• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ragged fringe - hard luck?

Moz

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I got up early, new clipons, big smile and headed north out of Sydney.. :laugh:
Chatted with a bloke on a Mk V Le mans for brekky at Peats Ridgeish, but he was heading for Nelson Bay on his first ride and going too slow... came up behind some american chrome and then a red Mk II came by and we rode pretty hard down the Bucketts Way almost to Gloucester, when I had to stop for fuel - never found out who it was?

Leaving Gloucester I came up behind Roper on his green machine and we put a bit of pace on till we came up behind a cruising Cali or Nevada? We slowed and I then I switched off to enjpy the scenery :blink:

Coming down here - looking back up the way I came down:
rfr2.jpg

They were doing roadworks and the road narrowed to a single lane to cross the bridge. You can see that lip of the road on the side near the sign... I was behind Roper who went over that black tar on the hill you can see and thought 'I'll miss that' and went left without much care as to where it would take me - I didn't think I was going that fast.. I think I lost the back just a little in that dirt and then my front went from under me as it went down the lip and I went tummy surfing on the gravel :huh: :eek:hmy: So I'm lying face down and look up to see Roper disappear over the hill..

The front end had turned left and the bike had gone down on its right side in the dirt, was short a plug which had been sheared off and the clip ons were bent back but the saddle bags had saved the pipe and rear end. I was probably more shocked and pissed off at myself than badly hurt but I was glad I was wearing the full face as the chin had copped it :unsure: leather jacket, boots and gloves (pretty much) had done their job but my jeans were ripped and both knees bleeding and starting to swell. Cursed myself for putting comfort over safety and not wearing the leather on a hot day - will now buy some cordura pants with knee protectors :p

Straightened the bars up, examined the plug cable and she started - the cable was sparking but I moved it further down and it seemed ok. Tried to call Roper - no signal. Some unknown bikes went past heading back to Gloucester and it probably looked like I was just resting... Knees were already swelling up and I figured I wouldn't be riding tomorrow, so even though must have been pretty close I thought I'd head back to Gloucester, get some food and think. I did and decided I'd be better off riding back then than seeing if I could ride Sunday - its Sunday am here and I limped to the comp so glad I did.. :cheer: plus my girfriend looked after me like the little baby I am :p

The bike actually went quite well but was surging on a steady throttle. I'll probably stick it in to Motociclo if the insurer is cool with that when my le mans is back on the road :laugh:

actually this doesn't qualify for the hard luck prize, as I never made it - but I must've been very close...
it happened here, at the bottom at the river crossing, which must be just short of the rally site.. :S
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?client=f ... 17&iwloc=A

oh and there was no luck about it - I screwed up :blink:

So post some pics of the rally :cheer:

I knew *someone* was ther but I thought it was some CAli or other 'Cruiser' and just assumed that he'd forgotten something and turned around! Honest!

As it was there were two boys on Jappers just up the hill at the side of the road cleaning their visors. I actually turmed around and checked if they were OK. Never occured to me that the bloke behind had shoved it in a ditch!

As I said ona another forum. Next time you're up we's gotta do 'spension work. It'll not be a s good as the Griso stock but I'bve had a couple of both front and rear ane wsh-outs on the Gris and managed to catch it................. So have my underpanst, but their washable!!!!

Pete

Not wishing to diminish the accident but a good mate, Johnny Myers, died in Bathurst this arvo on the way back from the rally. Known by many as 'Johnny the Sheep Fucker' due to his previous survival after cutting a sheep in half with his T3 out near Coota it seems this time his luck ran out.

Fuck!!!

Pete

Two AdVriders ridden on this month and now a fellow Guzziphile. Too many, too many, too many, damn damn damn.

RIP Johnny

Moz,

It sounds like you came out of this thing not too badly, considering all the other possibilities. I know whenever I do something like this I replay all the little choices that I made leading up to the end. Seems a pretty severe penalty for just wanting to avoid a little bit of tar. Hope the Bellagio isn't too damaged.

Pete,

Very, very sorry to hear about Johnny. So far, at least, all the bits of news you have indicate that a driver was doing something totally unexpected. What's amazing is how many times somebody can do a U-turn on a highway, pull into the lane without looking, backup on a freeway because they missed the exit without anything ever happening to them. It always seems it's the other guy who gets it. It's infuriating and it's very sad.

Terribly sad.

That picture shows a man in his element.

RIP Johnny

Ah, too bad I can't split this thread... Pete, perhaps a new one? I saw where you would be collecting donations, happy to donate on behalf of GuzziTech & myself. Hopefully Johnny's riding a problem-free Guzzi in the sky now.

Thanks Todd.

For anyone interested, yes, I'm running a collection for his family. Anybody who feels it is a worthy cause can donate via PayPal to my e-mail addy; motomoda at optusnet.com.au

Forwarded msg from the Prez of the NSW Guzzi club who's rally we had all been at detailing the 'Accident'. Astoninshing incompetence. I hope charges are pressed;

I was speaking to the crash investigator of Bathurst Police yesterday about John Myers, they want some details of who he was travelling with and what time he left the site which I was able to give him.

To confirm the story,he was travelling down the Mid Lands Hwy at 3.30pm had just passed a couple of cars going up hill in the passing lane they said he was not speeding may only a few kms over.Just over the crest of the hill was car with a caravan doing a U turn over 3 lanes across double lines,with now where to go he tried to steer away plus had locked up the brakes,he went down on the left side with the bike hitting the drivers side rear wheel/quarter panel.
John then hit the draw bar of the caravan (and was most likely killed instantly), at this point the car/van was still turning clockwise so John was then run over /jambed under the van.

The driver was a 52 yo man who had been away for the w/end flying model planes, why he wanted to do a Uturn at that point we may never know.
As the investigator said once he started to perform the Uturn it was accident waiting to happen.(even in small car it could have fatal as well.)
But the bike is not that badly damaged either.

Like any road accident it has changed the lives of 2 families.
The funeral may be Friday or Monday.
Ride on John,
Brett

Pete

Very Sad news. Only just meet John on the weekend real nice guy.
marko

All,

Condolences to the family and all of his friends. Brings us all back down to earth when something like this bummer occurs...

Back