• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Reinstalling airbox onto TBs

coldcanuck

Tuned and Synch'ed
I attempted to remove the airbox to get at my stepper motor to clean the leads on the motor. However I gave up trying to do so because the airbox is one big piece and forks into the TBs - the fork is two wide to slip thru the frame. I didn't want to remove the two orifices that fork to the TBs because they themselves look difficult to reinstall, so I decided to take another approach. I attempted to reinstall it, but it was challenging getting the circular airbox ends reattached to the TBs because it is a tight space and the circular fit is a very tight tight. This is compounded in that you have to simulataneously slide both sides on together. I struggled for 10 minutes before I had to call'er quits for the evening. Any ideas how I can make this an easier task or do I continue to struggle at it until I finally succeed?

Cory

If you get the airbox in first and then soak the trumpets in hot water it makes them a lot more flexible. I haven't done this on a Stelvio yet but I've done t on a Griso that way.

Anyway, I should offer a big 'Thank You' for a great night out last night!!!

Pete

pete roper said:
If you get the airbox in first and then soak the trumpets in hot water it makes them a lot more flexible. I haven't done this on a Stelvio yet but I've done it on a Griso that way.

So you removed the trumpets off the airbox? I was reticent to remove them because they look like a bitch to jam back into the airbox, so I was trying to install the airbox/trumpet combo in one piece. Maybe I'll separate the two tomorrow...

pete roper said:
Anyway, I should offer a big 'Thank You' for a great night out last night!!!

No Prob - my pleasure. I think that must be a record for Guzzi bikes together in this city (a measly three).

Cory

coldcanuck said:
So you removed the trumpets off the airbox? I was reticent to remove them because they look like a bitch to jam back into the airbox, so I was trying to install the airbox/trumpet combo in one piece. Maybe I'll separate the two tomorrow...
Cory

Yes ... remove them from the airbox but slip them on the TBs first.(Without tighten the clamps of course!)
This will allow you to rotate and align the intake tubes with the airbox.
When you install the airbox in place you can .... so to speak clip them on the airbox.

Because of the angle its hard to install the intake tubes when they are on the airbox.

I did this on my B11 when i did the stepper motor mod, I didn't put the trumpets in hot water but a squirt of WD40 and a small flat bladed screwdriver got them back in the airbox ok.
Fiddly, but do-able ;)

If you wrap the rubbers with a rag soaked in boiling water , or soak the rubbers themselves in boiling water it will soften them up and will be alot easier to install

Thanks for the suggests - it took me 90 minutes and two tries but I finally got them in. That's certainly a non-trivial task (to put it politely). I soaked them, oiled them, and and used the cottern pin puller and finally got them in.

Thanks John for identifying the cotter pin puller. I got an uber screwdriver set and it had that device and another similar one. I thought they looked more like dental instruments than mechanic's tools, but you cleared that up.

Cory

Back