• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

*Ride Report* Texas 2009.

rocker59

Cruisin' Guzzisti
NTNOA Lake O the Pines Rallye and GRIT Lindale Rally!!!

671501286_ZWe6J-M.jpg

The plan came together that Michael D and Gordon, of Tulsa, would meet me in Mansfield, Arkansas Saturday morning 3 October. From there we'd head South towards Lake of the Pines near Jefferson, Texas for an afternoon at the North Texas Norton Owners Association 25th Anniversary Rallye.

My day started early. I finished loading my Nero Corsa and departed Fayetteville for Mansfield about 0715. It's a pretty easy run. I-540 over the Boston Mountains, then US-71 South from Fort Smith. Map Link

671501076_5KvJZ-M.jpg

I arrived at our rendezvous point in Mansfield a little early at 0840 after travelling the 85-miles from my house. A 60mph average! Michael D on his EV and Gordon on his Norge arrived from Tulsa at 0915 and we topped off our tanks for a run down US-71 towards Texas!

Any US Highway on a Saturday is going to be busy and this day was no exception. Lots of traffic and a half dozen LEOs between Mansfield and our next stop, De Queen. Nice curvy road and a beautiful day, though, so I settled into a relatively subdued touring pace. Map Link

We arrived in De Queen about lunch time, so we topped off our tanks after travelling the hundred miles down US-71 and asked the attendant where a good local place to eat might be. "Easy", she said. "Ranch House. It's my favorite". Well, it's unusual to get such a quick and sure response from a convenience store clerk, so I figured it must be good.

671501687_AioH8-M.jpg

Any cafe/restaurant whose parking lot if filled with muddy pickup trucks at lunch must be good. It was, and our waitress Shirley was a hoot! Sorry no pics from inside, but this is the place to stop in De Queen if you're hungry. Good food. Local atmostphere. Friendly folks!!!

After a great lunch, we mounted back up and departed US-71 for a great little road , AR-41, that would take us to New Boston, Texas, and points South! Map Link

AR-41 South!
671501763_BdAwx-M.jpg

Michael D following me through the curves.
671501949_9pDsf-M.jpg

Michael D and his '98 EV.
671502118_abpWu-M.jpg

Michael D and Gordon close behind on AR-41.
671502217_f3Hnh-M.jpg

After another hundred miles we arrived in Jefferson, Texas. We topped off with fuel and then headed over to the NTNOA Lake O the Pines Rallye to take in a little British moto action...

Sam Wheeler's Norton streamliner was a feature bike this year.
671502479_ttpKj-M.jpg

One never knows what he'll stumble across at a motorcycle gathering. A replica "Then Came Bronson" Sportster.
671502581_jrVyj-M.jpg

Nortons by the lake.
671502663_SEqnF-M.jpg

A cool Trident tracker!
671502730_PEQiA-M.jpg

Commando!
671502805_G4otk-M.jpg

More Nortons.
671502960_a2tgi-M.jpg

Nice Ducati single.
671502893_HztfM-M.jpg

A little MV.
671503142_i8dcp-M.jpg

A beautiful Ariel Square Four.
671503642_ChPPr-M.jpg

Vincent!
671504191_ziGHK-M.jpg

671504135_dUiPe-M.jpg

Another Norton.
671503891_x8YSp-M.jpg

Vintage American Iron.
671503323_8iAZQ-M.jpg

671503460_cSgHV-M.jpg

An Enfield twin.
671504296_95Tbu-M.jpg

This MKIII was ridden down from Bentonville, Arkansas by the owner of Bentonville BMW.
671504611_NjsoH-M.jpg

The absolute coolest and craziest bike at the rally. It was ridden in from Colorado. The fairing is a cut-down Hannigan GT. The headlight is from a late-model Indian. The bike has inverted forks, triple disk brakes, single throat/dual injector efi (yes, electronic fuel injection). Unbelieveable what this guy has done.

671504447_3htzX-M.jpg

671504506_tM8MM-M.jpg

After a few hours of fun, we departed Lake O the Pines for Hawkins, which would be our campsite for the night.

Lake O the Pines.
671499282_ZeyBv-M.jpg

Skies were darkening. It didn't look good. Yep, rain was definitely on the way to Northeast Texas!!!

I about wore my riding buddies out with all the turns, but Farm Road 726 was a great little route from LOP to Gladewater. From Gladewater, it was US-80 to Hawkins and our campsite at Lake Hawkins. Map Link

FM-726.
671499364_hfpMX-M.jpg

671499482_gwSk9-M.jpg

Well, it rained on us the last few miles into Hawkins and it looked like it would be raining for awhile. We found the campsite on the lake that was set aside for us. Luck would have it that the rain slacked long enough for us to quickly set up camp. It's a good thing we did that, because just minutes after moving all my stuff from the bike to the tent, the monsoon (remnants from a tropical depression) set in and would not slack up for the rest of our stay in Texas!!!

There were a few hardy souls camping by the lake with us. Dan, Bill and his wife. I think that was it. Six of us nutty enough to sleep out in the rain... Dave and Nicole were hanging at the campsite visiting (and providing beer. Thanks Dave!) and after a bit, we all got together and walked across the road to a little dive honky tonk bar for beer and burgers. Convenient! Good food and cold beer on a dark and rainy night.... We all had a good time, then about the time that the house band tuned up, I decided to head back to the tent and get some shuteye. Most followed. A few stayed to listen to the band. They'll have to chime in about that...

Here I am in my tent listening to the rain coming down...
671499635_BCoKy-M.jpg

More to follow...

So, it rained all night Saturday Night... Yep... Gordon said it quit for half an hour but I didn't notice... We're talking inch an hour torrential tropical rain here. I guess I'm glad I didn't look at the weather closely before hitting the road. I might've had second thoughts... Well, my The North Face Rock 32 tent I'd purchased back in May did its thing and kept me dry all night!

At some point in the early AM, I heard some cursing over Michael D's way. Yep, he woke up with a few gallons of water in his tent. I had pitched my tent on high ground (relatively speaking), on the concrete RV pad at our campsite. After looking outside at the mudhole the campground had become, I was glad.

A quick look around my tent. Yep. Still dry after over 12 hours of constant rain!
671499715_wHZzr-M.jpg

About 0830 Gordon came over and said the rain was going to get worse so we'd better pack up now. I crawled out of my tent and looked over Michael D's way. Yep. It's been raining...
671500105_TVfVp-M.jpg

Michael D greeted me all cheery on this grey and rainy morning. Everything he had got wet overnight!
671499999_YzPgv-M.jpg

My camp, just before packing it up for the ride over to Lindale.
671499820_LR9qa-M.jpg

No pix of Gordon's setup, but he had one of those cool hammock tents and he said it worked great! Quick to pack up, too... He had to wait on Michael, and I, and got soaked in the process!

From Hawkins, it was a short, but very wet ride over to Faulkner Park outside Lindale for the annual Guzzi Riders in Texas rally. US-80 to Mineola, then US-69 toward Lindale. I sure wish I'd known about the Old Dallas-Shreveport Road. Nothing like a "wild goose chase" in the pouring-down rain. My riding buddies are lucky! Map Link

We missed the entrance to the park and had to make a U-turn on US-69. In the process, we lost Bill and his wife. Later they showed up after Dan called with directions. They were smart and went for coffee!

Nine bikes made it to the GRIT rally this year. The weather was that bad...
671500192_qY5nG-M.jpg

Georgeanne, the Texas MGNOC Rep had a great location setup for us! Nice and dry!
671500262_AMBqj-M.jpg

Mike Bui of Houston, Michael D of Tulsa, Todd Haven of MPH Cycles-Houston.
671500358_rhNDM-M.jpg

Ace Mallot and J.N. Smith. Ace won long distance rider award, coming down from St. Joe, Missouri to the Lake O the Pines rally and the GRIT Texas rally! J.N., as usual, won the oldest rider award! He ain't skeered of a little rain!
671500427_5zrQi-M.jpg

Lots of coffee, bread, pastry, etc. for the few hardy souls in attendance!
671500564_uoZxX-M.jpg

Highlight of the day was the really great spaghetti lunch! This is what I rode 350 miles for!
671500817_83XYB-M.jpg

Mike Bui and I digging in!
671500725_EtLuq-M.jpg

Good times! Well, that's all the pictures I have. It was raining so hard all day that I didn't want to risk damaging my camera. Georgeanne really put out a lot of effort for the event. Too bad the tropical rain storm kept everyone away! I ended up winning the dirtiest bike award and taking away the 50/50 prize! I also picked up a GRIT T-shirt and GRIT bandana that were for sale in the pavillion.

Michael D, Gordon, and I suited up and headed back North towards home about 2pm. North on TX-37, we rode together through some heavy rain from Lindale to a fuel stop in Mt. Vernon. From Mt. Vernon, we rode through Paris and on to Hugo, Oklahoma where we parted ways. For Michael D and Gordon, it was The Indian Nations Turnpike to Tulsa. For me, US-271 to Fort Smith. Map Link

I had never ridden the whole of US-271 between Hugo, Oklahoma and Fort Smith, Arkansas, so I thought "why not today?". I could've saved some time and miles by running TX-37 and US-259, but I've BTDT! US-271 is a great little highway in Southeastern Oklahoma. It's lightly travelled. No truck traffic because many bridges are only rated for 20-tons. That's the only downer. Several of the bridges are under construction, so the work zones did slow me down a bit. The rain slacked off after my fuel stop in Clayton, Oklahoma then it got a little cooler. Damp and cloudy with temps in the 50s. Not too bad, but 330 miles of it and the rain had me glad to arrive home! Map Link

Six hours and a little more than 300 miles had me back home in The Hills...

Great weekend despite the rain! A bad day on a motorcycle beats a good day most anywhere else, no? It was a great 700 mile weekend! ;-T

Michael D just sent me the link for his photos: Michael D's Photo Link

Some highlights:

Gordon and I at the meetup in Mansfield, Arkansas.
IMG_1542.jpg

US-71 South. Me out front on the Nero Corsa.
IMG_1547.jpg

Gordon and I at The Ranch House.
IMG_1551.jpg

Where to next?
IMG_1552.jpg

Beautiful day for a ride!
IMG_1553.jpg

Gordon and his Norge.
IMG_1557.jpg

Looking at the world through a windshield. US-59 in Texas. Micheal D's V11EV tuens 40 (thousand).
IMG_1559.jpg

NTNOA check-in tent and raffle bike!
IMG_1563.jpg

Squariel.
IMG_1583.jpg

X-75.
IMG_1589.jpg

Ace's Cali.
IMG_1590.jpg

The Norton Commando custom tourer.
IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

Gordon, Me, Mike Bui at the GRIT rally in Lindale.
IMG_1617.jpg

Me and the Nero Corsa loaded up and headed for home.
IMG_1619.jpg

Gordon and his Norge homeward bound.
IMG_1620.jpg

Where to next? (Oh yeah, Talimena State Park next week!)
IMG_1621.jpg

Thanks for the pics Michael D!!! Enjoyed the trip!!! See you next week in Oklahoma.

Anyone else have any pics? Post 'em if you got 'em!

Yes, very nice report and pictures !

So, how do you post that many pictures at one time? Who knows, I might get to go on a ride real soon ;)

Great stuff.

As an unabashed map geek, I especially liked those links to routes.

The rain reminded me of the Georgia rain rally two weekends ago. Blech. But, who remembers Guzzi gatherings without what our mounts have, "character?" :whistle:

Bill

rocker59 said:
Yeah Bill,

And the cool thing about the google maps is the ability to street view the roads!

Here's the whole weekend's route in one map: Full Route Map

Yup.

What I especially like about Google mapping is the "terrain" view feature. I will go there before a trip to unknown territory (and even some known territory!) to see how to run roads to use the topography best.

Bill

Back