• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rear Master cylider on LMs III

Rafael

GT Reference
I'm doing some maintenance on my buddies LMs III. While adding some DOT 4 (as indicated on reservoir MC cap) I noticed that the new fluid separated from the existing fluid. So I read up on this and learned that DOT 5 does not mix with DOT 3 or 4 and figured someone had used DOT 5. So, I decided to flush the system and with new DOT 4. While pumping the foot lever, the piston started getting stuck in the depressed position, so I sprayed a small amount of silicone lube in the area, I made sure it didn't splatter and land in the MC reservoir. It worked for a little bit but then started sticking again and seems to have gotten worse. Any suggestions? Could the seals have been affected by the DOT 5 and are now incompatible with the specified DOT4? Should I go back to DOT 5? Help!

thanks

Do not use DOT 5, it is not compatible with Brembo systems. That said, since it is an older bike, make sure the area around the piston is clean and free of debris. If so, it may be rebuild time. Also you should should clean and rebuild the calipers if the system was contaminated with DOT 5 fluid. It wouldn't hurt to check the front brake (handlebar system) as well.

thanks John,

Bad news, but at least I know what's going on with the brake system. Fortunately, whom ever used the DOT 5 in the rear did not use it in the front MC. I was wondering if the calipers would be affected, oh welll. Should I split the caliper halves to replace the o-ring between them? Man, I wasn't counting on this amount of work... What about the hoses?, they're the originals.

I recnely bought a new 12mm front Brembo MC for my SP and the cap says "use DOT 3 + 5". I bet it's a typo.

thanks again, Rafael

Rafael wrote:
thanks John,

I was wondering if the calipers would be affected, oh welll. Should I split the caliper halves to replace the o-ring between them?

Yes, you need to split the calipers to replace the o-ring and the seals for the pistons. Complete kits are listed in the parts manual. Lines may be OK, but this would be a good excuse to go with steel braided lines.

john zibell wrote:
Do not use DOT 5, it is not compatible with Brembo systems. That said, since it is an older bike, make sure the area around the piston is clean and free of debris. If so, it may be rebuild time. Also you should should clean and rebuild the calipers if the system was contaminated with DOT 5 fluid. It wouldn't hurt to check the front brake (handlebar system) as well.

John
What is the difference between DOT4 & 5? I was un der the impression that the difference was to do with the temperatue it can handle.

Original DOT 5 is silicone based and has the highest temperature tolerance specification. DOT 5 is not compatible with dot 4 designed (Brembo) systems.

Dot 3 and DOT 4 are glycerine based. The difference between 3 and 4 is that 4 can withstand higher temperatures. You can probably search the web to get the specifications for operating temperatures. That said, if you are using Brembos, stick with a DOT 4 fluid.

Back