• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

recall claim

eddie850 said:
My Griso is a 2009 and I have only had it since July, I was told by the dealer who sold it to me and infact it was the owners own bike that it had all the recall work done on it. To be honest with all this talk still about regarding this problem I do wonder if I should cut my losses and sell the bike before it happens to me. I love my Griso SE but to be honest it I had to fork out for a complete engine rebuild well I just could not afford it.

Eddie.

Yup. Sell it. You'll never trust it and it will nag at you. Despite the fact that as long as the tappets never had a chance to fail so the rest of the motor is beut you'll always have the fear at the back of your mind so sell it.

Pete

Ok, with out as far as to sell the bike is this a common problem? I do see afew 8V around in a number of forms and they seem to be going fine. It is only the few that seem to have had the failure. To be honest if it did go than so be it but is there anything i can do to limit the rick?

If you buy an '08-'09 model do so from a real dealer rather than a 'Shopfront'. Ensure that the bike is sound by verifying it isn't within the recal range or the recall was performed before failure occurred.

Also make sure that the machine is correctly tuned an serviced with particular attention being paid to the choice of engine oil.

The 8V only seems to fail in some markets. Why? Think about it.

Pete

Thanks Pete.
I got the bike from a company called Moto Corsa a well known Guzzi dealer here in the UK. It has had only one owner and that was the owner of the business a guy called Gorden, it is a 2009 bike. I was informed by the manager of Moto Corsa when I looked at the bike that infact it had all the recall work done on the bike. At the same time I was told that I should use silkolene 10/60 oil which I do. I have decided that I will get them to do all major services on the bike just in case I have any problem as I have been informed that if I do have an issue and the bike has been service by a dealer Guzzi will fix the problem if it happens. (see Brians post) rather then doing it my self as I do on my other Guzzi's.

pete roper said:
The 8V only seems to fail in some markets. Why? Think about it.
Pete
What is the main failure market ? I assume the creativity on oil choosings is the cause ?

Roberto.

The UK, Spain, Greece and France it would appear.

Yes, all markets have had failures but as long as the fix has been carried out with considerably greater vigour than Guzzi suggests and the correct parts are used recurring failures don't seem to happen. I couldn't even get my 'Bad' A5 motor to fail. When I finally did the cam replacement at 20,000km both cams and tappets were perfect and I know that the bike that came off the line before mine and the one after it both failed! Go figure?

Pete

Well I'm the Gordon that Eddie50 mentioned.
Yes, was my 2009 Griso SE.
Fine bike and sometimes think that I was nuts to sell it - I now ride a Benelli Amazonas.
My Griso was not on any recall list.
Had cams/tappets replaced by Piaggio at 12K miles but had to use the letter from Tony Campbell quoted in Gambalunga and above to get Piaggio to fix it under warranty as previously they had told me to bugger off as the bike was, as said by their warranty manager, too old - at 2.5 years.
Some bikes fail, some don't.
Getting parts can be a problem.
I know of a Stelvio that has taken three months just to get the bits out of Piaggio to fix it even after they agreed to do so under warranty.
Cam "group" parts supply has been a problem even a year after they found a new supplier for cams (previous supplier went bust).
Pete is right about checking and cleaning everything, especially oil pump.
The pump has reportedly been found to be a problem on those engines that have been in for second (or even third) replacements.
Really hope that they have fixed the issue now on new models and especially the Cali.
If they have got that one wrong then the company is toast as the whole Guzzle future is dependant on that being successful
Gordon.

Well thats news to me, I was under the impression they were fitted on a recall list I did not know the engine in fact went bang. Still I do trust you guys and am sure the rebuild was done well. I have only done 2000 miles on it since I picked it up and not had a problem yet.

Well I thought it was probably *That* Gordon's bike. G'day Mate and happy Christmas.

Once again this would seem to have the dead finger of the UK importer all over it. The longest I've ever had to wait for anything is six weeks and that was for a cylinder head and the bike in question was still rideable. I simply don't get the problem with 'Parts Supply'?

As for the failures? I haven't heard of a properly maintained 8V going tits-up since at least 2010. I cannot believe that climate and environment can make *that* much difference to what's happening inside the engine??? The 'New' oil pump question also baffles me as there has been no part# change and no supercession.

I have no doubt that there may still be being failures but there has to be a cause and I don't think it s either design or manufacture any more.

Pete

There is no UK importer where spares are concerned, everything is oredered direct from Italy. Normal warranty claims are also done from Italy, the UK office does not get involved unless a dealer contacts them.
It seems that staff in Italy don't know what is happening in the UK.

I know we are out of sync but no, Eddie50, the engine didn't go bang.

The technician, who did the work, examined the cams and followers very closely on the 12K mile service and determined from his extensive experience that they were not in the state they should have been. So, no engine damage but to prevent any in the future we replaced them and did all remedial cleaning work along with checking the oil pump.
The reason I sold it and bought a Benelli is that we are a main dealer for them and I like to ride what we sell - and though I love MV Agusta, our other dealership, they don't have anything yet that takes panniers or is a good two-up machine so not good for me as a main bike. 2014 may be a different story.

Co-coincidently my prior new Guzzi, a Centauro, also had cams go but at least they lasted 25K miles. Similar thing and that excessive wear was found on detailed analysis on a routine service.

Still have 5 Guzzis but they are all vintage singles.

Going through the workshop at home reminded me that I have a set of Hepco Becker pannier frames (and 42l panniers) for a Griso that need to find a new home.

As Brian kindly pointed out, parts for all Piaggio brands get shipped from the factory's warehouse but sometimes they don't have them in stock. Our experience was that after Piaggio took over Guzzi that parts supply, which prior to their ownership were challenging, is massively improved. Wish other manufacturers were as good to be honest. However some parts get on long deliveries simply because Piaggio has none in stock and are on back order from their own supplier either through greater demand than planned or the supplier went bust - happened with screens a couple of years ago as well as the then cam maker.

Cheers
Gordon

Hi Gordon. Thanks for clearing that up and to be honest if it had of gone I know you guys would of done a top notch job of repairing it. On a personal note I felt Guzzi made a mistake when it comes to Moto Corsa. I know I will be using you for the next service on the bike and I know many people who hold you and Moto Corsa in high regard, that includes myself.

Back