• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Question about shifting

oceanluvr30

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to shifting? Is it better to be in a lower gear and higher RPM or higher gear lower RPM.

As with everything, it depends on how you are riding. Just cruising on the flat and in no hurry, the higher gear and lower RPM may be OK. But if out on curvy roads, the lower gear with higher rpm works out better.

With me it all comes down to feel. If it "feels" like it is time to shift then shift. Sounds silly but it comes down to being one with the bike (I know, a little to Zen like :lol: ).

Most important thing is being in the right gear for right situation. In town,or when quick acceleration may be required I like lower gears (ie reving a little higher). That way there is always plenty of torque to get out of a situation. Open road or in the country, keeps the revs low (higher gears) to save fuel and smooth out the ride. Easy shifting to 6th gear.

oceanluvr30 said:
Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to shifting? Is it better to be in a lower gear and higher RPM or higher gear lower RPM.

1. Better to be in a lower gear and higher RPM when one desires significantly quicker acceleration from additional throttle input.

2. Better to be in higher gear lower RPM when one desires minimal vibration/engine noise and maximum fuel economy.

Simple. Good question though! :D

The advice I've read above is generic. I'll add some small block/guzzi specific factors for you to consider.

The idle should never be too low and you should accelerate with revs rather than torque. Plod along in a low rev- high gear and increase gently but don't try and accelerate too quickly.

Why? The bike has a V-twin engine so it has approx 180 deg of power in 720 degrees of rotation. Every 2 revolutions there are 2 power pulses. The more revs for the same acceleration means that each pulse is smaller and the drive train doesn't absorb as much stress. Good cush drive, good clutch technique when changing and smooth throttle help lessen this.

To add to this the friction plate for a small block is out of a 4 cyl Fiat and made of 2 thin metal plates riveted together. There are a number of cush springs to help absorb some of the shock from gear changing but the plate was never designed to be used in a Guzzi twin. It is known to crack and let the springs escape, one by one. These will get chewed up to a certain degree. If you remove the starter you will be able to see tiny sparkly spots where the springs have hit the inside of the housing.

Big blocks have issues with this too but it is wear between the clutch plates and drive hub that is the result and will eventually make clutch function an impossibility as the wear notch stops the plates sliding along the hub splines. Later spline design improves this but doesn't eliminate it.

More revs, means more but smaller pulses over the same time period means less stress and wear on the drive train. The small block u-joint is a single cross affair and is significantly smaller than a big block too so less capable of absorbing shocks.

Small blocks are generally happier about 1000rpm more than a big block Tonti. I keep my V65 happy between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm. I'll coast at lower but as I've written, I am careful.

Up to you.

Rod

Thanks guys, so if i digested all the good info, higher revs, lower gear is better....Did i get that right? :lol:

Back