• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rusty Mirror Stems

Goodvibes

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So what are the best options? Replace or powdercoat? It's either skimpy plating or the ocean air that's eating them up.

Hi,
Goodvibes said:
So what are the best options? Replace or powdercoat? It's either skimpy plating or the ocean air that's eating them up.
I think it's a combination of not so good quality chroming and the salty air.
I don't live near to the sea, my mirror stems doesn't rust.
But don't you have problems with the so called "zinc-plated" fasteners in your Guzzi? :cry:
Bolts in the engine, brakedisks to wheel, in your Carc and so on.
I replaced around 50 pieces, spring last year.
Special ones, M8 with M6 heads( 10 mm), M10 with M8 heads (13mm) , I have zincplated them again.
After this action, I was satisfied at these details... :geek:

If you have chrome plated mirrors, replace them. If you have black mirrors, powdercoat them.

Ad B

Ad B said:
But don't you have problems with the so called "zinc-plated" fasteners in your Guzzi? :cry:
Bolts in the engine, brakedisks to wheel, in your Carc and so on.
I replaced around 50 pieces, spring last year.
Ouch! That's a lot of replacing going on for corrosion issues. I have not noticed any worrisome rust issues elsewhere on the Griso. I forgot to mention the stem rust is on the windward faces only . . . guess those surfaces are getting hit by stuff that breaks the mil-thick chrome. Maybe I'll look into some Rizoma's.

Hi,
Goodvibes said:
Ouch! That's a lot of replacing going on for corrosion issues. ...
Mmmm, it looks as it is much... but aint thát much.
Here are a few pictures:

:whistle: :whistle:
These details were important for the looks of my Griso :* .
It is not so much work, the result is so, so much better.
Rust is a deal breaker for your bike.

Regards.
Ad B

Attachments

• rust  1.jpg
    rust 1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 497
  • no rust 1.jpg
    no rust 1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 497
  • rust 2.jpg
    rust 2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 497
  • no rust 2.jpg
    no rust 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 497
  • rust 3.jpg
    rust 3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 497
  • no rust 3.jpg
    no rust 3.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 497
  • no rust 4.jpg
    no rust 4.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 497
Vibes,if you want to pay shipping I can either send you the stems or the whole assys.They are just taking up space in my tool box.I am guessing shipping might be 10-12 bucks from Atlanta to you.
Mell/duc

grimace said:
rizoma circuit 851's look nice. I just picked up a pair.
They are quite attractive. . . but how's the side view after you reversed them? I like high style like most everyone, but when it comes to mirrors, I prefer function over form. Looks like the Rizoma speed naked design would be more functional, even after reversing the 851's??

I was out fiddling with them today to get good angles on them today. Ended up loosening the brake and clutch assembly, rotating them forward. This put the mirrors at a better angle. Haven't yet been on the road so might need more adjusting.
I flipped the 851s when i had a '04 Z1000. I'm pretty sure this gave a better view as i left them that way until i sold the bike. Left them on the bike should have kept them. The Z had supper vibrations above 7000rpm so pretty much useless for viewing on that bike unless cruising.
The best mirrors I have ever had were the stockers on my M109r. No buzzing issues and could see everything at any rpm. Not too pretty though. I'll probably go for a ride monday as it should be 60 degrees that day.

duc said:
Vibes,if you want to pay shipping I can either send you the stems or the whole assys.They are just taking up space in my tool box.I am guessing shipping might be 10-12 bucks from Atlanta to you.
Mell/duc
Check your PM duc . . .

Rode to work yesterday. Mirrors work decent. Less buzzing than stock ones. Would work better if mirrors were bigger. At idle there is quite a bit more vibes. Still need more adjustment.

Attachments

• rizomas.JPG
    rizomas.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 331
Back