Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. The site owner Todd had surgery on Monday, and will be very slow to respond to all inquiries, including online Store questions.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  3. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Rear brake.

Discussion in 'CARC' started by Chris Wilson, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Chris Wilson

Chris Wilson Tuned and Synch'ed

What, if anything can be done to improve the biting power of the rear risk brake on a CARC rear end.
    I am using HH pads but it seems to me that the rear foot lever is too short and even on a mild down hill park I have to stand on the lever in order to stop the bike rolling.
    Annoying and the front brake gets used below walking pace where it shouldn't be used.
    Chris.

2. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

Sounds like a problem with the rear brake master cylinder. The rear wheel should lock or the ABS kick in with not much more than a firm press.

3. Chris Wilson

No ABS on a Bellagio but come to think of it perhaps it's the sliding head caliper not sliding and only using one side.

4. Fiat500

Fiat500 Cruisin' Guzzisti

The rear brake on my 1200 Sport was over sensitive and would lock up very easily when solo. Changed out pads to an after market set and now have much better feel.

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Possibly the caliper not sliding. Also bleed the system just in case there is a bit of air in there.

tobinh likes this.
  6. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

You have something binding and/or air in your brake line and/or a weak master cylinder piston. They should feel rock solid and work with minimal effort.

I habitually see corroded guide pins. Invariably, if the pins are corroded, then the pistons are too. Both can be easily cleaned and renewed with some brake cleaner and a triple 000 steel wool pad. Be sure to blow all of the metal dust off of the pistons and caliper and use a brake grease to lubricate the pins. I use silicon spray lubricant on the pistons and wipe off the excess with a clean rag.

NOTE: These are not Moto Guzzi calipers but the condition of the guide pins and pistons are what we are looking at.

4E4C0A5F-86A7-4BCD-88BB-B5134FA77A9F.jpeg 38A57BDA-0CDA-4FD9-A3F2-B539BAB2691D.jpeg 3B2C6209-300F-4086-8647-B2BD4A9FE4D7.jpeg

C99C34B1-3BFE-41A5-A108-2379A2E5AE9D.jpeg

BC43BD7D-75C1-481F-BB5E-E664D874C845.jpeg

D8B1A46B-1E0A-40A4-907F-17B1D7C2770B.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Moto-Uno, tobinh, GTM® and 2 others like this.
  7. BrianR

BrianR Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

An afternoon is well spent looking at brakes, cleaning pistons and the sliding pins. As Scott shows with his pictures, even the cleanest calipers can have parts that need light cleaning.

tobinh likes this.
  8. Chris Wilson

Thanks for the replies
    guys, something is not right as it is worst than a drum brake on a Honda 90.
    Bought the bike second hand after is was stored for about 4 years in a garage.
    No signs of rust or corrosion elsewhere but the pins and pistons indeed would be worthy of a look see.
    Cheers, Chris.

9. Gazdok

Gazdok Tuned and Synch'ed

Does anyone have a picture with the correct position for the spring in the rear caliper?

CARC rear caliper_1.jpg

10. scottmastrocinque

Do you mean like 6 pictures up above?

Never mind, that’s my picture again.

11. scottmastrocinque

Take a picture of your caliper and your spring and post it. You will get a reply. Pictures make everything easier if they are quality pictures.

12. Gazdok

I took my rear caliper off. The spring is meant to sit in the centre I guess, but it looks like a bit is missing.... I do not know where that might have gone. Possibly corroded away as I ride through the winter on gritted and salted roads.
    P7143912.JPG

P7143913.JPG

The spring in your picture looks different. Is that a different version or for a completely different bike?

13. scottmastrocinque

Yes, different bike. Just for illustration.

The spring lifts the pad away from the caliper and provides a very smooth, low resistance surface for the pad backing plate to slide upon, it helps to provide a better pad alignment to glide along the retaining pin(s) and of course, to quell vibration noise.

Yours, being broken in several places, no longer functions. You need to order new ones. When they are in you hand, it will become obvious how they fit in.

14. Gazdok

I have just googled for the parts.
    gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?q=caliper+spring&f=d&Model=2&search=SEARCH
    The kit contains 2 springs. the brass looking one is nowhere in my caliper. Where does that one go?

15. Tonym

Tonym Tuned and Synch'ed

The brass looking spring goes to the front of the caliper ( the brake pads fit into it).
    You can see it in your photo looks like a small lug between "the toothbrushes"

16. scottmastrocinque

E302CE41-DA7B-4D15-A02A-EFC9D0D38A65.png

Left side, silver area. Look carefully and you see the tab gripping the knuckle.

You need to THINK about what it does.

It provides a smooth low friction surface for the pad to slide on. The pads are supported and travel along these 3 places. (2 spring plates and 1 guide pin)

On the right , the slide pin runs through the hole in the pad backing plate.

In the middle, the spring plate that you still have the broken piece.

On the left, the tabs on the sides of the pad backing plates, slide in that groove and on top of the smooth, low friction, spring clip which resides over that knuckle.

This is the best I can give you. Hopefully you finally get it now.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    john zibell likes this.
  17. Gazdok

Eventually I got a nice new shiney spring. The rear wheel suddenly runs wonderfully smooth, i.e. no scraping of the pads on the disc.

For UK owners - this part seems on a back order with a few weeks wait, but BMW use / sell exactly the same part for some of their bikes with 1-day orders and it is cheaper than Moto Guzzi's. The BMW PN is: 34217671876.

john zibell likes this.
  18. scottmastrocinque

You’re welcome.