• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ruined my christmas

slowmover

Just got it firing!
aaaarrgh!-4 days off and the temps above 35-I check the oil on the v7 classic and get 4 miles away and the oil light comes on-
I look down and my foot and every part of the bike behind it is drenched in oil-the oilcap/dipstick is gone! I must have not tightened it.
So heres the questions-Did it hurt anything to drive it back to the house? I'm guessing there was oil still coating everything for the
short drive-I,m in the process of cleaning the oil off everything but i think the rear pads got wet-Do i have to change them?
What else could be affected by the oil? Am I getting old and stupid?

Pete is correct. I read his reply there. Sorry but there is no miracle save here.

I've done a bit of testing on oil pressure switches and they usually only need 2-5 psi to go open circuit so the light doesn't appear. Excessive wear would have been occurring before you saw the light.

The answers you have already received are the probable situation. I'd put oil in the bike and if it works without disturbing noises then go back to enjoying it. What is done, is done. Start saving for a big end repair. When you will need it is anyones guess.

If in any doubt replace brake pads. I'm a cheapskate though. If they had a lot of life I'd see how they felt after a clean up. :lol:

They are still making those things. Its not as if it can't be repaired or replaced. Cheer up and enjoy your Christmas. ;)

I'm taking the opposite position, doubting serious or even minor damage. Put oil in it and ride, doubtful you'll hear or find any damage. I've done similar on a BMW airhead, wide open for hundreds of miles across Europe to find no oil on the stick when checking. I put another 15k on that bike and it never needed oil between 3k mile changes unless I did ton plus.

I also worked in a Honda auto service center and we had techs forget to refill oil when changing oil, a call later from several miles away and no problems on followup later. The same happened to my dad's Crown Vic, no oil added when in for a change. Only a few miles before the light, but 40k later still not burning oil and no service other than oil changes.

I once stopped at a light on The Eldo. My buddy sez "Hey!" and points.

I looked down to see the engine emptying on the pavement.

The plug had dropped out RIGHT THERE!

Sheesh.

My suggestion would be to filler er up, and start it. Be prepaired for an explosion and total replacement. If that doesn't happen you'll feel GREAT!

Good luck.

Alex

A friend of mine worked for the Ducati importer here in Aus and was doing the PD on a 900 Monster.He noticed the oil pressure light woudnt go off when running.Long story short the main oil gallery from the pump wasnt fully drilled so no oil going anywhere.
They stripped the engine down and found nothing wrong with it at all.
So this engine had done to 40min run on the engine breakin bench at the factory,the 3 min hard run on the rolling road after assembly and the 5 min or so running in the factory setting the idle and CO levels with no oil pressure.
You'de be surprised at how long a modern engine can survive without oil.
You might be lucky
Ciao

Do you have access to a manual oil pressure gauge? Drain the oil n see what it looks like... If it looks like oil mixed with aluminum paint, you have problems.....If not, hook up the gauge (and add oil) n see what you have at idle and half throttle with a warm engine.

Well I'd be a brave man to go against Pete's recommendations, he is VERY rarely wrong.

A lot of good suggestions so far and also on WG. I to have known cases where engines and gearboxes have been run with either ludicrously little or no oil. The results have always been a lottery, some get away with it for a ridiculous amount of time and others have trashed the engine or gearbox (depending on what it was) in short order.

No offense we have all been unlucky and done stuff that we later regretted and then learned from it (well I sure as hell have), but there is no definitive answer.

It comes down to this................ what sort of personality are you?

If your the happy go lucky type and don't worry too much about stuff, then drain it, strain it and also cut open the oil filter. If its all clean, fill it with fresh oil, new filter and go ride. On the first run pay attention and listen for knocking or rattling noises and excessive blue smoke and don't overdo it for the first few miles (cover the clutch).

If you worry about the possible implications and it will ruin every run you go on, about what the smallest noise is, then drop the sump and examine the mains. Take the heads and barrels off to examine small ends, pistons, barrels and head. This is what I'd do because its Winter here and I'd have the time before riding weather comes around. That's because I fall into the latter category.

It's less work to do than you think once you get stuck in and either way its fixable, so you still have a good bike just may be out of pocket max case. You just gotta make your mind up on your course of action and jump.

Also consider when you next want to use it. If it's goanna be off the road for a month or 2 why not just check it. You're goanna be sick as sea going parrot if you leave it in the garage for a few months and then have to start fixing it when the good weather comes around.

That's just MY OPINION though. Good luck either way and really hope no damage has been done

John

As I see it you have 2 options.

1. Throw some oil in it and ride and see what happens.
The problem with this is that if there is only minor damage already, (probably the best you can hope for) it is likely to become major damage very quickly and be very expensive.
or
2. You can pull it down progressively with the fist items to check being the big end and main bearings. If these are clear and the oil is clean then you have been extraordinarily lucky and should buy yourself a lottery ticket. You will need to check other parts of the engine also but the bearings are the most likely damage points.
I know others have recounted instances where engines have survived 0 or minimal oil pressure but from my experience this is the exception rather than the rule. I think it is highly unlikely that there is no damage.
If it were mine I would pull it apart before I fired it up again as I would rather spend a small fortune on fixing it than having to pay for a total rebuild or worse case scenario a new engine, especially if it has low mileage.
If the pull down finds no damage then it has to be worth it from the point of restoring your confidence in the bike.

Mark

Back