• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Prospective v85tt buyer

redpat

Just got it firing!
Hi. At the title says I am considering buying a v85tt as my first bike of this type.
I have been riding a long while and have ridden all types from sports to retro but have recently been looking at this segment, apparently it's a sign of my age!
I currently own a Harley and an Enfield so would consider selling both just to have the one multi use bike.

Pat

Currently riding a meteor 350 as a hack and a sportster 1200 stage 4 as my longer ride bike.
Cheers

Yes, the V85TT is very versatile. I bought mine for adventure riding because my BMW R1150RS is not suitable for dirt/gravel at all. The V85TT could be my only bike if I did not already have the RS because the V85TT is great on the highway, in the corners, and on dirt/gravel for back road exploring. The RS has better wind/rain protection and is faster for long-distance trips on pavement, but cannot handle gravel roads.

I have nothing against BMW's at all but they just lack something! I don't know if it's character or that they are just too clean & clinical for me. I like to feel something when I ride and my current bikes give me a dose of that, I would like to keep that in a more all year, all purpose bike. Perhaps I'm just being fussy.

Redpat, I've had a couple BMW's, once you get a boatload of miles on them, especially a boxer, they get character and then you get so many miles on them you cant sell them! I had a R1150RT with about 125,000 miles ran perfect it was darn near sell proof. But the V85TT has that coolness right outta the box!

Thanks Dave, that's an interesting point. I hadn't thought of it from that angle. But....there is just something about my personality that likes something a little bit left field. I don't know why, I've always been like that, it certainly isn't intentional. I always find myself shying away from the mainstream and routing for the underdog. I've always taken the road less travelled. Although, there has to be a compromise as I don't want a bike where bits fall off and there is no reliability. I think perhaps that is what I'm trying to weigh up as I believe the performance is adequate and although subjective I think the v85tt is a work of art aesthetically.
Cheers

Yes that says a thousand words. I am keeping my eye out for the right bike at the right price and working out how I'm gonna explain it to my wife! I think it will replace my sportster for sure, what I'm struggling with is whether to let my meteor 350 go too as it's such a brilliant little run around for the gym hop or nipping to the shop. I'm just not sure I can justify having two bikes still when my new bike is such a good everyday, all year bike.

Hi. At the title says I am considering buying a v85tt as my first bike of this type.
I have been riding a long while and have ridden all types from sports to retro but have recently been looking at this segment, apparently it's a sign of my age!
I currently own a Harley and an Enfield so would consider selling both just to have the one multi use bike.

Pat
Hi Pat, you sound a lot like me. I've owned cruisers, nakeds/standards, dual sports, and most recently had been riding a Triumph Street Twin. I loved the Street Twin but wanted to start covering many more miles in comfort with occasional dirt roads mixed in.
I took the plunge last April and bought the V85TT, my first adventure bike and first Guzzi.
I considered a used BMW 850 GS and looked hard at the Triumph Tiger 900, but the Guzzi won me over with its character and surprising value. Fully outfitted with hard luggage, it was still thousands less than the Tiger. She handles great and is fast enough for me. I love the shaft drive, cruise control, the engine, and the suspension soaks up the bumps.
I was concerned about excess heat from air cooling but this has not been a problem for me.
If I've learned anything over my 30+ years of riding and loving motorcycles it would be not to spend too much time comparing specs that may have little to do with how enjoyable the ride is. In that regard, the V85TT hit the sweet spot for me.
Good luck with your decision!
-Keith

Attachments

• IMG_20220604_171327864.jpg
    IMG_20220604_171327864.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 4
Hi Pat, you sound a lot like me. I've owned cruisers, nakeds/standards, dual sports, and most recently had been riding a Triumph Street Twin. I loved the Street Twin but wanted to start covering many more miles in comfort with occasional dirt roads mixed in.
I took the plunge last April and bought the V85TT, my first adventure bike and first Guzzi.
I considered a used BMW 850 GS and looked hard at the Triumph Tiger 900, but the Guzzi won me over with its character and surprising value. Fully outfitted with hard luggage, it was still thousands less than the Tiger. She handles great and is fast enough for me. I love the shaft drive, cruise control, the engine, and the suspension soaks up the bumps.
I was concerned about excess heat from air cooling but this has not been a problem for me.
If I've learned anything over my 30+ years of riding and loving motorcycles it would be not to spend too much time comparing specs that may have little to do with how enjoyable the ride is. In that regard, the V85TT hit the sweet spot for me.
Good luck with your decision!
-Keith
Hi KmanS, that's a great reply. I think you are right and I've had em all too! I've done comparing the specs as to be honest if that was the case and it truly mattered to me I wouldn't be looking at the MG.
I think where it does win is the things you can't measure or are subjective. It has a unique look only a mother could love, luckily Im one of them. Also, it's happiness and grin factor. It's hard to define but sometimes a bike just looks and feels right. That's what I'm hoping as all the ingredients are there. The days of racing my street triple R or CBR are in the past. I enjoy riding the back lanes or nipping down the motorway (only option) to get to my favourite beach, loaded up and possibly with a passenger. Yes the Harley is capable but it's let me down a bit recently and it's not a particularly well handling bike on anything remotely twisty, add a drop of moisture and it turns into a bucking bronco on stilts.
Thanks again for the reply,
Regards
Pat

I think you may have found the winner then! 👍 My dealer let me take one out for an hour or so before making a final decision. I felt comfortable right away, even though I'm short. I just shift a little on the seat and then my left foot is flat. Sitting high up definitely gives you a better view of the road.

I think you may have found the winner then! 👍 My dealer let me take one out for an hour or so before making a final decision. I felt comfortable right away, even though I'm short. I just shift a little on the seat and then my left foot is flat. Sitting high up definitely gives you a better view of the road.
Hi, yes definitely going to spend a solid hour or so on one before I commit. Just waiting for a few hours free and a break in the weather to make the trip down to the dealer. I'm just a little worried that my 30 inch inside leg might leave me on my tip toes. Hopefully if that is the case my heavy weight should counteract that by compressing the rear spring a little.

Back