• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Resoling M/C Boots

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
Didn't see anything here when I ran a search, tho advrider and some other forums popped some useful info.

Goal is resoling my Sidi OnRoads.

Am inclined to go here http://www.factoryresole.com/, but would prefer to find someone local.

Not sure I can get even a good local cobbler (if one exists in the first place) to find Sidi or, FTM, any good m/c-specific (i.e., grease/s;ip resistant) replacement sole.

Anyone here had good/bad experiences that would help in search?

FWIW, I have not found these Sidis to be the cat's meow that they had been sold as by other riders. Good enough, but a mild PITA to put on. Think I expected too much. OTOH, these boots, combined with black Hein-Gericke 3/4 Dakar jacket and leather pants, make me look a bit like a lost (old and overweight) Wehrmacht oberst. :laugh:

Thanks.

Bill

Ah, one of the reasons I'm still looking for a "real" pair of MC boots ... a walk-resistant sole that can be renewed.

Grease/slip resistance ... I've been told that's the reason those soles go so quickly. Yet Caterpillar and Timberland know how to make 'em. But honestly, slip resistance for me counts while walking, and the oil-resistance argument is a bit moot IMHO. Just how often are you wading in oil or gasoline? Just wipe'em on a bit of sand or grass after filling up... (I don't, and I have yet to see adverse effects on the Vibram soles under my 55

Mostly I use my MC boots for the purpose they were ment for, so renewing hasn't been a problem yet. :p

But my Daytonas (GTX? PDF? OBS? - whatever the model)really are comfortable even for walking, and I never noticed them to be slippery anywhere, including gas stations.

But I doubt the sole can be renewed. If that is a must, look for a pair of Kaiman boots.
They even offer the feature of being complete waterproof without any PTFE-based lining!

http://www.mot-technik.de/zubehoer/kaiman/kaiman.htm

RJVB wrote:
Ah, one of the reasons I'm still looking for a "real" pair of MC boots ... a walk-resistant sole that can be renewed.

Grease/slip resistance ... I've been told that's the reason those soles go so quickly. Yet Caterpillar and Timberland know how to make 'em. But honestly, slip resistance for me counts while walking, and the oil-resistance argument is a bit moot IMHO. Just how often are you wading in oil or gasoline? Just wipe'em on a bit of sand or grass after filling up... (I don't, and I have yet to see adverse effects on the Vibram soles under my 55

Sorry Bill, can't help with the SIDIS, it's a common complaint with SIDI here as well with the off road blokes.

Rene - Rossi Boots, made right here in Oz (amazingly!) can be re-soled, all you do is send them to the factory and they will completely re-furbish them for you.

ROSSI Boots Oztralia - Click Here

Bill,

Funny you should ask. Of course my experience is local to Beaverton Oregon, but I found a local cobbler who is also into motorcycling. I had my Sidis built up back when I rode a K75RT because I was having trouble reaching the ground (inseam challenged). He put nice soles on them and built the boots up a whopping inch! When I got the Norge and added the Breva low seat, I didn't need or want that much build up and took them back and he knocked them back down to a place where I could shift and still reach the ground.

Doubtful that you want to send them to Beaverton, but in case you do, here is the information:

Vanek's Beaverton Shoe Repair
(503) 643-1266
12460 SW Broadway St
Beaverton, OR 97005

Michael

Hey Bill,
I use Yellowbook.com on my crackberry to locate stuff while I'm out of town. It shows six shoe repair shops in Atlanta and others nearby. Once upon another career/life ago, I owned shoe stores and was amazed at how a skilled cobbler could salvage a pair of favorite boots :)
Many stores that sell work/industrial footwear (i.e. Redwing Stores) will be happy to recommend a reputable repair shop.

Good luck

RJVB wrote:
and the oil-resistance argument is a bit moot IMHO. Just how often are you wading in oil or gasoline? Just wipe'em on a bit of sand or grass after filling up... (I don't, and I have yet to see adverse effects on the Vibram soles.

It's not so much about wading in oil as it is slipping on oil while pulling up to the gas pump or dismounting. Something that could prove to be a wee bit embarrasing, I would think. :blush:

Any competent cobbler (as you point out, assuming you can find one) should be able to tell if if it's possible after a cursory look, & then do the job it it is. I've been renewing my 2 pairs of actual US Gov't issue military boots I've had since 1970, used strictly as riding boots since about 1976, with Vibram heels/soles. By no means waterproof, but plenty comfortable on & off the bike. The Vibrams are a lot more expensive than they used to be, but in any case a whole lot cheaper than any decent new shoes. Plus you can't really argue with the longevity of the shoes, can you, 39 years & still counting.

:) :) Rossi have a excellent reputation in my house. I bought a pair of shoes a while back and the stitching started to undo so I happened to be in Adelaide visiting family and called into the factory shop front, showed them the problem and they took them out the back restiched them and I was walking down the road in them ten minutes later. service doesn't come any better than that. :woohoo: :woohoo: I also have an older pair of their MX style boots that I used on the road for years and had resoled many times. Unfortunately I'm a suspicious bloke and I believe some of their newer M/Cycle boots are made outside of the country. :unsure: :unsure: Lets hope we can keep some boot production in the country.
PS Australia Post is supplied by Rossi, all the posties at my depot use their short urban style boots with the velcro over flap and reckon they're great!!!!!.

Cat City Rider wrote:
It's not so much about wading in oil as it is slipping on oil while pulling up to the gas pump or dismounting. Something that could prove to be a wee bit embarrasing, I would think. :blush:

Hmmm, I don't know how things are at your end, but here that's really rarely ever an issue. I roll up, flip down the jiffy for 'in case', and if I do have to dismount, I settle the bike on it first. I used to put her up on the centre-stand, but have decided that's way too much of a hassle (esp. since I'm not the only one here who's already had to replace the stand after bending the tang :S )
Sunday evening there must have been gasoline (diesel) spilled where I filled up. I only noticed that stopping a couple of meters ahead, to let Anne mount. A wipe in some sand and grass took care of that.

cobblers: here in Paris, they're typically of Thai or Vietnamese origin. That probably has nothing to do with the fact that they often appear to be knowledgeable, and then proceed to ask good money for repairs that make good shoes unwearable. One of the reasons I now buy most all of my shoes at Decathlon: lots of choice starting at about 55

AltBerg boots from Richmond, North Yorkshire can re-build their boots when parts wear out. I've never tried them, but I've heard good things about the boots.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/

I also believe that Daytona boots from Germany, in certain cases, can also be re-built. I like my Bandit XCR boots and have had a couple of years wear out of them already. I only use the Daytona Special Leather Care grease on them to keep the wet at bay. Recommended.

http://www.daytona.de/english/quality_e ... rvice.html

Nick

Rene, Gas stations on our side of the pond can at times be a wee bit untidy. what with anti freeze, gas, and oil spills and such.
One could put down a foot and have it slide right out from under you. Best to look down first. :eek:hmy:

Can happen here too, though often it'd be visible, if not only from a more or less fresh layer of sand. My solution is to put both feet down at first, and then put out the stand. Preferably with the pump on my right, that way my right foot can only slide so far before it hits the pump or whatever it is it's sitting on ;)

RJVB wrote:
the oil-resistance argument is a bit moot IMHO. Just how often are you wading in oil or gasoline? Just wipe 'em on a bit of sand or grass after filling up...

Out here in Nevada, the land of "Over 100 degrees"....anytime you stop in traffic, you are probably surrounded by oil and anti-freeze on the road. I tried your suggestion of running over to the side of the road to wipe my feet on the grass, but everyone honked at me.

Oil-resistant boots are a safe bet here.

Back