• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

preparing for a long ride

Bobcat

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have done a long, multiple days ride. I am planning one for around June and need some advice as to how to prepare. I really need some exercises to strengthen my upper back muscles, lower back muscles and legs. any ideas as to what works? Also, my left thumb gets quite painful at the end of even a short ride. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ann

Sounds like you want to do some basic weight training. Start light and work your way up. Or gain access to a nautilus machine. If you have a physical therapy group nearby many offer a preliminary evaluation and a low cost access to their equipment in off peak times. As for the thumb, sounds like you just need to relax more on the bike and not tense up. The not tensing up will help with back and neck discomfort as well.

Long rides over several days or more like a week or two, are actually the only rides I do.
A strong back is good, of course. You need that in any case even not riding a bike. Riding during longer time and distances, are, IME, very much a capability to relax, as John said.
You don't need to keep a firm grip on the bar and gas grip, you don't necessarily steer the vehicle by physical activity unless you're doing terrain or track racing.
Are your bike set up to your needs? Knee angle comfortable? gear- and brake pedals maneuvrable without lifting your feet off the footrest? Can you reach the steering bar without putting weight on it?
Key words are relaxing and keeping your mind focused. And two fingers on the front brake lever. ;)

I make it a point to stop every hour for a few minutes. I can walk around, stretch joints, etc. Stopping often really makes the ride better and easier on the body.

Joe

The bike fits me pretty well. I just had the seat customized to my fanny and I can touch both feet down while in riding boots. The clutch is a bit of a reach for me and is a stiff pull. I've tried to find some adjustable levers but no one seems to know what a Moto Guzzi is let alone a Nevada :). I do believe that getting stronger would help and yes, RELAX already!

A couple days ride sounds great!

As to comfort... how about a few long day trips in preparation? Leave early AM and get back late PM. After a few of those you not only will get some more specific stregnth but you also might discover some things that you want to take along with you on the biggie?

I've found that one of the most usefull things I need to take is an open mind and a credit card... :D

Have a great one and let us know how it went.

Al

Hi Ann

I think most of the basic stuff has been covered like getting your riding position right, relaxing your grip on the controls, etc. Sounds like you're putting too much weight on your wrists and your thumb joint is getting pushed against the grip. If that's the case I would try raising the bars slightly, Bill told me about some bar raisers that have improved the riding position for me. The other thing to look at is riding gear. Clothing that is too tight can cause restricted circulation and cramping. Too loose and it balloons out in the wind causing drag and that means you're always fighting against it. Does your helmet fit you properly or do you find it moving or vibrating at speed? Helmets with peaks can often suffer from this effect and the answer is to take the peak off. Wind noise is another factor because even the quietist helmets cause quite high levels of wind noise, so earplugs are a good idea. Other than that just get out and ride as much as you can, there's no substitute and it's good fun!

Bobcat said:
The bike fits me pretty well. I just had the seat customized to my fanny and I can touch both feet down while in riding boots. The clutch is a bit of a reach for me and is a stiff pull. I've tried to find some adjustable levers but no one seems to know what a Moto Guzzi is let alone a Nevada :). I do believe that getting stronger would help and yes, RELAX already!

For the clutch reach, if you are in the US contact Harper's http://www.harpermotoguzzi.com/harpersn ... _rewrite=1 and ask if they have a dog leg lever that will fit the Nevada. It will shorten your reach, improve leverage, and give the same travel in relation to the cable.

At 70 years young went on my first road trip of 1750 miles in a week, on my V7C. Have installed bar risers which has shortened my reach to both levers. Had a sheep skin pad for the seat, which made the seat bearable :lol: Most riders do not like to approach the subject, what you wear for pants and undergarments is important. For the first two days I wore bicycle shorts, or riding underwear which wick away moisture, as it was in the 80 and 90's most of the time. My problem of a sore butt at the end of the first two days was the pants I was wearing, Cortex denim with leather in the butt area for protection. Good idea but it is not breathable. After two days I switched to my draggen jeans with the Kevlar butt panels which are breathable and condition corrected.

Stopping and smelling the roses is important. While riding the Blue Ridge Pky and the Shenandoah Sky-way we would stop numerous time at the over looks, otherwise it was every 100 miles because Son Joe's VTX was a gas guzzler :lol: The idea is to enjoy the ride and keep in mind it is not an iron butt run :eek: . And plan on things changing daily. We had originally planned on doing 2000 miles but the VTX's water pump decided to change our plans, and we had to spend an extra day in Watkins Glen NY waiting for a new pump to be flown in and installed. We had the bike repaired at a small Honda dealer at the Glen and they were terrific. Ordered the pump 10:00 AM on Wed, and it was flown in from Iowa and arrived on Thurs at 11:00 AM and we were back on the road by 1:30 PM. So this bump in the road changed the mileage plan and travel directions. The whole ball of wax is to enjoy the ride, stop often, and at the end of the day not to feel like you were run over by a train :lol: :lol:

Bill Maier

john zibell said:
Bobcat said:

For the clutch reach, if you are in the US contact Harper's http://www.harpermotoguzzi.com/harpersn ... _rewrite=1 and ask if they have a dog leg lever that will fit the Nevada. It will shorten your reach, improve leverage, and give the same travel in relation to the cable.

I will remember that Guzzimundi mounted the adjustable 1200 Sports levers right on.

Thanks Joe for the info on the adjustable levers. I purchased my bike from Moto International so I'm familiar with them. Will check into getting some adjustable levers.

Happy and safe riding!

Ann

Was there any answer from Harpers regarding the replacement clutch and brake levers for the V7C?

HA! A topic I can actually speak intellegently to and have a great deal of experience with. Here are some thoughts;

Depending on what type of riding you'll be doing over several days has a great deal to do with how you pack, what you wear, how you will be affected by staminia issues, hydration, seat height, lever reach...FWIW, there have been a few books written on the topic, but start with this link:

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

The best pieces of advice I can give you, in nor particular order:

1) Ear plugs. Don't leave home without them

2) Don't EVER leave on a trip without first testing EVERYTHING you are packing, how you're packing, and what you're wearing.

3) Tools: don't take tools that you can't use, or won't likely have a use for. I see people packing all sorts of parts and tools...most of which they have no idea what to do with and are preparing for a doomsday scenario. Take a credit card instead. They are much more efficient and knowledgable :) . I'd take a tire repair kit and your standard tool kit.

4)Lay everything out you want to take...then remove half of it. You won't miss it. LD comfort shorts or other microfiber undies can be washed in a stream or sink. Two pair in rotation have taken me 11 days and 12.5K miles. Same with socks. Think smartwool, yes, even when it's hot.

5) Two pair of gloves.

6) Cell phone. Let somebody know where the heck you're going and which route you're taking. It's agonizing looking for a missing rider over 100's of square miles. Don't ask me how I know this.

7) Wear dog tags. You need your name, SS# and emergency contact info and any drug alergies.

8) Have a ball.

Allen Dye
Ironbut Rally Finisher 2003, 2005 with over 100,000 miles of long distance rally experience.

Hi Paxo,

Yes I contacted Harpers and now have a set of adjustable levers for my bike. I sure hope they help. I had an injury to my left forearm playing golf. Something in it tore and it swelled and bruised pretty bad. Since then when I ride and work the clutch my left forearm gets very sore and stiff, even on short jaunts. Doesn't seem to have much strength. Frustrating.

Ann

Hi Ann

Hope you manage to sort your arm out in time. Sounds painful. I've been putting in a few miles myself over the last week or so but had to take a couple of days off the bike with a few joint niggles. Should have gone down the gym over the winter break!

Any chance of some pix of the new levers?

Cheers, Paxo

Here are the lever's I got from Moto International in America. They were quite economically priced.

Attachments

• Moto Int Levers 003.JPG
    Moto Int Levers 003.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 473
If you are doing a really long ride, more than 2 or 3 days, programme in a rest day. personally I do it ever 3rd day. Since iIretired my touring tends to be for a couple of months rather than weeks. I found that riding 3-400 each day for more than 3 days gets very wearing.
I normally choose a motocamp, a day drinking beer in the sun and chatting to bikers from other countries is a good break.

Thanks Joe. Might see if I can get the wife to bring a pair back for me when she's in the US in August. (I'll be on the Isle of Man!)

Back