RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Welcome to the GT Forum! GuzziTech is now back to our origins; We hope you enjoy the Guzzi Global Community Forum here. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com - Store tab above. You need a different username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation with several business going at once - Sign into the Store to check on orders before contacting us. Thanks for your patience on orders. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000~2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Radial Tire Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Bncprf, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Joe Kletch

Joe Kletch Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I'm not seeing an 18 for the front -- is that what we're waiting for?

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Yes. I don't think the RA2's are radials. The RA3's are, in stock sizes. New ship date in my TR online ordering system is 7/31. Hopefully they don't push it again.

Joe Kletch likes this.
  3. Phillip Lin

Phillip Lin Just got it firing!

Hi Todd,

When will the wider radials be available at your store for purchase and install?

4. Biffalo

Biffalo Just got it firing! GT Contributor

So, any sign of Road Attack 3 tires in the US yet?

Myself, my rear tire is due (10000 km's), so I really wanted to try the radials you're talking about. But I had a hard time finding a dealer with the right dimension for the rear tire. Several online sites(european)had the front tire (the 100/90-18, not the suggested 110 width.) in stock, but no one carried the 130/80-17 rear tire. But now finally a site offers the pair. They are on order, and estimated delivery is august 23rd. Can't wait!

Hopefully the riding season in Norway still has some life to it, so I may be able to try'em on.

5. GT-Rx®

Grrrr... no, not yet. They pushed the ship date (again) to 8/30 -- this makes 90+ days from the original ship date. I am not going to hold my breath. I am desperate as I need a rear replacement for my Stone III rental with 5k miles, which is at the wear indicator now, so I'll be trying something interesting in a mix of other radials that I've tried on other bikes. I'll post when I get it fitted. I now have four sets of RA3's on (back)order with my vendor. I see that they are showing as in stock in the UK in stock sizes. Both larger sizes (110/80 & 140/70) are shown as no longer available in my ordering system. I assume this means my vendor is not able to get them, but it doesn't mean they won't be available in the US.

Do let us know how you like them.

Biffalo likes this.
  6. GT-Rx®

I've run some ADV tires on my C1100's over the years with very favorable results. Since the Conti RAIII isn't yet available, I put on a Metz Torrance Next radial in stock size to try (pic below). It's really good even with the stock front Pirelli, and the super deep tread should certainly last. Problem is, there's never a match for the front. Metzeler does offer a Z8 front in a 110/80-18 (which is now a factory recommendation) or a Dunlop RSIII in the same size. May try one when the time comes,

IMG_1842.JPG

7. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Edit: Nevermind, I googled a bit and I felt like an Idiot...

The R means Radial...hah...

okay...I have a dumb question regarding to this.

As my front & rear tires are ready to be replaced...

My tires are now...

Sports Demon has 130/80-17 M/C 65H Rear...I found equiv of Conti Trail Attack 2 with the same "-"

But with front tire currently 100/90-18 M/C 56H, and with Conti Trail Attack 2, it is not 100/90R18..."-" is now an R...

I honestly do not know the difference hence a "dumb" question...Help?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  8. cadyfatcat

cadyfatcat Just got it firing!

@TimmyTheHog If there is an "R" instead of the dash(-), it is a Radial.
    If it is a dash(-) or a "B" it is Bias ply

After 2,400 miles put on the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II would definitely still recommend them, if not more highly than before. Very little wear, great wet weather performance - all the same praises I mentioned before. Radial rear bias front in stock tire sizing.

9. GT-Rx®

For those watching this thread for the Conti RAIII's, from my importer "These are coming from Germany. They should arrive to our docks this week, then Customs, then shipped out to our warehouses. Based off of Continentals ETA's this entire year, I do not think we will have these ready to ship until October."

I'm running the Metz Tourance Next radial rear (shown above) with a (factory approved 110/80-18) Dunlop RSIII front radial on my rental Stone III. Night and day difference to the Pirelli bias-ply.

BearV7 likes this.
  10. BearV7

BearV7 Just got it firing!

Thanks for the updates. I can't wait for October so I just ordered the Metz/Dunlop combo. Does anyone have a list of all factory approved sizes?

11. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Will a 140/80-17 fit on the rear of the 7iii?

12. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti

Well, it looks like here in the US we'll have to wait a couple more months before the Continental Road Attack 3's are available. I need new tires now.

Any Guzzistas in Europe - particularly in the UK that might be able to help me out?

I can order the tyres that I need now from from TyreLeader UK
    https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike-tyres/continental/conti-road-attack-3/130-80-r17-65v-583375
    https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike-tyres/continental/conti-road-attack-3/100-90-r18-56v-583385
    but only to delivery in Europe - specifically the UK (I haven't browsed the site from another European portal to check availability in other European countries), but I would like to then, somehow, get them air mailed to the US.

If anyone has any ideas or would be willing to lend a hand - let me know!
    Bike needs to ride!! It's so sad just waiting for new tires.

13. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Just sayin but I wouldn't let a specific brand of tires stop me from riding.

Put a set of inexpensive Shinkos on while waiting for the Conti's to come in.
    I tried a set on the Griso & was actually quite pleased by the way they handled but only got 2500 miles on the rear.

14. Neville

Neville Just got it firing!

Road Attack 3 available in the UK in the standard sizes

upload_2017-8-30_21-51-44.png

BearV7 likes this.
  15. GT-Rx®

The Metzeler Klassik in that size fits, but you have to remove the final drive to get the rim/tire on/off. Other brands may vary.

16. GT-Rx®

Yes, rub it in... ;)
    Our friend Chris was asking if someone (you?) might be of help sending him a set here in the States.

Stradagene likes this.
  17. Stradagene

Yes. That would be spectacular!

If it's even a possibility... Send me a PM???

18. Kofiko

Kofiko Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

I couldn't wait because for some unknown reason the stock pirelli Sport Demons on my 2017 V7III Special (spoked wheels with tubes) kept slipping under me, and I permanently had the traction-control turned off because of that. Based on past good experience with the Michelin Pilot line I put Michelin Pilot Activ on the bike 400 miles ago (not radials, but they are rated for Tubeless and TBT), and it solved all of my traction issues instantly. I feel much more confident on the bike now - the way it should be. Michelin Pilot Activ.jpg

farmboy460 likes this.
  19. Stradagene

???
    :)

roadscum likes this.
  20. GT-Rx®

Chris has to be the very first set of RAIII's in the States (import via UK). We shall see tomorrow what my system says for shipping.

IMG_2128.JPG IMG_2131.JPG IMG_2132.JPG

BearV7, Robebop and Stradagene like this.