brian,
    I have a 2008 Norge, not sure of the manufacture date, but it had the half plastic fuel filter. First thing I changed.
    Bob

3. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Just another reminder that these half plastic filters will probably fail at some point, as many know.
    So if anyone thinks they still have one fitted, best to get it sorted while you have an empty yank, as there is a law that says it will fail just after you have refuelled, and are in the middle of nowhere. The engine will stop dead if the filter fails.

Replacement filters are the Knecht/Mahle KL145 or the UFI 31 760 00 (made in China).

4. bobra

bobra Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hi all

Can anyone tell me the size of the Oetiker clips holding the fuel filter on?

Thanks

Rob

5. Phang

Phang Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Guzzi parts catalogue says “Hose clamp 11,3”

The closest I can dig from Oeitiker catalogue are 167series stepless ear clamp, part number 16700011 (size range 11,3 to 13,8mm) or 16700007 (size range 9,6 to 11,3mm).

Can anyone take a closer look at those clamps? What is the number on the clamp body? 011.3-505R or 013.8-706R or something else? Thanks.

Phang

6. SKurj

SKurj Tuned and Synch'ed

7. Phang

Phang Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Thanks Skruj. If you scroll down the ebay page, it says “Size 11.3-505R”

Too bad the seller is charging US$12.95 for international shipping :sick:

8. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I changed the filter on our '04 Breva last year...the original was a metal one. FWIW, I used compressed air hose clamps.

9. SKurj

SKurj Tuned and Synch'ed

Is there a chance one of these half plastic filters may have made it into my 2008 2v 1200 Sport tank?

Guessing that would be something to swap out before leaving it sitting in fuel for the winter...

10. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

I have tried to find out when these half plastic ones were fitted, but cannot get a definitive answer. Guzzi are remarkably quiet on this.
    By the way, according to the manufacturers of the filter, Knecht/Mahle, those half plastic ones were not designed to be immersed in petrol/gasolene, as they were intended for diesel fuel. Petrol attacks the adhesive which holds the two halves together.

11. travlr

travlr Just got it firing!

Can someone post a "how to" for this. Or post a link?

Thanks,

T

12. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

You will need oetiker clamps that are the correct size and the tool to close them. If you don't have these items, I suggest you take it to a shop that does.

13. toma nova

toma nova Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Not sure what bike you're referring to...

On my 2008 1200 Sport, I used regular worm-type hose clamps because the fuel line is a corrugated plastic, not submersible rubber fuel line; the Oetinger clamps or similar fuel injection clamps aren't necessary since the plastic line won't deform with the worm clamps like the rubber lines could. This was suggested to me by MPH.

HTH,
    Tom

14. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

If you use a screw type clamp, be sure it is a FI type. The standard screw clamps can damage the hose. With the environment the clamps are in, I'd still prefer to use oetiker clamps. Once crimped, they can't come loose.

15. toma nova

Todd Haven specifically told me that regular worm clamps are fine on my 1200 Sport since the fuel line in the tank is plastic and not rubber; it's quite thin and does not compress at all when tightening the clamp.

I suppose the worm or FI clamps could vibrate loose - I'll change to Oetikers when I change the filter next, maybe in 20k miles.

Tom

16. wildgeezer

wildgeezer Just got it firing!

How can you tell by looking if it is the plastic filter? The dealer said the recall had been done on my G, but I thought I should pull the filler cap off and have a look.

17. toma nova

With a flashlight and a mostly empty tank, you might be able to see the fuel filter. The stock filter is half plastic and half metal - the plastic will be yellow or tan due to fuel staining and it will likely be bulging out and swollen.

If you can't see the filter through the filler, it should only take 30 minutes to pull the tank, remove the fuel pump assembly, check the filter and reinstall everything. I siphoned all the fuel out before I did this as the tank will leak / spill once you flip it over to remove the pump.

Any of the recommended replacement filters are all metal and thus will not swell.

HTH,
    Tom

18. wildgeezer

wildgeezer Just got it firing!

Thanks for the info. Think it has been replaced as the filter looked like aluminum and not plastic.

19. Vince C

Vince C Just got it firing!

So can you see the filter of a Griso through the filler?

If it has to be changed, how's that done since it's IN the tank? Is there a removable section of the tank base? If so, how's that sealed to the tank to prevent it leaking in use?

Is my 2009 bike likely to have the problem?

20. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

The parts book in the download section above illustrates the pump assembly and answers most of your questions. So far I have not read about a filter rupturing but have read about the fuel line coming loose, There are several connections in there; don't recall it being the connection the the plastic end of the filter.

I replaced mine over during winter one year, wasn't too tough. The OE half filter was still working and the plastic seemed pretty tough. The lessons learned for me were: when reinstalling the the assembly make sure it is dry, otherwise gas can get on the seal and swell it. And to seat the bolts for the base plate. I used one time crimp SS hose clamps - no problems so far after 20k miles.