• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Right hand head this time

Ray1150

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
So lately it's always been the right hand exhaust tappets that have needed adjusting.
We've just got back from holiday the service is due and there's a .7mm gap on the right hand exhaust tappets.
The adjusters are a lot more in already than any of the other tappets.
What's gone wrong, soft valve seats, soft cam? Is this a classic sign of something?
Well of out warrantee so looks like I'll be spending some time in the garage.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Yes, it sounds like its done its tappets. Put the piston at TDC compression and check the tops of the tappets where they come through the cambox. They should stand about 1-1.5 mm proud of the cambox.

Pete

Thanks Pete, just been to check and the tappet bowl for the rght exhst is nearer 1.5 below the cam box on tdc compression.
What a relief! I thought the head needed replacing.
many thanks
Ray

mrcanns said:
Sorry to hear about your cam trouble Ray why not up change to the latest roller design?

Hi Paul, glad to hear yours is now behaving itself. Thank Christ it's just a tappet bowl (£50) not the cams or a soft head.
The tax is up for renewal in October so I'll SORN it strip out the cam box check for swarf as per Pete's posting replace the tappet as well as any other prematurely worn parts and do one or two other jobs on my list (change fork oil, grease steering head bearings, change front pads & discs) as well as the service that's due.
I'd love a new one but I can't justify it just yet!

I was talking about changing the valve gear to rollers as per the lastest bikes mine started off with flat tappets and was changed to rollers when they failed, as Pete said you will need a camshaft and i beleive the complete valve gear assemblies are avaliable from MG at not to bad a price, sorry don't know the actual price, The other side will fail (its a uk thing?) I,ve had mine apart to check and they still look like new after about 7k, the originals failed at 8k after pretty much the same usage cycle so I'm hopeful that this great motor will be as long lived and reliable as the guys that sold it to me said it would.

Sodomy, didn't appreciate that as I haven't taken it apart yet.
Thanks Paul I see a pair of (as is) tappets and a new cam comes in about about £200.
I'll look at the roller cam solution, that would make sense and it would still be cheaper than £5k on top of mine for a new 2013.

Is it possible to upgrade the old inner parts by roller tappets without buying new heads?

Moto Guzzi Italy told Agostini Mandello that it´s not possible to do the upgrade without changing the heads. This would be around €4000,-- for both sides...

Don't believe it needs new heads but it will require everything north of the castings apart from the valves and springs etc. themselves. Cams, camboxes, rockers, etc, etc. the whole banana. I did the sums here. I'll wait till mine fail,probably slightly after hell freezes over.

Pete

I BELIEVE it, too, but I´d like to know. Sounds like one here in this thread did it without changing the heads.

My hell is frozen...37000km and both sides damaged including the carriers, rocker arms etc.

Well a certain well respected dealer is trying to get me a set of roller tappets under warrantee using the not unreasonable argument that if replaced like for like they'll just fail again.
Fingers crossed, I promised not to hassle them as they could have washed their hands of me so I'll post again on this as and when.

I saw all the parts that came off my bike the old flat tappets and all the new parts (roller) that went on this was as Pete said everything from the head up except the springs, caps and collets. The cam chain is removed head nuts undone and cam carrier complete with everything require to open the valves installed. The new system has several changes not just rollers but also better oil supply and better oil bucket in which the cams run it looks a well thought out solution I often see cars with over 180k miles on running roller tappets, my only reservation with the guzzi system is the mass of the rocker lever s, its relative high weight and therefore inertia could put more load on the cam/tappet even at modest guzzi engine speeds. Go for it Ray.

@mrcanns: So I read correct that you can confirm that it´s not necessary to change the heads themselves but everything north of them? I ask again because Guzzi keeps telling that it is positively necessary to change the heads also (that would be an extra amount of €1900,-- on top on the €2000,-- for the camshaft carriers, rocker arms, roller tappets, head covers,...and needs special equipment for measuring the head gasket).

And, as an extra, the camshaft carriers for the flat tappets are in backorder now for more than 3 months and no change of this in sight...the roller tappet parts should be available.

my ntx 8v, 2011 euro a8 engine, went into the dealer with failed lh. exhaust tappet (flat type) came out with roller tappets on the original heads. I did ask about the head gaskets having been loosened off would they be replaced and was told that there was no need (which appears to be the case, though I'm not sure this is best practice). is there more than one thickness head gasket? as normally the piston pretrusion would be adjusted at the base gasket, dead easy to do and not needed when just replacing the head unless guzzi use a very strange set up??

Thanks for this confirmation (I was nearly sure that there is no need to change the heads).

So I feel like Guzzi tries to get the last Euro out of our purse instead of giving satisfaction back to their customers spending a little fortune for their crap.

Yes, I am from Munich - Germany and no, I don´t have a tappet failure...I´ve a failure of 4 tappets, 2 cams, 2 camboxes and 4 rocker arm cams and that´s why I need everything north of the valve springs. In the meantime Guzzi changed the spark plug sealing so the new flat tappet camshaft carriers don´t fit together with the cylinder hoods and these are another €270,--.

Pictures: http://www.razyboard.com/system/morethr ... 16-30.html

I love Guzzi. REALLY! I´d like to teach them swimming the Italian way...with concrete shoes. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Back