• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Screaming clutch

Breva1200

Just got it firing!
Dear members,
For a few weeks I do hear a noise on my Breva 1200ABS which I don't like. When I'm driving away out of standstil in first gear, I hear a screaming noise out of the clutch I think. It lasts only for the time I release the clutch-handle. It also appearse driving away in second gear. I asked my dealer but didn't receive a satisfying answer. I also wrote about it on a dutch forum, but nobody can exacly tell me the cause or the solution.
I hope there is anyone who recognises the problem and is able to give me some good suggestions to eliminate the problem.

The same is found in the Stelvio. It's just cold clutch plates. Once it warms, it does not do so any more, correct?

My 2008 Norge does the same thing. But the sound is the alternator belt slipping.Doesnt do it all the time.

Indeed, this morning I noticed that the screamig noise appeares louder when my bike is cold. Later on it decreases to a lower level or almost disappeares. Must say that the weather was real Dutch, wet and windy. Maybe therefore the clutch was a little bit less dry.
As I said it only a occures when I'm driving away out of standstill.
For sure I will also check the alternatorbelt. That's not a lot of work fortunately.
Thanks for your quick reactions. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this 'problem', as far as it is a problem.
No one of you have replaced the clutch for this reason?

I've heard a variety of reports from credible folks about the single plate clutch used in 8V motored bikes 'Moaning' when cold but the Breva 12 uses the ancient twin plate design and moaning as one of the few faults it never experienced!

No idea on this one. sotrry.

Pete

GT-Rx said:
The same is found in the Stelvio. It's just cold clutch plates. Once it warms, it does not do so any more, correct?

This is a timely thread. My Stelvio did the same thing this morning when I was pulling out of the driveway headed for work. It kind of startled me, but once I was underway it did not repeat the noise, so I guess it is nothing to be concerned about.

Bruce

I have the same issue with my Norge. Have had it for 15,000 miles. It hasn't gotten worse, and it goes away when the bike warms up so Todd's cold clutch plate remark is probably it in my case.

My Breva 1100's clutch made a noise for most of the time I owned it, 4 out of 5 years probably. It did it most when under a heavier load, like pulling away on a hill and it didn't matter if it was hot or cold. The bike had done over 37K by the time I recently changed it for a Norge and the clutch worked fine all the time. Must admit it didn't really bother me, yet another Guzzi quirk. Could always fit a louder pipe of course !!

Hello;

I have had the same experience with my 08 Norge. When I asked the techs at Nationals (in Colorado) they said it was a small build up of "dust" in between the clutch plates, that makes them squeal. It seems to come and go. They did not seem to think it was a problem and it does not effect the performance of the bike in the slightest. I don't think I have heard it in a few months... For me its a non-issue.

Hey guys,
Thanks for your reactions. I am glad to hear that more of you handle with the same issue. As it looks its not a problem exept for the noise. As some of you say, its more or less present from time to time. My local dealer also concluded it does not harm. For now I will continue driving my Breva as I did. Grtz.

Back