• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Route 66

ec_56

Just got it firing!
Hi guys, I and a few others are planning to do Route66 east west next July. I will be riding HD most likely as these apparently are the bykes more easily rented (and serviced) in US.
Comments or advice?

Thanks

Ennio
(20Kms from Mandello)

Welcome Ennio!

July will be quite warm with the threat of storms and rain through the middle of the country. If you don't mind either, sounds like a good trip. Yes, HD's will likely be your best bet unfortunately, especially if you will not be returning them to where you picked them up.

Please keep us posted to your travels. It would be great to meet you when you get to California.

How's the feeling in Mandello with Piaggio Guzzi these days? We hear all of the terrible rumors.

ec_56 wrote:
Comments or advice?

Riding Route-66 is more of a ride for the imagination than of great motorcycle roads and spectacular scenery (although there is some of both). If you want to see what 1930's America was like (or 50's if the Route-66 of your imagination comes from the song, or the early 60's if you're thinking of the old TV show, or late 60's if it's Peter Fonda and Captain America) you won't see it unless you look for it.

You will find what you're looking for, but it may not be exactly on Route-66. In fact, it's almost guaranteed that you'll be disappointed if you are too fanatical about following the exact route. Set up a width of 50 miles on either side and explore the less traveled roads that are still there, and the little towns that the main highway has long bypassed. That's where you'll find the America that you're thinking of. It hasn't changed very much.

Illinois has done a nice job of marking the various routes that the highway has taken over the years. It changed quite often as roads were improved and curves were straightened. A good idea is to search out the older bridges when you come to the rivers. Remarkably, those bridges are still there--often single lane, with crumbling pavement, but still in use.

In Arizona, the loop up to Peach Springs is still much as it was (which is to say, a long way from the freeway that replaced it). And continuing west from there, be sure to take the loop up to Oatman, before crossing the Colorado River. That stretch, too is not much changed.

Some sections in the California desert are far more deserted now than they were in the 1930's. Amboy just isn't the active place it once was--but, it's worth the long and lonely ride to get there.

When you're crossing New Mexico, you might consider dropping just a bit south to pick up the route of the old National Highway. This route pre-dates Route-66, and it still retains the feel of how the old highways used to be.

There are lots of guide books out there that will help. But, I'd try to pick up as many vintage highway state maps as you can find. You want the ones prior to the Interstate highway system.

Stay relaxed, and look for the small details. You'll have a great trip.

Ennio welcome to America!

That sounds like a ride of a lifetme! I did Chicago to L.A. (and beyond) via Route 66 in 1974 and I still remember it. 1974 Guzzi Eldorado LAPD. Some was awefull... Much of it was great!

That road (and its modern alternate) will expose you to some real Americana.

All the best of luck. Take a credit card and a pleasant outlook and you'll have stories to tell for dozens of years. If there is something you see that perks your interest go for it. Take your time. Check things out.

The desert gets HOT. Try it at night.

Thinking about what you are headed towards makes me want to go on another road trip across the USA.

This is how it was back then... the pink and black suit was from a Disco Band I was in then... more Americana eh?

1stGuzzi.jpg

Alex

Hello to all, thanks for the preciuos advice. It's time to book the trip these days and surely I am looking forward to it. If you are on facebook I have become a guzzitech fan (not hard to find me, not many listed from Italy...), we might meet there before doing that in person, if possible next year.

Latest news from Mandello, I was passed by there a week ago during a bank holiday byke trip, a little cold mind you. They have almost finished pulling down most of the old factories walls behind the facade. By the summer a new factory will be built and delivered for local production, so Mandello will not lose one of the major motorbike brands in the world. Surely it is going to be different...in the old days they used to do everything there starting from electricity (internal generators driven by a water fall) down to foundries, to all nuts and bolts, painting, chroming, etc. Motoguzzi in Mandello being part of the larger Piaggio group is just one of the production sites, engineering, design, development etc can be done where skills and resources are. The prototypes I saw in Milan during the EICMA fair where realy exciting, the Lemand I saw there is the next MG I am going to buy!

Best regards,

Ennio

ec_56 said:
...By the summer a new factory will be built and delivered for local production, so Mandello will not lose one of the major motorbike brands in the world. Surely it is going to be different...
Best regards, Ennio

thanks for the the update. Any chance of posting a few pictures of the progress of the "new" factory?

Any chance of "obtaining" a brick or two from one of the buildings?

Not STEALING mind you...

Alex

Welcome, Ennio..
I built a Jackal sidecar rig several years ago to do Rt. 66. My wife says it is the best vacation we ever took. A Harley is well suited for this trip. As Daniel said, do your research. Quite a bit of the old 66 is still there, sometimes as a frontage road, sometimes an underpass..
Some of the original pavement is intact to this day. A few of the 30s motels still survive. Stay at the Blue Swallow. Many roadside attractions still survive. Barely. Visit some of the dead or dying towns that were bypassed. See the painted desert, meteor crater, the list goes on.. :D
114-1425_IMG.jpg

112-1258_IMG.jpg

114-1485_IMG.jpg

Thanks guys for your information contribution, please keep it coming.

Cheers,
Ennio

Daniel Kalal said:
we're straying from the thread, but can somebody point out in the Google image where the roof-top test track used to be? I've been there a few times, but it's never been clear how there could be a track on any of the buildings I saw.
Daniel, edit/re-post your words above in this thread HERE. Answer you there.

Ennio

I'm assuming you will be driving a Harley from the Touring line of models. Don't be tempted by the lighter models. The touring models appear to be the big and heavy, and they are, but I have recently ridden both a Dyna Street and an Ultra Classic Electra Glide and found the Classic to handle better than the lighter Dyna; possibly because of the Classic has a shorter wheelbase. The Classic was more comfortable with regards to posture and it scraped less on turns as well.

Good luck and have fun. Sorry you won't be on a Guzzi but you never know miracles do happen.

Rafael

Hi to all of you, here we go:-

Vehicle Type: HD SPORTSTER 883
Check Out Date: 7/3/2010 5:00:00 PM
Check In Date: 7/17/2010 9:00:00 AM
Rent Length: 14 Days
Pickup Location: EagleRider Chicago
Return Location: EagleRider San Francisco

Comments on the bike for such a trip?
Ennio

The most irritating thing is , Yes some places have signs pointing to the Old route 66, but they do not mention Its a Dead End!
Did that a few times Last year.
Take Care Out There

I've just read Peter Egan's description (in Leanings) of a Route 66 trip and how he dealt with the dead ends and realignments. Some good tips and if nothing else it's a good read

ec_56 said:
Hi to all of you, here we go: Vehicle Type: HD SPORTSTER 883
Comments on the bike for such a trip?
Ennio, if you can (at all possible) afford to select one of the Touring models outlined above, I believe you would be much happier then on a Sportster with no wind protection, especially an 883.

Next week it all starts! Flight booked, bike booked, bought new boots and jacket, ready to go!!!!

I will be travelling with 2 friends with a very detailed plan: -fly in Chicago July 3rd and fly out from S.Francisco July 17th.

Thanks for your info contribution so far. If anything comes to mind please share,I will check the forum again before leaving. I will try to drop in Los Angeles Guzzi Tech shop to say hello, will ED and Todd be there?

Ciao
:D

Ennio

Hey Ennio,

Will you be able to tell us your progress? We are in Las Vegas, and we ride some of Rt66 in Arizona and California on our day rides.....would like to hook up with you. We can ride the section between Seligman, AZ and Victorville, CA.

Most important.....this time of year is VERY hot in the South West. Stay wet and hydrated. A few years ago, I almost lost a friend who rode from Arizona to Las Vegas with me in the heat. At the first stop sign off the freeway, he crashed, because his brain shut down because he didn't drink anything on the way back.

If you e-mail me at: crumpta(at)msn.com

I can give you my phone number for emergencies at least.

Tim

Congrats Ennio, do keep us posted if you can, as you travel. I look forward to meeting you.

280 miles today, sunny and warm plus 3 minutes rain spell that drowned us!!! Tomorrow only Highway we should have crossed Missouri by then. No problems with the 883, just a scooter with high wheels...
Keep you posted!

Back