• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Ride through New South Wales and Queensland [a trip report]

Daniel Kalal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
map.jpg

Back in 2007, I borrowed Pete Roper's yellow Moto Guzzi Griso, and rode south from Bungendore, across to Tasmania and then through Victoria, and back. That was a very good trip, and I really enjoyed riding through Australia. Earlier this year, I rode a Guzzi Stelvio from Italy to Norway. Generally, I just do one decent sized trip each year, filling out the year with dozens of two and three-day trips. But, this year, I had more available time than usual. Would it be too much to borrow Pete's bike, again?

Sydney. I had a few hours. I was impressed by the rail system. Easy to use, and frequent enough to make it convenient.
photo010.JPG
photo013.JPG

A naked man avoiding a bull with a rather sharp horn and a turtle spitting water with great force. I'm sure there's an interesting story.
photo015.JPG
photo016.JPG

Pete picked me up at the Canberra airport (which is vastly smaller and easier to get through than Sydney).
Bungendore.
photo027.JPG
photo059.JPG

Pete installed the muffler that I had brought with me (luckily the damage caused by TSA could be corrected or was hidden from view). The exhaust sounded terrific. Not loud by any standard, but very nice sounding.
photo037.JPG

Parliament Building in Canberra
photo039.JPG
photo052.JPG

Time to ride.
photo055.JPG

photo065.JPG

photo066.JPG

Abercrombie River.
photo069.JPG

As towns were not frequent, I generally filled up whenever I had the chance. I'd go as far as 190 kilometers, and sometimes get fuel after as little as 80 kilometers if I wasn't sure about what was available further down the road. Whenever it was available, I'd use the highest octane fuel. At the smaller petrol station, you had no choice, but the Griso is happier with the higher number.
photo064.JPG
photo071.JPG

That yellow duffle bag is all I used. I packed virtually the same as I did for my earlier European ride, including the jacket and a Polartech pull-over sweater for use as a liner for my riding suit. I didn't use either of those. In addition, I carried a pair of walking shoes, a single change of clothes and a small toiletries bag. Pete gave me a tire-repair kit as well (never used). I would be washing clothes every evening. In later photographs, you'll see a red onion bag tied to the top of the duffle bag. I used that to carry a couple of water bottles.
photo075.JPG

Sofala is a preserved old mining town that is just a bit off the highway.
photo076.JPG
photo078.JPG

The temperature is well over 100 degrees, so sitting in the shade seemed a good idea.
photo079.JPG
photo080.JPG

photo083.JPG

I'm sure many people would consider this to be just desolate land to get though, but I really like it. There are similar areas in the U.S., but there is nothing to compare with the huge expanse of such open land as I rode through. I was not riding well-traveled roads. A break-down would be annoying.The Griso ran perfectly the whole trip.
photo089.JPG

I would snug down the bag in the morning, and at the next fuel stop, I'd re-snug them. Nothing moved after that.
photo094.JPG
photo085.JPG

A person could ride very fast on these roads if they had a mind to. I generally cruised at 120 kph in 4th gear. The Griso has a six-speed transmission, but I don't think I ever had it in 5th, and certainly I never used 6th. At steady speeds, it was happy at something over 5,000 rpm, so that's where I kept it. Of course, you could run slower rpms, but everything was so very smooth up there, and Guzzis are generally happiest at higher rpms. If you need to pass, just twist the throttle and hold on. This was the hardest pulling Guzzi I have every ridden.
photo096.JPG

Mullaley.
I expected to be staying in pubs during the trip, but didn't think I would be doing so that first night out. The price is low and the room is perfectly clean and comfortable. The showers are down the hall. It's a bit of a nuisance not to have any electrical outlets in the room, but that's hardly anything to be bothered with. There's no air conditioning, but that's why the windows are open.
photo100.JPG
photo099.JPG

I always prefer to get down the road for an hour before stopping for breakfast. At this point, I'm looking to see what roads I might want to take.
photo108.JPG

Gunnedah.
photo111.JPG

Generally, the water windmills I saw were larger diameter than the typical wind turbine you might see in Kansas or Texas. I suspect that that peak wind speed is much lower here.
photo113.JPG
photo114.JPG

Nice. Nice. Nice. This wouldn't be the last time this trip, nor even this day that I would use a community pool. I didn't have a towel to dry with, but that's not important. Starting out wet on the motorcycle is not a bad thing.
photo125.JPG
photo126.JPG

Such flood-plain crossings were common. None of them was ever covered with water.
photo132.JPG

Texas. Why is this town called Texas? I do not know.
photo135.JPG
photo136.JPG

Another pool! This day was particularly hot, and I was trying to avoid the afternoon peak heat. We were joined in the pool by a dog, who was quickly carried out.
photo134.JPG
photo138.JPG

Tilling and cutting looks pretty much like what you'll see in the central states.
photo145.JPG

I'm well off any sort of primary highway. Notice the paving--it's only wide enough for a single car. If two cars approach, they'll both move over to drag their outside tires in the dirt. I don't think I ever came across a car on this stretch, but if I had, I would have stayed on the pavement.
photo151.JPG

photo178.JPG

photo193.JPG

Middlemount is a company town for a nearby coal mine. There were very few people, and hardly any men when I was walking around. But, it did have the highest quality swimming pool of the trip. The green Griso had been painted in Holden green. Here's an example.
photo197.JPG
photo195.JPG

Sugarcane fields. At Nebo, I was heading towards the coast. I could have continued north, but the roads were hot obliging me, and fuel might have been a problem if I stayed inland. So, I decided to turn east, and then run down the coast.
photo209.JPG

The evening routine. Check in to the hotel, toss yesterday's clothes in the sink, add hot water, put on walking shoes and go out for the evening. On returning, squish the clothes a bit, and hang to dry. They will be dry the next morning for wearing, and the clothes a wore this day are put in a bag (happens to be my helmet bag) for the next evening washing.
photo220.JPG
photo221.JPG
photo222.JPG

Seventeen-Seventy is the name of the small town that Captain Cook and Joseph Banks landed (the second landing on the continent after Botany Bay). You can probably guess the year this happened.
photo247.JPG
photo249.JPG

photo250.JPG

photo258.JPG

Noosa Head. A lovely place, but a bit of a disappointment. The traffic was horrendous getting here (tourists of all stripes), and I never had a comfortable feeling about leaving the bike (and my bag) in the parking lot. So I didn't stay. This was the only time during the trip that I had any concern for the security of the motorcycle and my things.
photo280.JPG

Kondalilla National Park. I didn't know what to expect. I saw the sign, and decided to go.
photo287.JPG

photo299.JPG
photo298.JPG

Glass House Mountains. These are the remnants of old volcanic plugs.
photo310.JPG

photo307.JPG
photo308.JPG

Rod was following my trip (using the Spot tracking) and rode to Woodford early in the morning to catch me before I set out. We had a cup of coffee, and Rod was able to fill me in on several of the good roads in the direction I was heading. In particular, the "Lions Road" isn't one that I would have found on my own. Thanks, Rod!
photo315.JPG
photo317.JPG

photo325.JPG

Beaudesert. Another meat pie...
photo335.JPG
photo336.JPG

...and, another swim!
photo338.JPG
photo339.JPG

Lions Road.
What a wonderful road this is! I cannot imagine pushing the limits of a motorcycle through this as the road was generally only a single lane wide.
photo340.JPG

photo342.JPG

photo349.JPG

photo351.JPG
photo354.JPG

photo356.JPG

You're not really there unless you get your feet wet.
photo363.JPG
photo360.JPG

Another glorious motorcycle road. Except that I didn't see any motorcycles.
photo376.JPG

Dorrigo National Park. The park is just south of the town of Dorrigo.
photo403.JPG
photo402.JPG

photo406.JPG

photo415.JPG

Kiama. This would be my last night, and it turned out to be quite a nice little town.
photo434.JPG
photo435.JPG

This dog had a duty to keep all birds off the cricket pitch. He was doing a fine job.
photo442.JPG
photo444.JPG

Berry.
photo453.JPG

You know? This might have been the best breakfast of the trip. By the way, that tall frothy drink is what you'll get if you order orange juice.
photo454.JPG
photo455.JPG

Bendalong. I took the road that wound down to the ocean beach. you have to love these long, empty stretches of the most gorgeous sandy beaches you'd ever want to see.
photo474.JPG

photo476.JPG

The road back to Bungendore is a very good one.
photo484.JPG

photo486.JPG

Sydney Airport. It's almost funny. Sydney, like lots of airports, forces you to find your way through and endless duty free store when you're trying to find your gate.
photo496.JPG

What a great trip. I do like riding in Australia. The people were in every case terrific, the roads are all you could want, and the scenery is like nothing else. All this on one of the best Moto Guzzis ever made. Thanks especially to Jude, Pete and Connor. Guzzi people are the best.

Wow thanks Daniel, The Minister and I checked your progress via the SPOT track page every evening and now reading this It is so interesting to see our back yard through a visitor's eyes - thank you.

The fountain in Sydney's Hyde Park is The Archibald Fountain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Fountain

You Mericans can claim the naming of Texas (sort off): The McDougall Brothers originally settled on the land where Texas Station is now situated about 1840. The property was abandoned in the 1850’s while the brothers tried their luck on the goldfields. When they returned they found their land had been taken by another settler and it was some time before they were able to establish their prior claim. In 1836 Texas U.S was at war with Mexico, fighting for their independence, so the McDougalls called their property Texas as their dispute was similar

Thanks again Daniel, for taking me on another amazing trip to a land where in my old age will probably never get to and will never have the chance to meet Pete face to face :eek: :lol:

Back