• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Pulsing front discs on a mod. 09 STELVIO

Juerg

Tuned and Synch'ed
Pulsing front discs on a mod. 09 STELVIO with ABS, I am about to complain of that issue.
My dealer refused to replace them on warranty in Switzerland.

Was there ever a recall in GB or US of BREMBO replaced by GRIMECA?

Can somebody tell me more about this issue?

Ciao
Jürg

Just bought a used 2009 Stelvio from a member here on GuzziTech and the bike is wonderful. Only one thing that I've noticed is 'pulsing' in the front brakes which is quite annoying. Called the local dealer and they said they have had to replace a few sets due to lateral runout (front discs). Bringing mine in soon as it's still under warranty.

My hint:
Check that the pads not have made a corrosion spot on the discs. It may be hard to see in low light. On my bike it appears when driving in wet weather (or after washing), stopping and then parking for a time (days).
The spots have a much higher friction, making the bike a kangaroo...
You have to use a soft emery cloth to remove the spots, brake cleaner doesn't help.

My '07 Norge had pulsing brakes, noticeable just before the bike came to a stop. The problem was not with the discs but with the buttons that attach the disc to the carrier. The solution is to break the buttons free, they should turn with just finger/thumb pressure. I used an allen head cap screw (5mm X 20mm ?), a matching lock nut, a allen driver bit, and an electric drill. Insert the screw through the hole in the button, lock it in place with the nut. Chuck up the allen bit in the drill and use the drill to spin the button. Just a touch of lube will help. Once you do this with all the buttons they should move freely and the disc will then be able to center itself. My pulsing is gone. I'll probably have to do this again from time to time because it's caused by surface corrosion and crud in the mating surfaces.

Peter Y.

Guzzi-Leif said:
My hint:
Check that the pads not have made a corrosion spot on the discs. It may be hard to see in low light. On my bike it appears when driving in wet weather (or after washing), stopping and then parking for a time (days).
The spots have a much higher friction, making the bike a kangaroo...
You have to use a soft emery cloth to remove the spots, brake cleaner doesn't help.

This is always what I have found. I use a course scothbrite grinding disk in an air grinder to clean the deposits off. I've read that the deposits are caused by holding the brake hard against a hot disk at a stop. You should hold the brake gently once you are stopped so the brake pad material doesn't transfer to the disk. Once that happens, you have a spot that grabs. And once it starts, it will continue to build up more and more material on that high friction spot and get very bad if you don't clean it soon.

Thanks gents, will give this a try. It makes sense to me because when you squeeze the brake lever, the initial "bite" has no pulsing feeling to it, it's only as you come to the last part of the stop and you feel as if you are sort of pogoing to a stop :) If it's still not good after the 'cleaning' then will go see the dealer to have the lateral runout checked on the discs.

pyoungbl said:
My '07 Norge had pulsing brakes, noticeable just before the bike came to a stop. The problem was not with the discs but with the buttons that attach the disc to the carrier. The solution is to break the buttons free, they should turn with just finger/thumb pressure. I used an allen head cap screw (5mm X 20mm ?), a matching lock nut, a allen driver bit, and an electric drill. Insert the screw through the hole in the button, lock it in place with the nut. Chuck up the allen bit in the drill and use the drill to spin the button. Just a touch of lube will help. Once you do this with all the buttons they should move freely and the disc will then be able to center itself. My pulsing is gone. I'll probably have to do this again from time to time because it's caused by surface corrosion and crud in the mating surfaces.

Peter Y.

This was the case on my aprilia. One of the things we, ape riders, did was to take off the disc and flip it over, you will find a petal type washer, take a flat strong blade and bend up every other petal. It takes a while but is worth the effort, 30k miles without pulsing and no more cleaning and spinning the buttons. Some went even further bending back all the petals but I'm not sure it's needed.

windy

It would be interesting to know how many cases of "Pulsing Brakes" over the years have been attributed to warped rotors, when in fact the problem was one of the ones mentioned below, where some simple clean-up and maintenance solved the problem.

I'll bet it's a LOT!

Lannis

I've just had mine replaced under warranty at 18 months old and 4,700 miles, Grimeca for Grimeca. Slightly different pattern this time, hope they last...

Back