• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rocker arm adjuster issue on my 1975 850 T.

pizza for you

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Looking at the adjusters on my 850 T there are threads missing. Does not seem like the threads are stripped as the damage is just in the area in the picture and not the entire circumference of the adjuster. The threads in the rocker arms are fine and the adjusters will screw in with no problems. The fourth adjuster shows no sign of damage what so ever. Is this common with this style of adjuster and not the later ones ?
Rocker arm adjusters

Last edited:
That is unusual. It looks like there are enough threads for them to function as they should. If you want to replace them because they bother you that is sufficient reason. As long as they screw into the rocker, and can be locked in place with the lock nut you should be OK.

I would like to reuse them but wonder what caused this sort of damage. The adjusters stay tight and never seem to come lose. Wasn't till I disassembled the engine that I noticed the damaged threads. I wonder if over tightening the lock nut would cause this ?

I wonder if the threads were damaged by overtightening the lock nuts by a previous owner/mechanic who then ground the damaged areas away to be able to keep using the adjusters. I would be a little concerned that the remaining threads could be overstressed if the locknuts are overtightened.

Are these the original adjusters? It looks a bit like embrittlement during heat treatment as breaks in thread look clean.
I have seen a Breva 1200 adjuster with locknut snap off like a carrot while being riden. Probadly damaged from over tightning lock nut at some stage.

I do not know if these are original adjusters, I bought the bike used back in early 90's. When I dissembled the engine I could see evidence that the engine been apart before this. When I would adjust the valves I was always mindful not to over tighten the lock nuts. With the rocker arm assembled you can't see much of the threads, did not see the damaged threads until I disassembled the engine.

Did not find much in the way of small metal particles in the screen. I was intent on rebuilding the engine and was not too concerned with what was in the bottom of the sump.

Back