• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Shift Peddal Play

trialsn

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
So it appears I've become a regular on this forum over the past week. Last week I encountered a string of bad luck with some things vibrating loose (lesson learned). Regardless, I really apreciate all the advice given to me so far!

So with my OCD kicking strong, I've noticed that my shifter pedal has some serious play versus when I originally picked purchased the bike. From a close inspection, it almost looks like a gasket or a nylon washer of some sort would resolve the issue. Now before anyone asks, I double checked all bolts associated with the shift mechanism and they're all tight. Based on my search on the forum, I've noticed similar posts with the only solution being to bend the shift pedal out more, avoiding the exhaust pipe. Just wondering if anyone has come up with an alternate solution.

I've attached pictures for reference.

Image Image Image Image

Cheers all,

Chris

The other end of that shaft has an arm clamped to it. You may be able to loosen the clamp and push the shaft towards the center of the bike. If it looks like that will work, take the shift lever off and figure out how to get the proper spacing on both sides so that your lever is tight again.

Copied the shift mechanism from the parts manual. Which item are you specifically referring to? Number 8?

Upload 2015 10 19 21 30 15

Cheers,

Chris

No, number 4. It attaches to the same shaft the shift lever does. Loosen number 6 and see if you can push the shaft farther through number 4.

BTW, if happen to take the thing apart, put some grease in there.

So I would loosen up the allen bolt (#6), and the main allen bolt that on the outside face of the shift lever (not pictured in the above exploded detail). This would allow me to remove the shift lever and adjust it as needed? Does that sound correct?

Also, would it be recommended to add nylon/metal washers to eliminate any slop?

Just ran down to the parking garage to try what you suggested. Worked like a charm. Minimal play now.

Cheers and thanks!

Chris

The clamp was tight when I made the adjustment. I suspect that the lever shifted slightly due to the oil bath it received on Sunday when my oil cap vibrated loose, spilling half a litre of oil (mostly on my pants and boots).

I just bent the arm out. case solved. I periodically grease all of that linkage, IT'S HARD TO GET MY FINGER IN THERE AND GET THE GREASE INTO THE RIGHT SPOTS. Any good tricks to this?

Tried that 6 and 4 trick and that worked freakin great. YIKES.

I just bent the arm out. case solved. I periodically grease all of that linkage, IT'S HARD TO GET MY FINGER IN THERE AND GET THE GREASE INTO THE RIGHT SPOTS. Any good tricks to this?

How did you manage to bend this piece? I've used all the available tools in my garage aside from running over it with my car and cannot get the shift lever to bend. My issue is slightly different as I'm looking to gain clearance so it doesn't touch my exhaust. Ideally, looking for a way to move the lever further away from the bike. I only need about 1/2 an inch.

Edit: Looks like I may have a different gear shift lever than others as it doesn't match the parts manual resources here on guzzitech. My shift lever appears to be a cast piece about 1/4-inch thick.

-Chris

Last edited:
Remove it from the bike and then stick it in a vice and heat it up and then just give it a good yank, it will bend outward without cracking. Remember to use gloves, Don't even ask.

One othr way to change that clearance is to loosen everything up including the header bolts into the head and you can rotate that entire exhaust system from left to right or vice versa and gain the clearance that you need for that shifter.

I didn't find out about that little trick until after I end up bending that shifter arm. You can shift that entire header system back and forth to clear the side stand bolt and or that shifter arm. You must however loosen up the hardware on the crossover pipe and also loosen up those header bolts from the exhaust header connections into the head. Then as I say adjust for both the side stand clearance and shifter arm clearances.

Last edited:
Remove it from the bike and then stick it in a vice and heat it up and then just give it a good yank, it will bend outward without cracking. Remember to use gloves, Don't even ask.

One othr way to change that clearance is to loosen everything up including the header bolts into the head and you can rotate that entire exhaust system from left to right or vice versa and gain the clearance that you need for that shifter.

I didn't find out about that little trick until after I end up bending that shifter arm. You can shift that entire header system back and forth to clear the side stand bolt and or that shifter arm. You must however loosen up the hardware on the crossover pipe and also loosen up those header bolts from the exhaust header connections into the head. Then as I say adjust for both the side stand clearance and shifter arm clearances.

These bikes are well-enough designed that you shouldn't need to bend anything to make it fit. On the other hand, you may need to unbend something that got bent by accident, like a dropped bike, for example. Like elk, I adjusted the clearances on my V7 Stone by loosening up everything in the exhaust system including the header bolts, pushing things into the correct position, and then tightening everything up, using official torque specs. No more clearance problems.

The clamp was tight when I made the adjustment. I suspect that the lever shifted slightly due to the oil bath it received on Sunday when my oil cap vibrated loose, spilling half a litre of oil (mostly on my pants and boots).

That happened to me last week! The o-ring blew out. Now I check it regularly before, during, and after riding. I never want that to happen again. I got oil all over the left side and all over my back tire. I'm very fortunate to have not gone down while doing 90mph+ on the freeway.

I've honestly gotten into the habit of checking once or twice per ride when I hit a stop light. Thankfully it hasn't budged...then again, it is on there rather tight (vice grips).

I only want to experience that once in my life...and it was on the highway in Toronto; notorious for bad traffic and road conditions.

-Chris

Back