• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Questions about worn engine components

motomatt

Just got it firing!
Hi everybody, longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm working on a 1971 Ambassador. I have the engine apart and I'm in the process of acquiring parts for a rebuild. I'm curious about a few things that I am finding, and having found no answers using the search, have some questions for the group:

1. How much camshaft end play is acceptable? With the bronze thrust bearing and timing gear in place, I measured 0.004" (~0.01mm). Is this acceptable, or does the thrust bearing need to be replaced? I should add that the distributor gear was pretty badly worn, but the wear was uneven, possibly due to poor heat-treatment? Or is this related to the camshaft end play being excessive?

2. I plan to install a new oil pump. How much wear on the engine block from the oil pump gears is acceptable? There are 2 circular patterns on the front machined surface that the oil pump bolts to. I can feel them with a fingernail. I have photos that I can post, but I can't do it at the moment. Will post the photos later.

3. The sealing surface on the rear end of the crankshaft is damaged (gouged), probably by a whatever tool the previous mechanic was using to pull the oil seal. I'd like to use a repair sleeve, but the size tables I've found don't list a size that matches the micrometer reading that I'm getting. The end of the crankshaft that the seal rides on is reduced a bit from the main journal size, which appears to be 2.125" nominal. I measured the sealing surface diameter at 2.085". Repair sleeve size tables show #99205 (shaft size 2.057" - 2.063") and #99210 (2.122" - 2.128"). Will the #99205 stretch enough to fit? Has anybody else done this?

Thanks for helping with this.

Matt

The oil pump may be your biggest issue. As far as I know the oil pump is no longer available for the gear driven engine timing . That are still available for timing chain engines. You need to get a factory workshop manual that lists the dimensions and under/oversize dimensions for rebuilding. For the crankshaft, I think your easiest solution is to have a machinist make a sleeve to the original dimension that you need after turning down the crankshaft. Original dimension for the crankshaft is 53.970 to 53.931mm or 2.1248 to 2.1233 inch. The dimensions are from the factory manual that Premier motors released in the 70s.

I'm thinking MG Cycle still makes gear driven oil pumps to order but they aren't cheap at nearly $400 when I last looked. There is a used one on FleaBay for $50 but you take your chances there.

Thanks for replying. I tried to explain the issues I was seeing in the clearest possible manner. Looks like I missed it. I will try again:

Camshaft: The journals mic in spec for diameter. The camshaft end play (axial movement, fore-and aft movement) measures 0.004" Is this acceptable? I cannot find any figures for this in the factory manual that Premier motors released in the 70s.

Oil pump: As stated, I plan to replace it. They are available, new manufacture, from HMB in Germany. My question was about the witness marks (wear marks, whatever you want to call them) caused by the spinning gears running on the front of the engine block. How much is tolerable? Should I worry about it?

Crankshaft: The aft end of the crank, that the rear main seal rides on, has a reduced diameter for about the last half-inch or so (image attached). It is smaller than the dimensions the John has quoted, above. Has anybody used a repair sleeve on one of these? (trade names: Redi-sleeve, Speedi-sleeve, etc.)

Your camshaft end float is fine .
Without a clear picture of the oil pump wear marks , judgement will be sketchy .
In the past I'd used a Redi-sleeve on the alternator rotor on my Le Mans 2 , worked fine .
If the gouge is under say .020" , you might consider having it turned down , the crank
seal has significant squeeze on the crank . Peter

On you camshaft free play, It wouldn't hurt to replace the bronze thrust plate while you have it apart. 0.004 inch may be acceptable, but I's rather see it around 0.001 to 0.002 inch. Then replace the drive gear on the distributor.

I'm thinking MG Cycle still makes gear driven oil pumps to order but they aren't cheap at nearly $400 when I last looked. There is a used one on FleaBay for $50 but you take your chances there.
Thanks for that Scott. When I had to replace the input impeller for a 72 Eldorado (timing gears) oil pump, I picked up the last one Harper's had and they were not available from Guzzi.

Crankshaft: The aft end of the crank, that the rear main seal rides on, has a reduced diameter for about the last half-inch or so (image attached). It is smaller than the dimensions the John has quoted, above. Has anybody used a repair sleeve on one of these? (trade names: Redi-sleeve, Speedi-sleeve, etc.)

View attachment 27471
The dimensions in the manual are for the part that is in the rear main bearing. Moto-Uno's suggestion to torn the area down is a good one, or change the rear main seal position slightly by not seating as deep. That is the factory seal driver places the end of the seal slightly inboard of the rear main bearing housing. Try a flush to housing.

Just my opinion...
Camshaft: .004" is fine.There should not be a ridge worn into the gear side of the thrust plate, if there is replace it.
Oil pump: Unless the swirl marks are deep into the case, then I wouldn't worry about them.
Crank: I've done as Peter suggests: having the seal area ground and polished to remove any imperfections.

Here are some images of the questionable parts:

The first 2 show the camshaft thrust ring. It measures 0.271 - 0.273 thick. No wear ridges can be discerned on either side. I think I will replace it, mainly because the thickness is not consistent - one side is thicker than the other. I could not find any reference stating the nominal thickness of this part, nor any figures for allowable camshaft end play. So I thank you gentlemen for sharing your wisdom.

The second image shows the wear marks on the engine case caused by the oil pump gears. I think I will ignore this. It seems like the only solution would be a new block. I'll install a new oil pump and hope for the best.

The crankshaft gouge: I think I'll have the end ground at a machine shop. If they can clean it up before taking too much off, great. Otherwise I'll have it ground to fit the next size smaller repair sleeve. As you can see from the image, there isn't much of a "clean" surface for the seal to ride on. Installing the seal "shallow" might not give it enough purchase to stay put, I think. Pushing the seal further into the bearing would block the oil supply, so that's out.

I appreciate all the help. You guys rock!

Matt

Attachments

• thrust ring.jpg
    thrust ring.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 14
  • thrust ring2.jpg
    thrust ring2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 13
  • gear marks.jpg
    gear marks.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 16
  • crank gouge.jpg
    crank gouge.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 16
Looking at the end of the crankshaft, a machinist should be able to polish that and still have the rear main seal do its job. After it is polished slip a seal on it. If it has noticeable drag, it should be good.

To follow up: the crankshaft was repairable. The machine shop ground the sealing surface to 2.063 and installed the repair sleeve, which brought the diameter back to 2.085. I sent my camshaft and lifters to Delta Camshaft in Tacoma. They repaired the pitted lifters and reconditioned the camshaft to like-new condition, for a very reasonable price. I highly recommend them.

Attachments

• 20230110_201556.jpg
    20230110_201556.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 10
Back