• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Roller conversion rough idle/lean

Dark20011

Just got it firing!
Hi guys, I bought a 2009 stelvio in december and rode it home, so im new to the whole moto guzzi scene.

I did the roller conversion to get it out of the way for some longer trips this summer. I cranked and started the bike to check i was in time and everything was good before putting all the body work back together on the bike. The bike starts up fine and runs. Once it settles into its idle from start up, it starts to lope and approximately every 15 combustion cycles or so there are a few pops out the exhaust which seem to me like im running lean and getting combustion in the exhaust. The exhaust also gets hot to the point that im noting some smoke coming from exhaust gaskets. I didnt let it get all the way up to temp for fear of burning a valve or damaging gaskets.

I did the standard starting fluid check of all my intake connections and the intake side is tight. Pulled the plugs and popped the cam covers. With the cylinder at TDC on compression the cam buttons are pointing right at the boss on the head and they are in their correct holes L and R respectively. Spark plugs and boots are good. Both exhaust pipes are getting hot equally as checked with my infrared thermometer so im hesitant to think its a single cylinder problem.

I did some research and found that there is an updated map for the 8v once its rollerized but i wasnt sure if the wrong map would cause symptoms this severe. I also searched for and was unable to find anyway for me to source the updated map to flash the ecm using guzzidiag. Id take it to the dealer but the closest one is approximately 4 hours away.

At this point the only thing i can think to do is use guzzi diag to richen the idle mixture, balance the throttle bodies and reset the tps.

The bike also has a power commander, gpr exhaust without the decibel killer and the charcoal canister was deleted. All before i purchased the bike. I set the power commanders fuel tables to all zeros to eliminate it as a problem with no change.

Im sorry for the very longwinded post and i appreciate any and all help you guys can give me. Have a good one

Take it to the dealer to get the map. The software you are using won't do what you need. Trailer the bike might be best. Another option would be to sent just the ECU to Todd for an improved map. See the store tap for information and to contact Todd.

Thanks John. @Dark20011 - yes, the map is completely different for the roller cams, as they are a massively different profile. Diag isn’t supported here on this site, as I offer the services. Write me direct email for more info; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Back