• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

SERVICE light, and red triangle

Lannis

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Everything fine when I pulled into the shed on Monday. Got the 09 Stelvio out today, headed into work, glanced down and noticed that:

1) The speedometer is reading "0".
2) The odometer is stuck on 02665 miles.
3) The word "SERVICE" is displayed across the bottom of the dash display
4) The little red triangle is lit on top of the dash.

So I pulled over and did the following:

1) Looked in the manual (in case you are wondering, YES, I am a human male!)
2) Saw that it says that if the "SERVICE" display is up, check the oil light. (Oil light is not on, no leaks, bike full of oil).
3) Says If no Oil light, then bike will probably continue to run although "at reduced performance".
4) Selected "Menu", "Diagnostics", entered the Service Code 10695, and looked at the Dashboard Error and ECU Error displays. Both showed No Errors. I cleared the Error Display and Service Interval functions anyhow.
5) SERVICE light and little red triangle are stil On. Rode on into work, hoping that it's a wet connection and the sun and wind and engine heat will fix it.

That's not going to happen, of course. Any suggestions as to how to find out what this is all about? I have all the manuals and wiring diagrams but no axxess to an Axone unless I truck it 300 miles and lose a day of work ....

Lannis

I had the same issue when I brought my Stallion in for the warranty fork replacement. When I picked it up I was on the freeway riding home and noticed the same thing with the speedometer showing 0 and the service light on. I turned her around and brought it back to PI and told them. They took it for a test ride and said everything is fine. I took it out again and it was fine. So I decided go home and about half way there the speedometer kept jumping from 0 to 30 to 90 etc. It was intermittent!! I never took it back it because the issue seemed to fix itself. It would work only at high speeds for a little bit and then starting working all over again.....I am assuming it is the Speedo sensor going bad. I currently still have her in the shop right now for an oil leak and I have addressed that issue with them...Lets see what they say!! Good Luck!!

Guzzirdr, thanks, that's an experience that sounds close to mine.

Does anyone know where the "speedometer sensor" is? Wonder if it's 'user-serviceable'? I'm still under warranty but the shop will send me parts if I'd rather replace something myself than truck it all the way across the state.

And does it make sense that this intelligent motorcycle would "know" that the speedo sensor is bad and turn on a red light for me?

Or is it just a coincidence, do you suppose?

Lannis

Hi Lannis,

Welcome to the world of crap speedo sensors! A bit of silicone or waterproof grease should do the trick once the sensor is dry.

Watch out for the oil sensor playing tricks too. On my first Griso I had a hell of a shock when I got oil warnings until I realized it was the sensor playing up.

If you have real oil problems a BIG oil can lights up on the display with the usual service message. I discovered this stuck in traffic for an hour in very hot weather. I was lucky.....it was just that the oil had got too thin to register. Pulled over, checked the dipstick , let it cool down for half and hour and everything was fine.

Well, the speedo sensor started working again about halfway through the ride home.

I'll dry it out good with some gentle heat tonight, then smear it good with some clear silicone sealer around where the wire goes in and see how it does!

Took the wheel off; the back tire has a little hole in it, leaking about 10 PSI a day, right in the tread. Took it to my local bike shop where I buy all my tires, hoping they'd put a proper internal patch on it, but they "don't repair tires". I went to all the automotive suppliers in town, looking for those patches, but none of them sell them. Looks like I'll have to take the tire off the rim at home, take it to my car tire guy, have him patch it, and take it back home and put it back on the rim ..... What a pain.

Lannis

Lannis,
If the Stelvio sensor is mounted on the inside of the CARC like on the Griso you should unscrew it and seal the mating face too. It might look like one moulded lump but there is a seam on the back of it.

Tyres! Yeah, my local bike shop won't do repairs 'coz their insurers won't let them but they do sell plug kits. My local tyre shop will send tyres away for vulcanized repairs which I have had done a couple of times but the hassle isn't worth it unless the rubber still has plenty of life left. So I use Ultra seal gloop as a precaution now. I know some people claim it upsets the wheel balance but I've never noticed and I'd rather not get stranded miles form anywhere with a puncture.

Will -

I'll take the sensor off tonight and seal it up good all round.

No luck with the tire. 3 motorcycle shops and 2 car tire places have told me to "bugger off - we don't do motorcycle tire repairs." I'm looking to see if I can find a patch kit locally. Then I'm going to remount it and put "Slime" in it like all my other tires have. Only bike I've got without "Slime" in the tires, and the only one I've gotten a flat on in 10 years ... !

Lannis

Lannis said:
Will -

I'll take the sensor off tonight and seal it up good all round.

No luck with the tire. 3 motorcycle shops and 2 car tire places have told me to "bugger off - we don't do motorcycle tire repairs." I'm looking to see if I can find a patch kit locally. Then I'm going to remount it and put "Slime" in it like all my other tires have. Only bike I've got without "Slime" in the tires, and the only one I've gotten a flat on in 10 years ... !

Lannis

Lannis, about the only relatively safe method for a tubeless motorcycle tire is the patch/plug combination. http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... ode=PA-007 They should not be used of the patch needs to be near the sidewall. If the damage, hole, or nail is near the sidewall (within one inch), toss the tire. It isn't repairable.

Lannis, with the sensor the BEST fix i know is to use a dielectric varnish. Jon had some of this from his old work that was 'Out of Date' so it couldn't be used in aerospace but worked just dandy for sealing up the speedo sensor. My guess though is that any waterproof varnish of a relatively thick consistency will work fine. Just unscrew the sender from the CARC, dip it in the varnish and leave overnight to dry. Much less messy and troublesome than pissing about with silastic!

Pete

pete roper said:
Lannis, with the sensor the BEST fix i know is to use a dielectric varnish. Jon had some of this from his old work that was 'Out of Date' so it couldn't be used in aerospace but worked just dandy for sealing up the speedo sensor. My guess though is that any waterproof varnish of a relatively thick consistency will work fine. Just unscrew the sender from the CARC, dip it in the varnish and leave overnight to dry. Much less messy and troublesome than pissing about with silastic!

Pete

Wish I'd done that, but I went the "pissing about with silastic" route. I probably couldn't have found any dielectric varnish lying about anyhow - I'd have tried something 'close' and ended up dissolving the sensor or something.

I put the shop on notice that I'd worked on the sensor, but that if it fails again I'm going to want a warranty replacement even if it's past the warranty period, and they're OK.

For the tire, once I pulled the wire out of the middle of the tread, you couldn't even see the hole unless you looked real close. No way was I going to ram a huge reamer into it to prep it for a plug, so I just cemented a plain patch over the inside, with no plug, and it seems to working well. We went on a "brisk" two-up ride Saturday and it hasn't lost any air ....

Lannis

Lannis,

The reason for the patch/plug combination on tubeless tires is to help keep the patch in position. The inside of a tire carcass doesn't hold glue as well as a tube does. Using the patch/plug is more reliable than a plain patch. Luckily if yours fails, it should just be a slow leak again and shouldn't be a catastrophic failiure.

Back