• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

rear wheel -use of tires

Slekke

Tuned and Synch'ed
The "normal" Stelvio has :
- Front : 110/80/19
- Rear : 180/55-17.
Finding rubber for the rear is a problem, since many tyres stop at 150, and a 180 is needed.

But the NTX usses rear also 17, but a 150/70/17, what means that other tyres could be used such as :
- Metz Tourance
- Bridgestone TW501
- Continental Trailattack
SO instead of a (180/)"55" 17 a (150/)"70"/17 could mean that the 55->70 the bike stand higher ! (i am 1,9m short)

1. who can confirm the use of a 17' 150/70 on the normal stelvio
2. drives the stelvia with a 150 different ?
3. who tried it ?

Slekke,
(still waiting for delivery of my stelvio)

I have the NTX rim on my Stelvio that came stock with the wider rear rim. (It's Canadian)
There is no height difference between the two due to the different aspect ratio and therefore has the same outer diameter. The bike does turn in quicker with the narrow rear tire but you adjust quickly. No issues with traction on pavement and (with Shinko 705's) works much better on gravel.

Slekke said:
SO instead of a (180/)"55" 17 a (150/)"70"/17 could mean that the 55->70 the bike stand higher ! (i am 1,9m short)

I wanted to micro analyse this question :geek: .... and even then from one tyre manufacturer to another it not the same.

55 and 70 is the aspect ratio of the tyre .... or % of width used on the side walls.
Given the rims are the same 17" the 180/55 has 99mm of side wall, the 150/70 has 105mm of side wall.
On the "180" you have 99x2 .... 198mm (7.79") of side wall added to the 17" diameter
On the "150" you have 105x2 .... 210mm (8.26") of side wall added to the 17" diameter

On the 150 you'll be 0.47" higher. :lol:

DanPez said:
Slekke said:

I wanted to micro analyse this question :geek: .... and even then from one tyre manufacturer to another it not the same.

55 and 70 is the aspect ratio of the tyre .... or % of width used on the side walls.
Given the rims are the same 17" the 180/55 has 99mm of side wall, the 150/70 has 105mm of side wall.
On the "180" you have 99x2 .... 198mm (7.79") of side wall added to the 17" diameter
On the "150" you have 105x2 .... 210mm (8.26") of side wall added to the 17" diameter

On the 150 you'll be 0.47" higher. :lol:

one other thing to consider - allowable tolerances in sizing - some years ago a tyre manufacturer's technical department told me that due to allowable tolerances in sizing one manufacturers "big" 175 section car tyre was nearer to 180 and another manufacturers 185 (of the same % aspect) was "small" and nearer to a 180 so the actual differences were smaller than the calculations would suggest.. what you need to compare is actual rolling circumference

Art
:roll:

The 180 series tire fits on the standard 5.5 inch wide rim
The 150 series tire requires a narrower NTX 4.25 inch wide rim.

Back