• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Plug Wiring Short

bigtex

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I'm pretty sure this was covered by some of you pioneers, but I couldn't find the thread.

I picked up my bike from its first service, and it was a lovely 60 deg F day so I hit some of the fun parts shops, generally just taking the long way home. After stopping for about 20 minutes at Moto Gear Outlet (great place), I hopped back on Stella and it seemed someone had swapped motors with a Vespa. No power, terribly lumpy idle, and most tellingly, no heat in one of the headers. I limped back to the dealer (with just a couple of hours before closing time on a Saturday) and the tech found the right plug wire had a pinhole that was shorting to the head.

The hole was inside the right angle bend, a couple of millimeters up from the crook. Of course the parts department had no replacements but luckily they hadn't sold the black Stelvio yet, so they yanked its plug wire and sent me on my way.

So, didn't some of you run in to this before, and what were the underlying causes and fixes? Thanks all for the help.

Yup, known issue.

It's the wires and plug caps themselves. They are made of extremely soft material and are *sealed* into the tube by rings around them which make them air and watertight. The problem is that it also makes it very difficult to get them out without damaging 'em. Een iv you are very, very careful when prying 'em up it is almost obligatory for the rubber to rip just where yours has.

The result is that the spark shorts to earth on the rocker cover and the cylinder no-workee.

Mine are wogged up with silastic and masking tape which makes 'em more rigid and *Pryable* after it happend to me but my advice would be to try and get them out without damage ONCE and tie a loop of twine around the cap below the sealing rings. This can then be looped up over the top of the cap and hidden under the plug lead cover but next time the caps need to come off you can simply grab the twine and pull up gently removing the cap without having to go anywhere near the top of the cap.

Pete

Back