• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Replacement Carc

Thanks for all your input especially pete whos honest approach I like. Sorry i'm not a good communicator. whats wrong with running the bike on the centre stand to check the drive train? I run it in 1st, 2nd,3rd . With any gear engaged and the big wheel spinning after 20s or so it hits its transmission bad spot and the whole bike shakes beyond its normal vibration to the point shakin sideways of its stand. This is the best way to demostrate the noise/fault condition. If you run it on the stand will the speed sensor (if thats from the front wheel) produce a false error? Assuming its a false error will the ecu realise this after a while and rest the error condition. Yes the shop took the shaft out. when I delvered the bike i did the center stand test and demonstrated with my ear that you can hear the noise of metal grinding coming from behind the gearbox. The shop confirmed the uj joint is there. I am not happy with the shop because after a week and £170 I have achieved nothing. Today I'll retun asking them to replace the shaft and if that doesnt fix it they take the cost since I already paid for the diagnosis. The book refers to special tools to remove the swinging arm? How hard is it? could your average dork do it? That last bigger job I did was replace my steering head bearings on my Deauville.

Nel, I've TRIED to explain why running the bike on its centrestand in gear is a bad idea. Doing this gives NO indication that the bike has a prblem. It DOES indicate to me that you are TRYING REALLY HARD to find something wrong with the bike!:blink:

The Driveline isn't supposed to be run without the load of the bike and rider on it. To you the wheel may seem 'Heavy' but in the engineering terms of the forces the driveline is designed to take it is very small.

Put your bike on the centrestand. Rock the wheel with the bike in gear but the engine off. You'll feel backlash in the drive. This is quite normal and should of been explained to you as such.

I think you are worrying unduly. At certain revs the harmonics in the drive train will start causing the wheel to buck and lash making a horrible noise.

As I said, the only way to know for sure is to take it to bits but it sounds to me as if you're chasing a problem that doesn't exist.

All usual caveats related to internet diagnosis apply.

Pete

Yes your right. I took the bike back to the shop. The service error (speed sensor) cleared itself. When I got there I demonstrated to the same guy that at idle in gear on the center center perodiclly it clangs excessivly, gashes metal bucks like it going to jump of it's stand. Last time he said it was faulty. this time he said they all do that. The shop said different things like it needed a new carc/shaft, now on balance it's improved. So I accept that maybe I imagined the worst, still have a lot to learn but an thankful the advice is now I don't have to spend any more.

nel wrote:
Yes your right. I took the bike back to the shop. The service error (speed sensor) cleared itself. When I got there I demonstrated to the same guy that at idle in gear on the center center perodiclly it clangs excessivly, gashes metal bucks like it going to jump of it's stand. Last time he said it was faulty. this time he said they all do that. The shop said different things like it needed a new carc/shaft, now on balance it's improved. So I accept that maybe I imagined the worst, still have a lot to learn but an thankful the advice is now I don't have to spend any more.

Nel, you aren't a mechanic. You aren't expected to be able to work stuff like this out, but you MUST understand that if you go looking for problems you'll find 'em:laugh: .

I'm no rocket scientist but when I got my first Guzzi 30 years ago I can clearly remember starting it and knocking it into gear on the stand. Back then I was well 'Wet Behind The Ears' and the carbs were probably less than perfectly synched and the idel mixtures were definitely questionable and it made a HORRIBLE noise. Thing is, it didn't actually do it while I was riding and when I looked at the parts book I could clearly see what was happening. What was happening was I was being a 'Rhymes with Runt' and abusing the shit out of something by using it in a way that it was never meant to be used! You have carpet in your home? You don't set fire to it at the onset of winter and then compalin the house has burnt down do you? (At least I hope you don't!)! So why would running a transmission with uneven power pulses from the engine be a good idea on something which is always supposed to work with a positive or negative load?

FWIW I think the cush drives in the driveline of the 8V are a bit inadequate. I can hear the pinnions hammering ona low, steady throttle. I don't like to think what it's doing to the whole lot back from the crank! You want to know my sollution? I change down a gear and use a bit more fuel and knife a few more whales and melt a bit more icecap, (But a lot less than the poorly maintained Mazda 121 that tried to run me off the road today in a cloud of oil-smoke!). Ride it where it feels *right* and it probably is!!!

DON'T TRY AND MAKE IT DO SHIT IT ISN'T MEANT TO DO!

(And find a mechanic who can explain stuff to you and will think about things before opening his gob and spewing BS. Best thing you can hear from a person who is looking at your bike is "I Don't Know." Followed by "But I can find out".

Pete

Nel, where are you in the UK?
It seems to me that you would benefit from meeting other owners, and being able to talk through your worries/problems.
The Guzzi club here has branches throughout the country, and most times you can meet up with someone who has "been there already".

Ok so I'm embarrased, a fault of my own making. I'm more use to little printer plastic cog drive trains where on iffy tooth cause all sorts of problems. Still Pete's contributions always enlighten and make me laugh. Brian's dealer repaired my bike after a rear shunt and tried to fob me off with replacement panniers with no locks or rear outrigger, wouldn't look at a warranty issue cause they didn't supply the bike, so I took it Cambridge where the best Guzzi garage exists. Guzzi are like bmws you need deep pockets.

There is certainly no need for embarrassment, we have all been there ourselves.
As has been said so many times, there is no such thing as a daft question, just daft answers.

I have heard many speak very highly of that Cambridge dealer. Pity i'm not a little nearer.

Back