• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Reworked saddle

bigtex

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I got caught by the Bill Mayer Saddles guy at the national meet and ending up sending him my Stelvio saddle to be reworked - altered shape using fancy foam core and new cover. After a 700 mile day and some serious pain points, we talked about reshaping it to fit my rather substantial posterior and to eliminate the forward slide I was always fighting. He also reshaped and recovered the pillion seat, eliminating the hump which allows for more sliding around.

Just got it back and initial impressions are all positive. Much more level seating position, more support up front but not too wide. Quality of work is excellent. I went with the vinyl cover with a waffle texture on the top, supposed to be cooler.

Some big miles coming up in a few weeks, I'll report back.

seat001.jpg

seat002.jpg

seat003.jpg

http://billmayersaddles.com/BMS/Home.html

How much did he charge you to do the work?

I was thinking of sending my seat to Russell this winter, they have made me seats in the past and I have always been pleased with their work, they are pricey though.

It looks fantastic. Whenever I hope on a showroom Stelvio I don't specially like the original flat surface for the bum.

Price was $399 US plus another $30 to recover the pillion. Turn around including non-priority mailing was 2 weeks.

I just called them and I was informed that riding in and getting fitted is Ideal for them and the rider. They will take all your measurement and start working on the saddle. As they go along they will have you try it out to make sure it's to your liking and then they will complete the job the same day. You go in @ 8am and it's done by 1pm.
That is if you live in California!!!!!

Yes, a ride-in fitting would be pretty cool, but I didn't have any plans to be in California any time soon. Their rep at the MG owners' meet took a bunch of pictures of me on the bike and documented my concerns, weight, riding preferences, etc.

I would give you more of a ride report on the new saddle since I took it out at lunchtime yesterday for a small loop ride, but since the big beast broke down and had to be towed back to the dealer, I wasn't really thinking about the seat by the end of that ride. Grumble, grumble, ... :angry:

Sorry to hear that BT.....Temperamental Beasts......Hope you get it back soon to enjoy a nice comfortable ride...Looks great btw!!!and comfortable.....definitely report back.....V

Okay, bike is back on the road (see post about internal fuel lines) and I got to put a few miles on the new saddle.

Very nice is the first impression. It makes for a much flatter perch, which (for my frame) really helps my posture match the reach to the handlebars. No sliding forward which I think I was constantly fighting.

The foam is much denser, more rigid. I will have to put some big miles on it to gauge the difference there. The saddle guy recommends 1000 to 1500 miles for break in (with my weight, that would probably be 560 miles ;) ).

Also noticeable is more thigh support. It feels good so far but we'll have to see about long days and whether that becomes support or a pressure point.

I have to work this week, but the next 2 weeks are play days. Think I'll go see how she does at1 14,000 feet, see if I can get up the rocks to the saddle below Trinchera Peak, and other fun activities.

Back