• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rattly Head.

londonrob

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Ok, so I've got a 10 model Stelvio NTX, with the A8 engine and its been no problem at all and runs lovely.

Its done nearly 5000 miles now and coming back from Oxford i'm hearing a rattle from the right hand head.
It sounds like someones rattling a bolt in a baked bean can.
I first heard it last week for a few miles, then it went away, but now its a constant.

From those who have had the cam follower problem does this sound familiar?

Its had the first dealer service, and I did the tappets 1000 miles ago to the correct clearances, 4thou inlet, 6thou exhaust.

I don't want to leave it to the 6000 mile service so am inclined to make a warranty call.

Rob

It may just be an adjuster thats worked loose and backed off, I'd take the cover off and have a quick look

Ian

Thats what I've been hoping, but didn't want to touch the motor till it was stone cold, and of course now its dark and peeing down! Doh...

Just popped the covers and lo and behold, one of the exhaust tappet nuts had worked loose and the adjuster had screwed out.
checked all the others, all fine and the clearances hadn't changed.
Thanks for the advice guys! :)

Just be grateful it didn't jump ship like one of mine did. If they do they disappear down into the sump quick-smart!!! Mine was made doubly 'orrible by one of the wretched sump bolts binding so I couldn't get the sump off. By bind and incredible luck the sump was able to drop just enough for me to peek inside and the nut was sitting on top of the oil pick-up strainer! Fished it out with a pair of needle-nose pliers and screwed it back on! No more problem!

Does mean one has to be carefull about torquing those nuts though. Smallblocks will split their adjusters 'Just like that' if overtorqued. I was conservative ehen I did the 8V as they also use 6mm adjusters. I'm still conservative. Just *Less* so!!!! :D

Pete

londonrob said:
Just popped the covers and lo and behold, one of the exhaust tappet nuts had worked loose and the adjuster had screwed out.
checked all the others, all fine and the clearances hadn't changed.
Thanks for the advice guys! :)

Result ! All's well that ends well :)

Not exactly!
200 miles later and more rattle rattle rattle, checked the tappets and the exhaust clearances have opened WAY up on one side.
Looks like a cam and/or follower are shot :eek:

The dealers going to let me know monday how long they are going to have to wait for parts because mines the first A8 to go pop and there are no replacement cams in the parts box.
Bummer!

Thankfully I've still got the B11 to ride, but it feels really weird after the Stelvio!

Sorry to hear that Rob, hope it's sorted soon, keep us informed.

Good luck

Ian

One week without the Stelvio, still waiting on parts.
Falling in love with the Breva all over again :laugh:

Wayne Orwig said:
Hopefully they didn't go back to the supplier that caused the first cam go around.

Nah, they didn't. Did you do your own one or didn't it need it?

I've got another one sold by retards who never did the recall or informed the owner coming in soon. If you like I'll take some pics of the different bits, (I might of already done that when I did mine and posted 'em up but I'm not sure?) anyway the *New* ones have a HLD coating on the foot and are of a slightly different shape and radius.

Pete

pete roper said:
Wayne Orwig said:
Hopefully they didn't go back to the supplier that caused the first cam go around.

Nah, they didn't. Did you do your own one or didn't it need it?

I've got another one sold by retards who never did the recall or informed the owner coming in soon. If you like I'll take some pics of the different bits, (I might of already done that when I did mine and posted 'em up but I'm not sure?) anyway the *New* ones have a HLD coating on the foot and are of a slightly different shape and radius.

Pete

I worry that some bean counter may have gone back to the old style in the new motor. You know how they can be.

Thats what I'm thinking about mine.
Its a 2010 A8 motor and before i bought it I asked the dealer if they had sorted the cam and follower problem.
Oh yes he said, theyre all ok now.

Yeah right........ :dry:

More likely some twerp at the factory found a box of the 'old' type in 'Stores' and thought

excited+face.jpg

:roll: :lol:

Pete

londonrob said:
One week without the Stelvio, still waiting on parts.
Falling in love with the Breva all over again :laugh:

Don't hold your breath :lol: Your liable to be waiting quite along time. It took Mother Guzzi 3-1/2 months to get my parts for my 09.

Thats awful, its 2 weeks now so I'll give him another week then Guzzi Assist the bike over to him.
Lets see how quick it takes then when the bikes cluttering up his workshop.
How long does it take to post some bits from italy?
Be quicker to drive there!

Wrote a sh/tty letter to the CEO in Mandello, made me feel better for 5 minutes! :D

Rob

I waited 7 weeks for a front caliper bolt (damaged by the dealer), have waited 4 weeks now for a spark lug tube,once waited 6 weeks for a speedo sensor so I think you will probably be waiting a month at least to get the parts and when it's a warranty claim they seem to take longer. It isn't the dealers who are at fault they must get sick of having to apologise, it's Piaggio who are slow but that's the problem they are a massive scooter company so must send out thousands of parts every day. Ther's a;so the other problem, they are Italian and tomorrow will always do, lovely people but they never rush unlesss they are driving/riding.

Good luck, hope the parts come soon.

Ian

Back