• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

recall claim

joeguycom

Tuned and Synch'ed
my griso has faulty cams the importers are telling me that the recall was done on the bike in 2009 and that piaggio will not revisit this(bike has 24000km) to be honest i don't think they even contacted them but who knows looks like will have to import oparts myself. Dissappointing whichever way you look at it.

DO NOT just replace the cams and tappets and 'Flush' the motor. If you want to have any hope of retaining reliability you will have to remove and inspect the oil pump, back flush the oil cooler and at the very least blow out all the galleries after removing the sump. Personally I'd remove the engine and strip it completely. To cut any corners will set you on the road to further failures and madness.

If you want to drop the donk and ship it to me I'll do it at a very advantageous price and make a photo record of it as I've been dying to get my hands on a 'Failed' motor as I simply can't break one and want to find out why the ones that go wrong do.

Pete

pete roper said:
DO NOT just replace the cams and tappets and 'Flush' the motor. If you want to have any hope of retaining reliability you will have to remove and inspect the oil pump, back flush the oil cooler and at the very least blow out all the galleries after removing the sump. Personally I'd remove the engine and strip it completely. To cut any corners will set you on the road to further failures and madness.

If you want to drop the donk and ship it to me I'll do it at a very advantageous price and make a photo record of it as I've been dying to get my hands on a 'Failed' motor as I simply can't break one and want to find out why the ones that go wrong do.

Pete

This is why it failed again almost a given this was not done.

It could be this, it could be any number of things Dan. My guess is that it will be a combination of factors, wrong oil, insufficient cleaning and inspection after the initial failure, poor tuning and maintenance. Who knows?

I'd really love to get inside one that's failed and to a last nut and bolt strip. There has to be a reason. It isn't that the design is flawed. If it was they'd ALL fail, and they don't. Mine didn't even though it had the 'Bad' tappets in for 20+000Km and when I did change them they, and the cams, were perfect. Something is being done wrong. I just have no idea what........???

Pete

Punch me off your VIN# and I'll run it through the system here. It may tell us nothing, it may also allow us to see if your sources are feeding you shit. PM me if you are paranoid.

Pete

Ordered parts from uk 512 pounds, quoted about 800us from San Antonio(but they don't ship, 1600 NZD from Melbourne and $800 nz for one cam here, so big range of prices internationally(2 cams 4 followers 4 gaskets). Sent letters of complaint to NZ importers and Piaggio somewhere in europe both ignored so far. Hopefollly bike will be up and running in February?? Let u know outcomes.Thanks for interest everyone.

Also budget for sump gasket,timing chest gasket, oil cooler overhauls and flush, hose removal and cleaning, all sealing washers associated with same, removal of primary timing system and inspection and possible replacement of oil pump.

If you do not undertake all of these steps and inspections prior to running the engine again you will have nobody but yourself to blame if it goes tits up again. Sorry, but you have been warned. I'm not saying it is acceptable you have been hung out to dry but if you hang yourself out to dry you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Pete

Joe, what year is your Griso ? I saw the engine number and it starts like my 2010 with A5.

Thanks,
Roberto.

A5 prefix denotes early motors where the cams are not shimmed for end float. Some time around March 2010 from memory the designation changed with the introduction of the A8 motor. Its principle difference being the use of shims to adjust/remove end float from the cams.

Not all A5 motors were subject to the tappet recall. Although I don't have access to the affected engine numbers directly I think that it is only bikes manufactured in '07-'08 which can be plated up to '09 which were included in the 'Technical Update' but don't take my word as gospel on that.

Pete

Just found the copy of the letter from Piaggio/Guzzi UK. It's not an electronic copy so I can't just copy it here. It's from the General Manager, Piaggio Group UK Ltd.

First of all he states that the level of warranty claims relating to Moto Guzzi is not disproportionate to the other brands within the group's portfolio.
Cam Wear.
We are fuly aware of the issues regarding the premature camshaft wear rates and for this reason the company has been working very hard to sourcealternative materials in order to fully address the problem. As a result of this hard work, Piaggio Group are satisfied that the components being supplied under warranty are of satisfactory quality and as a result will deliver mileage / use normally associated with this type of component.
As a result of this hard work, Piaggio Group have agreed to extend warranties for customers that have suffered premature failure to camshafts. I can confirm that Piaggio will continue to evaluate each case individually and if required, provide additional support to the customer if appropriate. This approach to customer issues is consistent across all Piaggio brands and is a clear commitment to support and build a trustworthy relationship with our customers.

Now I can't say if this applies worldwide, but it would seem very odd if it does not.

My Griso is a 2009 and I have only had it since July, I was told by the dealer who sold it to me and infact it was the owners own bike that it had all the recall work done on it. To be honest with all this talk still about regarding this problem I do wonder if I should cut my losses and sell the bike before it happens to me. I love my Griso SE but to be honest it I had to fork out for a complete engine rebuild well I just could not afford it.

Eddie.

Finally got my 08 Griso back last week after its third cam failure. It has been repaired again under extended warranty. This time it has been fully flushed out, has a new oil pump, new rocker carriers, rockers, cams and rocker covers. Must say I am in two minds about whether to keep it now - after four years of trouble it's difficult to believe that all will be well.

Back