• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Running on reserve already?

r00

Just got it firing!
Just bought a 2009 Griso 8V, and I love it so far. There are a couple hitches which I hope to fix (there's some stumbling in 1st and 2nd gear between 20-40mph). I've filled it up once already, but it's only been about 75 miles in, and the reserve light is on! It'll be on for about a minute, then shut off for another couple, then it comes on again. I guess the float is just at that level, but only 75 miles? That's what, 75/3.5= 21.4mpg? Wow. I am doing city commuting, could that be it? I seem to spend most of my time in 1st through 3rd gear.

When you take it in for the first service make sure they upload the new fuel injection map, that will help a lot. Also my fuel economy improved a bit after 3000-3500 miles.

Around the city I get in the 29-33mpg range, and cruising out on the highway/country roads I get 38-44mpg depending on my speed.

Mine has clocked 1800km since new and mostly see highway riding. Fuel consumption is between 42 to 44 mpg.

I believe the low fuel light will only turn on/off when it gets a constant signal longer than a couple of seconds from the low fuel float switch in the tank. If you fill up your tank when the low fuel light is ON, you will still see the low fuel light in the first 100 or 200 meters even though the tank is full.

Yes, when my G8V was standard I used to get 35/37mpg, but now with PCV/AT etc I get around 46mpg, and with thrashing it about. I also used to get that stumbling, due to transition between closed to open loop fuelling. So I suggest you get the PCV/AT or new ECU map. Its worth persevering , cause when its right its great. Just a shame Guzzi can't do it.

The PCV/AT package is the only 'Complete' system currently commonly available in the English speaking world. It will no doubt enable things to be set up more satisfactorily than relying on the stock mapping.

BUT before you go down that route I strongly suggest you get the bike set up correctly. I purhased the full PCV/AT package but have decided not to use it on my 8V's, (Either of 'em, I own two.) because both of mine run perfectly acceptably FOR ME and despite what some may think I'm pretty picky.

You'll find a host of postings here on adjustment and set-up of the 8V motored bikes. Have a read of them and ensure that your bike is set up right at its first service, (This will require the 'Technician' to do more than change the oil and filter and listen to the tappets :roll: ). Give it a few thousand Kms to settle in and then decide if you need or want a map modifier. The PCV/AT is a good system, but it isn't obligatory.

Pete

Thanks, and good to know fellas! I'm hoping to get it settled mid next week, can't wait for it to be broken in properlike! :D

Whatever you do don't 'Baby' it during break in. The vast majority of the bikes that are having oil consumption issues are ones that have been ridden like bits of Dresden china during break in. Don't be afraid to give it the odd blast up to 7,500 under high load.

pete

I've done just under 10,000 miles on my Griso SE with a Termi so it is very run in.
On a 850 mile run through France and Spain loaded with luggage last week it averaged 46mpg (that's UK gallons).
Reserve light comes on at about 130 miles.
As earlier posters pointed out it gets better as it frees up.
Do get the thing remapped, throttle bodies checked for balance and TPS reset at the service.
Cheers
Gordon

pete roper said:
Whatever you do don't 'Baby' it during break in. The vast majority of the bikes that are having oil consumption issues are ones that have been ridden like bits of Dresden china during break in. Don't be afraid to give it the odd blast up to 7,500 under high load.

pete

+1 and if anyone needs help breaking in a brand new bike I'll donate my 285 lbs of *cough* pure muscle to give the bike some weight to pull while I thrash it about. ;)

r00, welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the G8V! I see you're in Santa Monica, so be sure to join us at the Rock Store first Sunday of the month, though most of us are usually there every Sunday.

The gas gauge runs on temperature/resistance as the fuel that sits around it. It is slow to respond. If your second and third tanks show the same, the gauge/fuel pump assy. should be replaced under warranty. As stated above, break-in period is not one to count numbers, just enjoy it... it won''t *start* breaking-in until >10k miles.

I'm in the Santa Monica Mtns, and under the Southwest section you'll see I have the GuzziTech Garage open to local Guzzisti. When you are ready to have the bike properly set-up/dialed, feel free to contact me. I have the lastest OEM 068 map, and can check yours/upload it, free of charge. When you are ready to make your G8V run perfectly, I'd be happy to give you a taste of it when you are ready.

See you on the road soon, or reach me here any time and/or direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

pete roper said:
I purhased the full PCV/AT package but have decided not to use it on my 8V's, (Either of 'em, I own two.) because both of mine run perfectly acceptably FOR ME and despite what some may think I'm pretty picky.
Pete, I've sold quite a few of these kits now, and it works brilliantly well. There are many posts here that support it. If you don't want to try it, that's fine, but please stop posting on how you bought it and didn't need it, since you never actually took the time to allow me to fit it for you to try on your bike. For nearly everyone that has fitted it, it works impressively well.
The 068 map is barely tolerable in my book, and once you ride one that has had this system fitted most will never turn back, especially after seeing/knowing how critically lean & hot the engine runs with the factory mapping. Upside for this system too is that you can fuel it however you want, as any one can change it with a few keystrokes on the computer.

On my G11, I ride relatively hard on A-roads (single carriageways for you Americans ;) ) and generally will get full-tank to light-on in about 95 miles, at an avg of 33-35m/USg. Motorways, if I sit at 70 I can get 45+, 80 its about 40+, the speeds I usually cruise at (about 90-95) I'm getting as low as 27 :eek:

Turning the stepper motor off helped a little, and I wait to see if it'll improve with the 003 map. It certainly picks up better than it did.

A lot of it depends on headwinds too I find. One way doing 80mph I was getting 34-35 and when the wind was low or behind me I was getting 40-42 at the same speeds over similar terrain and similar conditions save the wind direction and speed.

After a small service to install my GPS system (rlink.com), they found that the right side spark plug wire was almost disconnected! It may have been giving me erratic mileage, as well as the hesitation stumbling I was feeling in a lower gear. It still feels a little weird now, but I'm not sure if it's the Stelvio spark wire fix they did (still an 8V engine), or the fuel map.. I'm getting a bunch of little things fixed under warranty, the bike has almost 700 miles on it. The dealership checked and it was running G801? I can't remember the first couple of numbers. The tech said that it (the software) would let him know if it truly needed updating? He was using Navigator, from what I recall.

G801 is the original, really shitty, map. It can easily be updated to the #68 map with Nagrivator as long as the operator of the tool knows the code and isn't an imbecile.

Pete

I'll be going over everything for r00 (including the map update for him, thanks Pete) on Sunday.

Back