• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Round slide carbs on a 1983 SP 1000

profwacko

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
Can anyone tell me what these are, or maybe should be?

A buddy of mine recently acquired this bike and I am helping him with getting it running right.

Printed versions of the factory service manual and parts book for the bike came with it, but it shows square slide carbs like the ones on my Convert (sorry, my wife's Convert).

Before I take these apart to clean them out, I would like to have the exploded views available just in case.

I found Greg Bender's listing at http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/ ... agrams.htm, but I don't know which PHB carbs these are.

Any help from The Collective would be appreciated.

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack (in South Austin)

From about 82 up they came with round slides with accelerator pumps. I think the 83 SP used 30 mm like the California. Unfortunately they use that el cheapo plastic splitter that makes getting and maintaining a synchronization just about impossible. For just a clean up, it is nearly the same as the square slide, but a little easier as the pumper assembly isn't above the main jet, but located in the side body. I'd leave the pumper assembly alone as these rarely give any problems.

If you have the time and patience, I'd try to find a Tomaselli 2C throttle and run custom cables to the carbs. The bike will run much better that way.

MG Cycle sells both the throttle and the cables you will need if you want to switch.

DW

guzziownr said:
MG Cycle sells both the throttle and the cables you will need if you want to switch.

DW

Good to know. The last time a did a conversion for someone (a Mille GT) an off the shelf conversion wasn't available.

PHB? Are you sure? Could the F be mucked up so that it looks like a B? All I've ever seen is a PHFs on this era guzzi. Greg has the PHF diagram.

No plastic splitter on my SP and don't recall seeing one in the parts book.

Be careful with the rubber manifolds they have been discontinued and I haven't seen reproductions yet.

Rafael said:
Be careful with the rubber manifolds they have been discontinued and I haven't seen reproductions yet.

Is there any alternative to the rubber manifolds?

I am hoping the ones I have are going to be ok.

BTW, the SP in my garage is the same red/white color scheme as your avatar pic. Very very cool.

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack (in South Austin)

Rafael said:
PHB?

I was thinking the 83 was the SP III, not the SP II, my mistake on the splitter. The one I was thinking of is on the SP III.

profwacko said:
Is there any alternative to the rubber manifolds?

Yeah, Check out MG Cycle. I had spares so I haven't had to go to the alternate. But the LeMans1/2/3 rubber manifolds are still available but would have to find the aluminum manifold part, adapt the stud to 6M from 8M and deal with the interference with the sidecovers.

Ramble:
The SP doesn't have a following like other guzzis, but I think it's one of their best. I quit clip on bikes in '93 but then found I didn't like any other guzzis as much as the SP-NT 'till I took a second look at the B11. Cagers sometimes think I'm a cop when they see me in their rearview mirror even though it's R/W. The design says Authority, especially with the G-5 clam shell bags.

Hopefully MG figures out that the Bellagio base can be used to create two new models. 1) an Updated SP I and a Cafe Sport just a bit heftier than the V7C.

More Rambling:
Yamaha recently did US market research and designed a new the new Star Bolt to meet that sector. Funny thing is that Bellagio meets the exact same criteria and has been in production for 7 years but hasn't been imported to the US.

john zibell said:
Rafael said:
PHB?

I was thinking the 83 was the SP III, not the SP II, my mistake on the splitter. The one I was thinking of is on the SP III.

The '83 is called the SP "NT", the SP II wasn't until '87 in the US IIRC.

Back