• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Shaft drive leaking oil onto rear tire

It’s obviously that an oil seal sprung a leak.

They will open it up, reseal it and she will be good as new again.

Annoying? Yes indeed.

Critical failure? Not even.

I wouldn’t spend another moment worrying over it.
This is the part that concerns me on V85. Is the V100 the same in that MG have a "pressure vessel" with a fixed amount of air sealed. So if temp changes quickly (though feezing water crekk etc). +- 20ml on oil level seems the diff / rear is more like a 'shock' than a 'diff'.
Soln is a hole, tapped, and I'm thinking banjo bolt and steel brake line up under set with a filter/valve, incase creek is deep & water gets over boot tops. Would this work on V85 & maybe soln for a 'sealed' V100 also?

It’s obviously that an oil seal sprung a leak.

They will open it up, reseal it and she will be good as new again.

Annoying? Yes indeed.

Critical failure? Not even.

I wouldn’t spend another moment worrying over it.
Thanks for your reply. 100% correct. Just had a call from the dealer. They believe replacing the seal will fix the issue. Should be able to pick up the bike tomorrow. Just bad luck.

Have you verified that the oil isn't coming from the weep hose on the water pump housing? My shaft looked exactly the same with oil coating the underside around the drain plug and the wheel and tire and I was convinced it was a leaky shaft drive until the shop realized the oil was spraying out of that hose (which routes downward and would result in coating the underside of the shaft).

Have you verified that the oil isn't coming from the weep hose on the water pump housing? My shaft looked exactly the same with oil coating the underside around the drain plug and the wheel and tire and I was convinced it was a leaky shaft drive until the shop realized the oil was spraying out of that hose (which routes downward and would result in coating the underside of the shaft).
Hi falkdal. Firstly sorry to hear about your V 100 experience. Obviously dissapointing. It appears my problem is a leaking shaft. After reading your posts checked to see if there was any signs of oil near or from the drain hose and all looked clean. Also the shaft oil apparently has a very distinctive smell, different from engine oil. Am picking the bike up latter today and should be able to find out if the seal was faulty or not seated properly during assembly. Hope you are enjoying riding whatever your replacement may be.

How’s your bike doing now? 🧐

Everything right as rain again?

Hopefully…and as the legendary Burt Monro used to say… “and Bob’s your uncle!”

😄

How’s your bike doing now? 🧐

Everything right as rain again?

Hopefully…and as the legendary Burt Monro used to say… “and Bob’s your uncle!”

😄
Thanks for asking. So far have only ridden home from the dealer, about 80km, but looks good so far. Turns out the oil was leaking from the ABS sensor. When it was removed found the seal pinched and not sealing properly. Looking at the bike the sensor sits near the top of the shaft above the fill point. So my guess, and i am only guessing, is that during easy riding the oil level is below the sensor. Only during harder riding and increased lean angles was the oil able to leak from the shaft. Hopefully all will be well from here on, and i am certainly not going to disagree with Burt

Back