• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Random oil light

Githianki

Tuned and Synch'ed
Ok this is the second time this has happened. My oil light came on at a stoplight as I was sitting there. It would go out once I got the motor up to about 2K RPM. Once I started moving in traffic again it would do the same thing..I'd stop and it would come on. I would start going again and it would go out. Then after about half a mile or so it totally went out. First time was right after the 1st service. Bike has 2500 Miles on it. This something I can pass off as a glitch, or a sign of bad times ahead? :-

yeah I know not the best first post!

Have you been riding in heavy rain or washed the bike *enthusiastically* recently?

If so it is most likely, but not neccessarily, simply the sender playing up.

Try pulling the wire and boot off the sender and drying it or simply replacing the sender.

Having said this if it IS something more serious you shouldn't be riding the bike until the problem has been thoroughly diagnosed as inadequate oil pressure will kill the engine stone dead in seconds.

Pete

I rode to Long Island N.Y. from New Hampshire. Got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the Grand Central Parkway. I did notice while sitting there the oil light came on, due to over heating. Being air cooled, heavy traffic is not an ideal situation. Once under way the oil light went out.

Yep, the oil light doesn't just signal an oil pressure problem, it signals any number alert situations. In case of lack of oil pressure, the dashboard will show an Aladdin's lamp on the LCD, and after my low-side, it showed a light bulb with a rightward arrow. Lo and behold, my front right flasher had been ripped off ;)

You might want to check for DSB 07 and 08 errors stored in the diag menus (the code to get in is 28315 for the Norge). 07 means an anomaly in sender output at startup, 08 signals lack of oil pressure. In both cases, check oil level, do as Pete says, and replace sender (they tend to fail) if the errors are coming back persistently. If that doesn't cure the problem, have your oil pump checked!

Where you in heavy stop and go traffic prior to this ? If so I would not be too concerned.

I have a different flavor of this problem. Sometimes when I turn the key, I see the red (!) light and SERVICE on the dashboard. It may be cleared by turning the key off and on, but more often I had to start and stop the engine, than turn the key off and on. Diagnostics show codes "4" and "7"
"4" means that the sensor detects oil pressure when it shouldn't- while engine is off
"7" means that that the sensor doesn't detect the pressure when it should.
I think it strange to see both codes together, they suppose to indicate opposite conditions. I also don't understand how can "7" show up without starting the engine.

No, if I'm not mistaken, 8 is "sensor doesn't detect the pressure when it should.", 7 is anomalous sensor reading during the startup phase (sensor failure). If so, 4 and 7 together aren't that strange, it means that the sensor doesn't always act up at low (engine-off) pressure during start-up, but does later. So the ECU thinks the sensor works fine, while in fact it doesn't.

Also could mean your sump is seriously over-filled, OR there is some obstruction causing oil pressure to remain there where the sensor reads it... (heh, a Guzzi with a potential infarctus ;) )

I think the message is clear -replace the sender. They're known to be flakey.

Not the easiest job on the later motors, I found the only way was to remove the LH exhaust pipe and breather pipe to get access with a large (22mm?) ring spanner. Almost impossible to get from the top with a socket because of the alternator. Others have achieved this by removing the airbox I believe.

RJVB, sorry, you're right, I was thinking about something else. "4" stands for immobilizer controller fault, so it is still strange that both "4" and "7" appear at the same time. I don't have too much oil. This thing is going on for a while, I even changed the oil during this time.

kiwi dave, how do you know that oil pressure sensors are problematic? I don't recall seeing a lot of complaints on this board.

There are other complaints on the board about the oil sender. Mine randomly comes on at startup, then after a restart or two it goes out. Checked the codes and, nada. This has been happening for many miles, probably started with 3000 miles on the bike, now has 21,000. SO yes. I think it is a flaky sending unit.

Well as it turns out it looks as if I may have been a bit low on oil. Filled it back to right level and its OK now.

1)Define "a bit low."
2)You sayin' you actually had the oil light come on (even for a sec), & didn't check the oil level before doing anything else?

ncassidy wrote:
There are other complaints on the board about the oil sender. Mine randomly comes on at startup, then after a restart or two it goes out. Checked the codes and, nada. This has been happening for many miles, probably started with 3000 miles on the bike, now has 21,000. SO yes. I think it is a flaky sending unit.
Sounds plausible. I wonder how expensive and easy to get is this sensor.

My wife's Ducati GT1000 manual says that the oil light might come on at idle if the engine is hot, but should disappear as the revs increase.

guzzibob wrote:
1)Define "a bit low."
2)You sayin' you actually had the oil light come on (even for a sec), & didn't check the oil level before doing anything else?

Maybe a half to 3/4 of a quart(I totally admit I should have been checking it on a regular basis). I was in traffic, really no where to stop at that point. By the time I could stop and check it had gone back to normal. I checked it when I got home. I have gone about 200 miles since, and it has not come back on. And the oil level hasn't changed. I will be checking it on a regular basis from now on.

Good thing you don't have a small block, as little oil capacity as they have, down up to 3/4 of a quart probably would have blown the motor. On your big block, absent being run hard or for extended periods, probably no big deal. As the miles accumulate, the amount of oil it "burns" will decrease. Always good to keep an eye on it, top off anytime it drops more than 1/4 inch on the dipstick.

Edit-Actually, you haven't said what model you have. You do have an 1100/1200, not a 750, right?

Back