• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Service Stand Question

katoosh

Just got it firing!
Having read the available info on the optios for a lift that will allow wheel removal and suspension work, I see the options as three: 1) mg service lift, 2) Becker-Technik (not in US) and 3) Redline Engineering sport bike lift. Does anyone have specific experience with the Redline offering? It seems more versatile since it comes with other "bobbins"/adapters that can be used on other bikes. Thanks.

http://www.redlinestands.com/catalo...e-motorcycle-center-stand-free-shipping-p-406

You may want to check with Pit Bull in the US also. I know they have been working toward producing a lift system.

...and 3) Redline Engineering sport bike lift. Does anyone have specific experience with the Redline offering? It seems more versatile since it comes with other "bobbins"/adapters that can be used on other bikes. Thanks.

What a ripoff. That's a copy of the Abba stand that's been available in Europe for many years. There's a guy in Canada that sells them on eBay.

What a ripoff. That's a copy of the Abba stand that's been available in Europe for many years. There's a guy in Canada that sells them on eBay.

They all seem way overpriced if you ask me. I'll definitely check this out. Seems like a good project to learn some basic welding on.

Let me know if you find one that will lift a 1400 Califirnia Touring. I see no decent lift point.

Let me know if you find one that will lift a 1400 Califirnia Touring. I see no decent lift point.

I don't think they know what a Moto Guzzi is at Redline Engineering. That's exactly the info I am looking for-specific to a Griso. Hopefully someone will have dropped $300 and has some feedback.

Because it has twin frame rails underneath and no bits protruding, you can use any lift designed to carry the weight. Here's a pix of my 1400 Custom with both wheels in the air.

I borrowed a friends Craftsman motorcycle lift (nothing fancy but free) to try that on my Touring 1400. It looks a lot like the one in your photo. I moved it to the back as far as I could and the rear still wanted to stay down. I tied some tiedowns to the ceiling and it only took a little force to pick it up enough to get the wheel off. Have to do it again soon for another set of tires.

Yes, I find that with the lift as far back as possible, the front wheel rises first, but the rear eventually follows. Not sure I'd be game to remove the rear wheel without those tiedowns, there's a lot of motorcycle to suddenly shift and fall off the platform.

Hard to tell height in your photo but when my front wheel was that high you could see the weight was off the front portion of the jack. I even put tiedowns from the bars to the jack to try and stabilize it loosening them as I jacked up a little bit each time. Maybe the trunk, luggage rack and bags tip the scales just enough.
Fortunately I have a silly amount of tie downs and soft ties.
I'll let you know what happens when I try again shortly.

Here's a pix of my 1400 Custom with the front wheel held in a stand, and tiedowns to ensure the front end stays in place.

Cali 1400 on stand

Rear wheel is some 240mm (over 9") off the ground. The stand still has capability to raise the rear even higher. I'll be using this when I renew my rear tyre soon.

The redline looks like a cheap version of the Heindl pivot stand I have had for 8 years. Cost is around $260 and I have used it on all my bikes that have had hollow swing arm pivot bolts. Heindl Engineering is located in Eaton Ohio. This US company makes a full line of motorcycle stands. www.heindlengineering.com or call John Heindl at 937-787-3686.

I have mine on my lift now. I can only work on one end at a time and I had to verify my vice would open up enough for the rear tire (barely). I used the scissor jack to pick it up then sat it on the blocks. Nice and solid.

IMG 5274

Back