• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rattle Rattle

rgakrill

Just got it firing!
Good Evening Fellow Stelviomites;

The rattle emanating from the left hand cylinder head has now got to a volume where I cannot ignore it as advised by many on the forum. I checked the tappets and 'got on and rode' about 5,000 miles ago. Since then I have noticed that the noise only develops when the engine gets warm. On first starting it isn't noticeable. I have also found that if you wind open the throttle in a high gear a tinkling noise can be heard from the same location

I have booked the bike into my local dealer but they wont treat this as warranty work unless they can find a 'fault'. I would have thought that a rattle that drowns out the exhaust note from my 'unbaffled' Mistral can must be a fault but the dealer says that they will have to find the cause before they can claim on-line. To me, this seems more of a test of the mechanics skill because there is definitely a fault, it's just a question of whether he can find it!!!!

Having just returned from a 440 mile trip across the Scottish Borders and Cumbria the bike seems to be running just fine and, despite my best efforts to cause the fault to become terminal, the noise is the only symptom. I had the 6000 mile service done a couple of weeks ago and the mechanic pulled a real face when he listened to the noise when warm - that kind of galvanized me into taking the risk of booking it in for exploratory work.

So, in an attempt to help the mechanic locate the problem, can any of you esteemed gentlemen suggest things for him to look for. I think one of you had issues with end float on the rocker shafts? Could someone elaborate?

cheers

Ackers

Yes - definitely a metallic rattle/knock. It sounds like one of the tappets is running at a gap of about 1/4"!! But I have checked many times and it is not that!!

I had a similar rattle at one point. I doubt yours is the same, but I'll post this anyway just in case.
I took mine to the dealer, and they even used a stethoscope to try and isolate the noise. They confirmed it was not the engine, but could not tell me what was causing it. Long story short, it turned out to be the clutch bleed fitting under the seat rattling at certain RPMs. I wrapped that fitting in some cloth, and the noise went away. If nothing else, it's cheap to test and make sure your issue is not the same.

There have been a coupl of 8V motors over here that have had top end rattles thatr were eventually traced to excessive end float in the rockers due to machining faults in the rocker carriers/cam boxes. Replaced under warranty, problem disappeared. Mention it to the dealer.

Pete

pete roper said:
There have been a coupl of 8V motors over here that have had top end rattles thatr were eventually traced to excessive end float in the rockers due to machining faults in the rocker carriers/cam boxes. Replaced under warranty, problem disappeared. Mention it to the dealer.

Pete

Ahhhhhhh, the wise one has spoken :D It's pretty neat that your bike can be trouble shot half way around the globe. That's what makes this forum so great.

If not what Pete says it is, what about cam chain/tensioner? Perhaps we could start a competition to see who gets the correct diagnosis. :D
Anyway, good luck with it.

Pete

Once again you may have come to the rescue. I have measured the end float on the rocker shafts and three are 12 thou and the right hand side inlet is 11 thou. What is considered excessive?

The noise that the rockers make when you move then up and down is really similar to the noise I can hear coming from the Left Hand Cylinder Head. Thing is; given that the play is fairly consistent on both sides, it doesn't seem to stack up?

many thanks for all your replies

Ackers

I rode the bike to work this morning and did a little experiment before I switched it off. I left it ticking over and started to walk away from the bike. As I have refitted the standard silencer (dont want any warranty killing issues) the exhaust note is now quite quiet. After getting about 40 foot away from the bike I listened carefully. I could only just hear the exhaust note but the rattle was as clear as day.

I am pinning my hopes on the rocker end float issue but I have a feeling that it could be the small end bearing given how loud it is.

Would still like to know the tolerances for rocker end float though.

Ackers

As far as I remember, (And I have, as yet, have to have first hand experience of this particular thing.) it wasn't so much an end float problem per-se but a n endfloat problem coupled with poor machining or casting problem. DAniel showed me a deader when I was up in Sydney last but I can't remember the details of exactly what was wrong. Sorry.

A bloke phoned me up today from Melbourne after reading this thread and he seems to have the same problem. I dunno but he seemed like he might be interesdted in bringing it up here for a looksee. If he does I'll report back on what I find.

Pete

The bike is going into the local dealer tomorrow for exploratory works on the noisy top end.

In the meantime I have posted a video on You Tube.

Anyone got any comments? The rattle isn't as pronounced on the recording but I think you will be able to hear the knock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8fexBiGjYk

cheers

Ackers

Ackers: There was an issue with mine after the cam recall; the cambox in the right hand side was interfering with the free rotation of the cam shaft. It was only occuring at one small point of the cam rotation so it manifested itself as a knock that wasn't present at all times. I listened to the vid, it wasn't regular like what I could hear on the video,but it might be worth a look. Once this was found the cam box was replaced and ever since all the noises are normal.
FBC

Re: Rattle Rattle - UPDATE

Good Afternoon Stelviophants

The bike went into Shorrocks in Preston today for exploratory works on the mysterious knocking/rattling noise. Surprise surprise - they have traced the problems to worn cams and followers. So it now looks like All Bikes (the original supplier) never did the recall works as I have always suspected, even though they certified that they had (this was also confirmed in writing by Piaggio) and claimed the payment through Piaggio.

Obviously Piaggio cant admit that this can happen so - THEY HAVE REJECTED THE WARRANTY CLAIM - I will repeat for those of you who think they have entered a parallel universe - THEY HAVE REJECTED THE WARRANTY CLAIM.

The dealer has queried the reason for the rejection and are waiting for a reply from Piaggio. One thing is for sure - there will be a solicitor involved if they try to charge me for the work.

Last time I had a run in with Piaggio/Aprilia I spoke to a chap called Alan Rodgers (dealer liasion) who seemed to have his head screwed on properly. Trouble is he would never leave a contact number. Does anyone know how to contact him?

Watch this space - this could get fruity!!!

Ackers

Back