• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

SF Bay area ride to Hollister vintage auto museum

mwest

Tuned and Synch'ed
Early this year, I was flipping channels and as I was passing our local access station I saw some people talking about an old car. I was surprised to hear they were at a car museum in Hollister, which I had never heard of. I started thinking that it would make a fun destination for a group ride and sent out an email to see if there was interest. The responsive was positive so I made some inquiries. I found out that it is a private collection held inside a winery building and only open on the first saturday of every month. I originally wanted to do it in the Spring when the area was green, but some family issues prevented me from planning anything more than a week or two in advance. We finally did it yesterday.

Earlier in the week they were predicting rain for Saturday but as the week went on, the chance of precipitation kept going down and the weather turned out to be great with temps getting up near 80 but cool air made for very good riding weather. The meeting place was the Starbucks in Hollister. Since I knew there were people coming from 100 miles a way, I wasn't expecting to see many people there early. I got there at 15 till and a there was already about 8 people. By 9 there were 15 or so and by the time we left, there was a group of 20 bikes (21 people if I counted correctly) all but 4 of them Guzzis.

We did a ride out to the Panoche Inn, which is about 45 minutes on backroads. We bought cool drinks at the Inn and talked with the owner for about 30-45 minutes before heading back to Hollister. There we picked up lunches to go and ate them on the patio at the winery before touring the museum.

The museum itself was nothing spectacular but they do claim to have the largest private collection of Graham Paige's in the country and so it was an opportunity to see some cars you may not see elsewhere. I didn't know that we would have a guide for the museum and his shtick was a little cheesy. Kinda reminded me of the jungle cruise at Disneyland.

It ended up taking longer to see than I expected so by the time we were done with that it was getting close to 3 PM and most people headed out right away since they had an hour or more ride to get home.

All in all, it went pretty well and thanks to some others (who are better at organizing a group than I am) we stayed close to the planned schedule. I don't have many pictures but hopefully some others that went will add to the thread.

At the Panoche Inn
dscn2417.jpg

dscn2418a.jpg

At the Museum
dscn2419.jpg

dscn2429.jpg

dscn2432.jpg

Mark is being more than a little modest - he put together a really great ride, which David and Bruce and I had the good fortune to get in on. Why was it so good? Coz: 1. great flock of Guzzis 2. a really GREAT flock of people - very laid-back, happy, comfortable, experienced, and fun - no egos, accidents, problems, complaining, etc.... a real joy to spend the day with this group; 3. fun road to Panoche 4. beautiful cars at the museum. Oh, and perfect weather. What more could you ask for??

a few pix:

IMG_7594.jpg

IMG_7600.jpg

IMG_7611.jpg

IMG_7640-1.jpg

IMG_7655.jpg

IMG_7626.jpg

IMG_7639.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7651.jpg

IMG_7652.jpg

IMG_7666.jpg

IMG_7667.jpg

IMG_7668.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

IMG_7687.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

IMG_7706.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7729.jpg

Fantastic, days like that are just the bees knees. Love the "on the move" pics, how do you hold the camera?

Thanks, Mike!!
I have the camera on a lanyard around my neck outside my jacket, and tucked into my half-zipped outer left jacket pocket when not in use. When I see a shot, I unzip the pocket, take the camera out of my pocket with my left hand and snap away. (When I crowed to a friend that i was starting to ride as well one-handed and taking pix as I did 2-handed, of course his obvious response was "no, you ride as crappy 2-handed as you do one-handed taking pix." I could only say "touche".)
A couple things learned: try not to snap a pic right when you hit a bump
sometimes aim high -kinda like firing a gun?? - coz snapping the pic might cause you to lower the camera
slightly
try not to bang the camera on the gas tank, if you have to drop it suddenly
take a lot of pix to get a few acceptable ones
I'm not a great rider or photographer, so if I can manage a few OK shots, anyone can!!!
Someday, would like to do a whole series of rearview mirror shots - their own little specialty......

mountainhouse092.jpg

probably more than you wanted to know!!!

Back