• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Roamer & Bobber spring rate.

Nobody will know this. The information does not exist. I'm sure it is a progressive winding anyway.

What are you really trying to do because even if you had this information, it wouldn’t be much use to you for anything I can think of.

PS: Chillicothe isn’t the armpit of Ohio. Findlay is! 😆😆😆

Last edited:
I’m sure SOMEBODY knows. Its just a matter of finding them. It is NOT a progressive spring. With a progressive the windings are close together at one end and farther apart at the other, as I’m sure you know. The stock spring is equidistant wound.
The fork is a bit stiff on normal road surfaces (small irregularities) and I contemplated a slightly lighter spring. A spring calculator says I need a .90kg/mm spring. If that is close to what I already have then I accomplish nothing changing it and it’s just a characteristic of the fork and I need to take another direction. I’ve gone higher and lower on the fork viscosity. So, there are good reasons to know where you are starting from when experimenting on the cheap.
PS. I’ve been to Findlay. My opinion still stands.

I’ve been riding Moto Guzzi motorcycles all my life.

I promise you that other than the design engineer who designed that component, nobody knows that information. I’ve never seen that value for any model ever.

The very best source of suspension enhancements, is Todd (GTM). He can get your suspension to exactly where you want it to perform.

Have you looked at his offerings for your model in the STORE?

I don’t know what “on the cheap” really means here because it is not like you have a ton of options from Forksprings-R-Us 😆

Better to spend a little coin and get precisely what you are looking for - In my opinion.

Especially when you can have a made to your custom physical specifications, drop-in , no modifications necessary, Matris front end for a paltry $279 !

There are 3 STELLAR Reviews there as well. 😀👍

Last edited:
In Guzzi workshop manuals on thisoldtractor you can clearly see that they give graphs with the spring rates. For example fig 31A in the Cali 1000-1000i just as an example.
Also if you go on the Racetech site they state the stock spring rate for the 2012 V7 which I just randomly choose.
For the model the original poster asked about Racetech just states to call them.

Scott, you might want to tone down your over the top statements. In Guzzi workshop manuals on thisoldtractor you can clearly see that they give graphs with the spring rates. For example fig 31A in the Cali 1000-1000i just as an example.
Also if you go on the Racetech site they state the stock spring rate for the 2012 V7 which I just randomly choose.
For the model the original poster asked about Racetech just states to call them.

"Scott, you might want to tone down your over the top statements"

What statements are you referring to jr1967?

Ok. I stand behind what I told the gentleman.

I've never seen a published value of ".90kg/mm" or anything like that before in any Moto Guzzi technical literature.

If you are so knowledgable and know where it is, just help the gentleman and that's great.

However, I suspect that you just want to bitch slap me for some bizarre reason, so if that is your goal, albeit a strange one, knock yourself out. :think:

I looked at your manual for an ancient California, and that is not a spring rate, those are dimensional notations and included angles. The graph is just a linear graph which is expected but I'm not sure how much use that information is to the OP. Did I miss something there? It's possible.

Yes, the Racetech website lists a value, in one location, then further down the same page, it's left blank. Go figure. I don’t know. I've never used them before.

So, if their (Racetech) information is accurate, then that's great. It gives a value to the OP that he can use. I still believe that it's not something that is published in any of the Moto Guzzi factory manuals for the model the gentleman was asking. I could be wrong however I couldn't find it when I went searching for him. Again, if you know where it is specifically, tell him.

Likewise, you telling him to call Racetech is no different than me telling him to email Todd. Todd is an expert at this and knows all about this stuff and sells the components to get the gentleman to where he wants to go. $279 for custom engineered components and access to Todd's intelligence and assistance, is not outrageous at all. That's why I suggested this. You disagree with that too?

So, apologies you got your panties in a wad. I told the gentleman the truth as far as I know it to be.

If you have something useful to add, please do so. Thats great. I thank you and commend you for helping.

If I made a mistake, which I don't see at the moment, then I made a mistake, and I'll cheerfully apologize and life goes on. No big deal. Mountains out of mole hills...

What is your axe you want to grind here anyway?

I have made many mistakes in my life. So what. I make corrections and go on with life. If your goal is to slam on me becuase you don't like something I wrote or how I wrote it, I couldn't care less. Get over it. If you have something to add or correct, get on with it. Personally, if you spent as much time and effort trying to help the OP, as you have spent here trying to take pot shots at me, then something good might come from it...

Do you feel better now? WTH...

Screen Shot 2022 09 22 at 22745 PM

Screen Shot 2022 09 22 at 22942 PM

Last edited:
So, if their (Racetech) information is accurate, then that's great. It gives a vale to the OP that he can use. I still believe that it's not something that is published in any of the Moto Guzzi factory manuals for the model the gentleman was asking. I could be wrong however I couldn't find it when I went searching for him. Again, if you know where it is specifically, tell him.

Likewise, you telling him to call Racetech is no different than me telling him to email Todd. Todd is an expert at this and knows all about this stuff and sells the components to get the gentleman to where he wants to go. $279 for custom engineered components and access to Todd's intelligence and assistance, is not outrageous at all. That's why I suggested this.
Thanks Scott. I tried to intercept the comment (and clearly failed). ;)

I've taken many Guzzis to RT in Corona to get them to "spec" the parts for upgrades. They use a spring dyno for #'s in addition to measurements.

You are correct in that you cannot find newer Guzzi spring info anywhere. For awhile I knew *the* Marzocchi fork guy that was in charge of OEM Guzzi specs. He has long since left of course.

Once I got Matris to build to my spec, I've aimed away from RT as they are very labor intensive to install full kit, and their springs are never stock length requiring PVC spacers to be cut to fit. Some don't mind that, but the Matris kit really is a no-brainer. Plug-n-play.

The OP may be a drive-by. Often I see folks show here and post the same question all over the web (Google Alerts often sends me the links), and I laugh at the responses I see.

Here is what I’ve roughly measured for what it’s worth. Holding the spring upright in a tube and putting a 10 lb dumbbell on top causes the spring to deflect a hair over 5.5 mm. So that’s 1.818182 lbs per mm. 1.82 lbs rounded up equals 0.83 kg rounded up. My V9 spring is approx 0.83kg/mm +/- a tad for my hillbilly science methods. Thanks for the Matris suggestions. :)

Back