• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Running rich?

stromcat

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Checked my oil level today (it was fine),and noticed it smelt of petrol.Also the silencer outlets were a bit sooty.Do these bikes run a bit rich,or is it just mine?Will be going for its first service soon,so will mention it then.Bike runs fine,and is getting 50mpg (imperial).

My bikes silencer is also a bit sooty. I don't think it's fine. I took the lambda probes out and the tips were different colors. One was light gray and the other was dark.

The same with my silencer tip.
While I in any way don’t think something is wrong or bad, I do think the build up of soot has come surprisingly soon.
It was already noticeable very early, but distinctly so after 1200 miles (2000km).
We can speculate in if it’s intentional by MG (keep the engine cooler), or if it runs slightly richer on one cylinder.
Considering peoples different experiences with engine vibrations on this model, it could be a matter of fine tuning the intake air flow?
I don’t know.
The bike runs properly well as it should.
But my engine do give a lot of vibrations especially at lower revs and acceleration..
Anyway, rich fuel mixture means room for fine tuning, gaining a little more power, no? 😎

Last edited:
I haven’t been able to see even one in my shop yet, but I’ll do some AFR diagnostics when I do. Anyone with one in SoCal reading this, please contact me via the GTM SERVICE link above.
Historically, in my 22+ years of being deep into Guzzi F.I., they never get it even close to right. I expect the V100 to be no different. They are handcuffed by emissions restrictions too of course.
Tailpipe soot is likely purely condensation collection/discharge. Zero to do with running.

I appreciate the findings here.
If MG usually get if far from right with the fueling (individual for each bike I reckon) then it would be interesting to improve.
I got a big dealer/workshop from where I bought the bike, and listening to other bikers around here they may be a bit more interested in billing the work than to satisfy the customers.
Luckily there is also a small workshop authorized for MG in the area.
My bike works great.
But if there may be a correlation between fueling and vibrations I’m all for diving into it.

But if there may be a correlation between fueling and vibrations I’m all for diving into it.
No IF, guaranteed. Please don’t ignore my experience. No need to assume or guess.

No IF, guaranteed. Please don’t ignore my experience. No need to assume or guess.
Then I trust your experience. 👍

…and look forward to what a fine tuning will give 🙂
Hopefully there is a shop in the region who can assist in that case.

In my experience most engines run a bit rich these days, whether 2 or 4 wheeled. It's safer to run a bit rich than lean. Moto Guzzi has no way of knowing if you're going to be running it at sea level or up in the Rockies.

I'll probably get mine tuned next spring once I have it nice and broken in and I'm reasonably sure nothing is going to spring a leak or fall off :rofl:

Last edited:
Moto Guzzi has no way of knowing if you're going to be running it at sea level or up in the Rockies.
Fact check here: The bike is set up to crudely adjust itself with elevation changes via barometric pressure sensor. They are (after all) at the base of the Alps.
I'll probably get mine tuned next spring once I have it nice and broken in
So you're OK in allowing extreme lean running until then? ;)

Tunes invalidate warranties if you get caught. So if it blows up from their stupidity it's on them, I get it tuned and they catch it it's on me.

I'm pretty sure mine is running rich and not lean considering all the decel pops I get.

And stop trying to get me to move to Cali so you can play with my v100, NJ is bad enough without Cali's bs >:)

Tunes invalidate warranties if you get caught. So if it blows up from their stupidity it's on them, I get it tuned and they catch it it's on me.

I'm pretty sure mine is running rich and not lean considering all the decel pops I get.

And stop trying to get me to move to Cali so you can play with my v100, NJ is bad enough without Cali's bs >:)
Please cut the warranty stuff. Guzzi is so reluctant to honor them it doesn't matter what you do to the map.

And stop trying to get me to move to Cali so you can play with my v100, NJ is bad enough without Cali's bs
We live warranties here, and have for well over 20+ years now. See John's words above.
Pop-on-decel (it's most often called) is a lean condition, not rich.
Yes this State sucks for many things, but it's still Moto heaven for the roads and weather.

Back