• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Running lean / pinging hack fix requires

spearquit

Just got it firing!
Hi all.

So, I’m in the middle of a European roadtrip in the middle of nowhere. Limited tool kit. And to make it worse, it’s some sort of national holiday, most mechanics / technicians are closed or doing irrati hours.

For the last say 700 miles, I now understand that my 2018 v7iii is running lean, lots of constant pinging and backfiring. Originally, I had thought it just a guzzi rattle - I’ve done most of the usual fixes looking for a none mechanical rattle - ie headlight, header brackets, horn rattling, stuff touching the frame, etc.

I cannot get to a technician until Tuesday, and there 400km away.

Is there a ‘hack’ or anything you’d recommend to stop it running lean in the interim? I’m terrified of something going very wrong.

Cheers

Check for an air leak at the throttle body and manifold to cylinder connections. You might get lucky and have a hose clamp getting loose. Other things you can do if you must keep riding--get the highest octane fuel you can find; keep the engine RPM a little higher with less torque required by running a gear lower.

Nothing suspect on the throttle body ie loose clips, but to be honest I don’t really no what I’m looking at. I’m currently running it on 99 octane, but it’s still happening, and very quickly.

So, another forum post I’ve found has said that perhaps unplugging the 02 sensor might help things? Reckon this is true? And how / where / what should I be doing?

I assume you bought it used. Either way has the evap system been modified IE the charcoal canister removed? There is a nipple fitting on the top of the intake tube Y. If the hose is off or missing plug it. It would be a major direct air leak.

Yeah, bought it used 2 years ago. As far as I’m aware, the bike is bone stock.

Really sorry, you’re talking an alien language to me! So bare with me.

Am I looking at the throttle body for this nipple fitting?

I’ve taken a look at some threads for evap delete. I can also see that a remap would be useful, as some other fuelling suggestions, which should solve my new running lean problem. However, if you take a look at my post, you’ll see I’m half way through the middle of nowhere.

Whilst I’ll definitely take a look at these upgrades when I’m home, I’m really in need of hack suggestions using a basic toolkit in the interim.

Unfortunately, what you are asking is virtually impossible. Without being able to see, touch, hear and feel what is going on with your motorcycle, any course of action would be nothing more than a haphazard guess at the very best.

My problem more so is that you don’t state your mechanical ability but it doesn’t sound like a whole lot. This further complicates giving you “in the field” suggestions.

So if I said, pop the valve cover in the morning when the engine is cold, and pull both spark plugs.

Compare the color of the plugs (pay attention to which one came from which side) and check the rocker assembly. I would even rotate the engine to TDC and check that there is free play on the pushrods on both sides of the engine. Can you understand this and perform the checks?

Hi scotr,

Sorry for sounding frustrated, I’m just getting a little stressed. Sorry about that.

So, whilst I’m semi capable, and do most of my own basic stuff (ie serviced, etc), I’m not mechanically mended in that I know how everything works. I’m only knowledgable about the things I’ve previously worked on, if that makes sense.

I’d say I’m capable of following instruction, in a monkey see monkey do kind of fashion.

I may try the above. However, the issue remains that if I find a discolouration of the spark plugs, there’s not a huge amount I can do about it.

On the bottom right it shows throttle body. It is connected to a rubber Y boot. Check to see if the Y boot is completely on the cylinders and on the throttle body. Snug up the clamps, the nipple that should have the hose on it going to the evap system is there too and needs to be on the Y and in the evap. If gone that hole has to be plugged. A short piece of fuel line with a bolt/plug will do for now. Again had to diagnose from here and hard to know what has been done. If was fine until this trip did you do something to it.
20221029_130922-jpg.27292

Everyone - thanks for taking the time to advise on all of the above. I'm back in the UK and safe.

I'll be taking the above steps with the remap. I'll be doing the Evap removal in preparation for it this weekend.

Really appreciated,

Back