• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Save the Racers Tail

timothy st.john

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi everyone,

The great thing about having a V7 Racer, I now find, is that most everybody else who got one has dumbed their's down in embarrassment of being targeted by riders of humbler V7 variants, both on forums and on the street; they believe that their course of more...temperate acquisition, somehow reflects that they boast a greater level of 'actual' rider enthusiasm, while Racer owners are clearly posers.

There is only one thing (well, two actually) that I enjoy more than a good 'ride' (wait, philosophically two of those are the same thing...moving on), and thats meeting, and talking to new people. If you presently choose riding 'bikes' over 'talking' to people, I can help you (I keep regular office hours but I'm not cheap), and nothing, but nothing, attracts people like a Racer; not even a blinged-out or blacked-out Harley (both of which intimidate rather than attract), and no one on the street has ever commented on my Panigale.

Many Racer owners seem to have lost sympathy for their once beloved seat cowls, chrome tanks, and solo saddles. As a happy result of this, nobody else's Racer looks like mine; which ironically is largely stock. What many of you failed to have grasped, is that excess in one aspect of the bikes styling was largely balanced out by excess in another area.

The tail section was balanced (in consequence only) by the chrome tank; the dull black wheels were balanced out by the red frame and hubs, etc. Philosophically, formal aesthetics is about balance, and formal philosophy is what I do. I've played around with aesthetic syllogisms to improve on the balance of this bikes style, and almost every time more was lost than was gained by it. Well done Guzzi!

Even the simple addition of knee pads to the tank (as a means to quiet the amount of chrome on show) disturbed the pregnant joy of the lines of its pleasantly portly tank, more than it succeeded in dumbing down the 'bling'. And thats just my point. A simple algebra of debit and credit fails in address of the calculus of emotion. In sessions, I ask everyone who absently says, 'I feel...' to tell me what they think; and vice versa. Neither question should ever be asked without it is immediately followed by the other.

Now, go and look at your bike, and ask yourself what you 'feel'. If the answer is different than what you 'think', then you have failed 'caculus' (again?) of aesthetics that first attracted you to the bike.
Its not very often that stylists, even Italian ones, get it so right. That being said, I did discover two fixes that, in my opinion, greatly improve the existentialism of the bike without detracting from it at all.

These 'character' mods corrected the pretence and arbitrariness of the least popular style elements of the V7, to give it the gritty...legitimacy it otherwise lacks; but desperately needs in order to woo those men that lack the courage to mount a beauty, because she's too...obvious. God forbid your kids, your pastor, or worse...your mother should see you in such company. Less is always just less (even in philosophical ideology).

On the other hand, these are the kind of changes that cause your buddies to be quietly covetous (though their stares betray them, she won't blush or mind; even if you do) and slap you on the back (this assumes a back broad enough in metaphor to suffer the blow without injury; physical or emotional), if only when their own mounts are out of sight, and I assure you...out of mind.

If you've been following, then you should have expected that these changes are going to actually ramp things up a notch (in terms of what you 'think' in analysis of the individual elements), in pursuit of dialling things down (what you feel in synthesis of the overall effect), in achievement of aesthetic equilibrium. As I said, Guzzi almost got it right. You bought it, but realized on some level that something was amiss.

In philosophy, moving away from a thing only to arrive unexpectedly back to it is called dialectic: a thing (the thesis) passes over to become its opposite (its antithesis), before achieving intellectual marriage in 'synthesis': the forfeiture of independence necessary to the realization of an existent thing: something real or dimensionally substantive born of two unreal 'essences' with no independent substance.

One of the aesthetic, and yes...by definition, philosophic upgrades, involves the number plates, on the seat cowl and front fairing, while the other involves the rear fender. But it has just occurred to me that the pictures I took of my bike are on the Blackberry I use for my corporate clients. So maybe I'll just leave off here, until I get that phone in hand later in the week.

The down side of elegant urban living is its a long way to my bike (to take more pictures), and to the nearest fly-fishing stream for that matter. If there is enough uptake on this thread, I will revisit it with pictures, but I suspect that there aren't as many Racer owners out there committed to its true ethos, and who are also tuned in to this forum, as might be necessary to deliver it to general consideration.

Timothy St. John

P.S. If you want to meet people, wear a Bell Bullitt Helmet (fine for casual rides); people love that thing; preferably in the silliest colors: metallic blue or the TT version. Add a bubble shield and your a rock star; if only in costume. Hey, I can get you there, the rest is up to you.

Last edited:
I very much enjoy reading your well considered and articulate elucidations. My V7 Classic evokes a similar response. Congratulations are in order now that you have a coveted Racer in your possession. I hope that you spend many pleasant miles on her.
Cheers!

There is more rationalization in that post than I have read in a very long time. You never got around to telling us what you did to actually "enhance" this bike. Everything is subject to personal taste and to suggest any change that you don't approve of is poor form is more than a tad arrogant. The one redeeming feature of the post is that you have set the level for your posts. We know what to expect from you.

Thanks for your commentary. Arrogance is a product of either ignorance or intelligence, but not both. Usually the rationale behind an earnest opinion advises us which faculty is at play, and precludes presumption against the individuals intent and character. I presume nothing, and am advised instead only by experience; such as this.

Last edited:
OK, I can't write or think at Timothy's level, but here's what I do. Some days I put my 7's on and some days I take them off. So yes, there is a definite "feel" to it. I like the fact that with a few clicks and turns I can change my bike. Not to mention if I want to take my wife for a ride.

I'll add I do enjoy reading your posts Timothy, even if I don't understand them. I'll also add in addition to saving the Racer's Tail, let's save V7 rear fenders!

Last edited:
Hello,

Actually, you sell yourself short, because you already do! The point is (as you have clearly explained to yourself) that you put the 7's on when it's about esthetics + joy, and take them off when it's about joy + company. You explain yourself to yourself, and make room for aesthetics; which is one of the 5 pillars of western philosophic inquiry.

To fail in that is to hide from the self, in fear of knowing the self, leaving you free to hope for a more flattering return. But the self doubt born of wilfull ignorance is an honerous burdon to carry. People who know themselves for having had the courage to actually look at themselves are always worth talking to.

Timothy St. John

P.S. I do the same thing for my wife to wet her appetite.

Last edited:
The number plates are a bit too passé for me (as a AMA Pro ex-racer), and it's pretty laughable for anyone, including Guzzi, to present the V7 as a "Racer" at all really. The number plates are the first thing I pulled off my RentAGuzzi V7R. That said, the appeal of the chrome tank and red frame draws a crowd at every stop, no doubt.

I'm at an age now where I've been around the block a few times, and for me, dressing up is something I just won't entertain. The retro helmets aren't for me, but if you can pull it off, I say go for it. ;)

I am working on having some GuzziTech oval stickers made to cover the number plates with a plain black and red and/or chrome trim stripe around the perimeter... which I'll offer up here for anyone interested(?).

Thanks for weighing in Todd.

You are right as usual. The Racer is simply an hommage to a by-gone era. It is meant to stir nostalgia in those old enough to remember, and fire appreciation in the young sensitive enough to recognize the roots of style.

I did exactly what you are proposing: I made up a template in Word that generates stickers to cover the irrelevant statement of the '7', and replaced it with a matte white number blank surrounded in red.

I print whatever I want with a ink-jet on removable, self-adhesive, water-proof vinyl media, and it looks so retro cool. All the design elements are printed each time, including the bold red ellipse that rings it.

I just have the limited edition number from my bike (which is longer than I would like, but it still looks far better than the black 7), which is more retro-race looking; less pretty, more cool. A shorter number would fair better.

The large white panel also reduces the heavy look of the tale section and exaggerates the beauty of its solo lines. Replacing the fender with the chromed M.A.S. one, really made the cowl pop the way it should.

The chrome fender just seems to disappear under daylight conditions, and in practice adds no additional bling to the bike. If anything, the fender justifies the tank, creating juxtaposition for its excess.

Timothy St. John

P.S. A reporter once asked Mick Jagger when he was going to retire, to which he replied, "Then I would just be someone who use to be a rock-star." Conceding defeat to age that you do not feel marginalizes you by acquiescence, and consigns you to your own relevancy.

Last edited:
I found a picture. Sorry about the quality. Even with too many digits for anything but a field-day drive past (the public doesn't know the difference)
the effect is still the same; less pretty, more butch. The dart screen is the same. By the same, I mean it has the number 1351 on it also. I'll take some better pictures in service of having opened this thread. 20150312 103521

Last edited:
That's a pretty picture indeed! More mods than I expected after reading your post. I love the number plate, the bike # there is an awesome idea. The Aston in the background isn't exactly hurting my eyes either!

Nicely done Timothy, did you just rattle can the plastic plug covers? I'm kicking myself for waiting to ship my shocks off to RaceTech, its supposed to be 65 here tomorrow. DAMN!

20150312 103610 20150312 103735 I envy you the brevity of # 415. Try it out yourself. Maybe everybody with a Racer should do same. Oh yeah, the Aston is OK, but we're knee deep in them in Vancouver (Ferraris, Lambos, and McLarens too). That being the case, I'm looking for a 2005 Ford GT.

Anyway, as you can see, the seat cowl is not necessarily the problem; it's the black number plate, the number 7 itself, and the bulky fender that have to go. Then you lose mass without losing character

Last edited:
For those of you who search by avatar, please be advised that at the recommendation of my wife, I have eliminated Socrates as my avatar. It has been suggested that it is pretentious to propose personal communion with so lofty a figure outside the philosophic community. So, as it was my wife who made the suggestion, I have made my wife my avatar; for the time being anyway. See, I told you I know about aesthetics.

While we're on about the tale, can anyone tell me how that brown suede seat holds up to daily abuse of friction and the elements? I'm thinking about buying a black suede one to use on a daily basis, because AF1 has them on for only 80 something bucks. The brown was is almost $300 to replace however.

Hi,
I may be late to this party but I bought a black vinyl duo seat to use on wet/work days,it came with passenger foot pegs (which I haven't fitted) but I have to say I like the look when fitted especially the moto guzzi branding on the back in white paint.
While I'm here I've also fitted a pair of Triumph Thruxton bar end mirrors.

Hi Old Dog!

I've seen the seat you speak of. I like it too. I think it also comes with a gray top if I'm not mistaken. It's not cheap though as I recall. If you wouldn't mind venturing another post, what kind of support does It offer?

Timothy St. John

I work in Engineering so a 'plain' everyday seat was what I needed,keep the original one for sunday best.I'm 5'10'' and the normal 'stone/special' seat suits me fine,comfortable & hard wearing plus being a proper duo seat offers the ability of having a passenger.Your quite correct about the colour schemes available mine cost £150.00 pounds sterling (as the kit)but it's the 'MOTO GUZZI' lettering stenciled in white on the rear that I like.

Thanks! That seat is almost four times the price of the black suede solo saddle in Canadian dollars,but i value the recommendation.

Timothy St. John

P.S. I wish I had some English country roads to ride down again. It's a long way to anywhere in Canada. Enjoy, and ride safe.

For those of you who search by avatar, please be advised that at the recommendation of my wife, I have eliminated Socrates as my avatar. It has been suggested that it is pretentious to propose personal communion with so lofty a figure outside the philosophic community. So, as it was my wife who made the suggestion, I have made my wife my avatar; for the time being anyway. See, I told you I know about aesthetics.
Beautiful, the Racer and the Avatar. A sincere compliment from one who appreciates aesthetics.
Cheers.

Back