• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Red 1987 Moto Guzzi v75 issues and CR Proj

eco

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi there folks. Just bought this bike and still learn how she ticks. I will be posting some changes on my project and asking for help and ideas now and then. First of all can you guys comment on oils and filters for this model (engine, gear, transmission, fork etc), tips on other oils like mobil, repsol, because where i´m from that´s what we have. I´m having a brake foot pedal issue and need to see a photo closeup, because can´t seem to install spring(very rusty) and don´t if it is in good condition.

My ideas for this project are(for starters ):
1. round headlight
2. lower suspension(does anyone if i can am think about 5cm
3. install CR handlebar
4. round indicator
5. round crome mirrors

Thanks
Philip

P.s. will be keeping it red and will try not to cut and keep original parts safely just in case

Attachments

• xteste.jpg
    xteste.jpg
    983.2 KB · Views: 1,758
  • IMAG0861.jpg
    IMAG0861.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,758
For oils Mobil 1 will be good. I would use 15W-50 in the engine, 75W-90 in the gearbox, and 85W-140 in the rear drive. Actually any good synthetic will be fine. For the other questions I'm sure someone will jump in.

Thank for the replie John and what about oil for front suspension?

Come on guys what is beeing used around there, anyone using
putoline,
repsol,
bp,
mobil,
galp
or motorex
let me know.

These are the oil I have acess to locally.
Anybody got advise on brembo brake bleeding? Haven´t had any luck yet! Have to get a bleeding bump because i´m a newbie at this.
Lowering suspension tips anybody, took all screw off and still won´t go down. Do I really have to bang that hard with a screw on the top and bottom yokes?
Just recieve some goodie for the transformation including beautiful handlebars which I´ll as some as....

Later and feedback away please

I don't remember the oil specification for the forks. You can get a service manual here http://guzzitek.org/gb/cadres_gb.htm

As for lowering, sliding the tubes up in the triple trees shouldn't be difficult. Loosen the clamp screws (Allen heads I believe). Be sure to use a jack under the engine so she doesn't fall on her nose. Shorter shock could be tricky. I'd see if Ikon list shorter ones for you machine. http://www.ikonsuspension.com/

Hi Guzzistas
Thanks John for feed back.

Have started to recieve some goods, here is a pic. Will be posting more info on proj as soon as possible. You guys can comment constructively please.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0929.jpg
    IMAG0929.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,646
New valves and lighter valve springs would be a start. V75's are a grenade. Possibly the most fragile engine ever built at Mandello. I was working at a shop in London at the time they were new. Some of them dropped a valve in less than a hundred miles!!!

Pete

Thanks for the advice and feedback Pete, i´m on it, going to search ebay for new valves and lighter valve springs. Ebay is my lifeline because I don´t Moto Guzzi techs nor garage on my island.

Anyone have any thoughts on the brake system?
This bike has the brake rear and and left front via foot lever and the right front with the hand brake. Can I modify front brakes by just changing hose using the same master cilinder, so hand brake brakes both front discs and block the master foot cilinder exit to front brake. Has anyone done this or is it a bad idea.
Comments please

eco said:
Anyone have any thoughts on the brake system?
This bike has the brake rear and and left front via foot lever and the right front with the hand brake. Can I modify front brakes by just changing hose using the same master cilinder, so hand brake brakes both front discs and block the master foot cilinder exit to front brake. Has anyone done this or is it a bad idea.
Comments please

The integrated systems works well once you get accustomed to it. If you do decide to de-link the brakes you will need a different front master cylinder. I rode integrated brake bikes for years and when I got an 1100 Breva without the linked brakes it took some adaptation on my part. Personally I like integrated brakes, but is all what you are accustomed to.

Thanks on the comment John, it´s just that i´m used to Japanese Motorbikes as you can see by the pic having de-linked systems. But I will try the linked system for a while. Still recieving goods but going broke:) so I doubt that I will finish project on this first fase! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMAG0796.jpg
    IMAG0796.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 1,561
eco said:
Thanks on the comment John, it´s just that i´m used to Japanese Motorbikes as you can see by the pic having de-linked systems. But I will try the linked system for a while. Still recieving goods but going broke:) so I doubt that I will finish project on this first fase! :mrgreen:

When cornering there is a technique with the linked brake system for very smooth transitions. Brake as you normally would using both the hand and linked brakes, at time of roll on, maintain the integrated brake ans you gradually roll on the throttle and gradually release the integrated brake. Very smooth transition which consumes less traction allowing for slightly higher cornering speeds. I use the technique quite a bit on my MkV, I wish I could use it with the 1100 Breva.

Hi Guzzistas. Anyone know of a site with good brembo information, because I suspect I will have to rebuild my Brembo foot master cylinder and I would like to now my exact master cylinder reference. I tried to bleed my brakes but oil will just not flow when i press foot level to pump. I even removed the hose that goes to back brakes but nothing. I going to unmouted master cyl to clean with petrol. Project is crawling and next time the some asks when will it be riding I´m going to pop them one :D :lol:

I have to learn on how to clean the 2 carbs:( I noticed that when I have choke open, the left hand carb leaks all over gasoline. Any thoughts on this, maintenance I guess.

Eco, do an internet search and you should come up with plenty of info on rebuilding Brembo cylinders, especially on Ducati sites.

But you may just need to replace seals, and not do a genuine re-build.

Joe

Great help and feedback as usual, Joe and John.
I´ve an idea for making my own light console and been checking some 12v led lights on ebay for the dash indicator(ambar), lights hi(blue), low(ambar), Neutral(green), batery(red), oil(red), fuel(red). So what do you guys think any tips on this. Will be using about 8leds, think it will look cool to what the old config looks like. Will be keeping originals in safe place :)

This babe is going to make me broke!:) B)
Waiting for 10kg(oils etc) worth of goodies from by brother in the UK, this week.

I'm not a guru on LEDs. Try posting again starting a new topic, to attract the attention of the guys that have used them.

And as always, let us know what works.

Hey Guzzistas does anyone know sites for 1987 moto guzzi v 75 CR complete seats, UK or Germany(europe) would be great. On the other hand a seat base could be cool so I can ask someone local to modify. Cheers

Hi all project still crawling along! How can I tell if my 1987 v75 is a 2 valve ou a 4 valve por cylinder with out opening anything? Any comments?

I´ve started the bike just to let is run and listen to the beautiful sound and on the right side the block and pipe heat up much more than on the other side! Any comments?

Will be rebuild foot master cylinder and carbs! Hope I manage seeing I´m no mecanic.

At the bottom are pics before and now.(but already bleed front right brakes and have switch gears on and throttle working.

Still not decided on the back part, just know I want it shorter and flowing with the fuel tank which will be red nad the back light will be small and round.

Helmet? a Davida Jet would perfect but they are so darn expensive for me!

Cheers

Attachments

• HPIM0176.JPG
    HPIM0176.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 522
  • HPIM0224.JPG
    HPIM0224.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 521
  • HPIM0292.JPG
    HPIM0292.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 521
eco said:
Hi all project still crawling along! How can I tell if my 1987 v75 is a 2 valve ou a 4 valve por cylinder with out opening anything? Any comments?

I´ve started the bike just to let is run and listen to the beautiful sound and on the right side the block and pipe heat up much more than on the other side! Any comments?

At the very least, you should do a valve adjustment. It only requires removal of the valve covers. That will answer your question if it is 2 or 4 vavle per cylinder, and may cure the un-even heat issue. You will probably need to syncronize the carbs as well for the un-even heat problem. Time to become a mechanic if you aren't one now.

Ok thanks John, will try looking at removing the valve cover, so that means will have to get some new gasket too just in case. I will try to seem to know what I´m doing. :shock: I´ve been taking photos of this whole adventure and will leave a pic showing the values. It might even lead to more feedback. About syncronizing the carbs(I guess that is tunning the to screw which I guess one is gas and the other is air intake) I will have to study what to do and the value ajustments. Slowly but surely:) I´d love to take this babe for a short ride on christmas morning :) ho ho ho

Attachments

• HPIM0206.JPG
    HPIM0206.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 501
Back