• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Shifty Shifter

roadventure

GT Reference
Before anyone tells me how ignorant I am about Moto Guzzi, let me say it.........

I am ignorant about all things Moto Guzzi.

There. Now that is done with, I am getting to know my California which just showed up at my house yesterday.
  • I have read through most of the owner's manual while sitting on the bike.
  • I have turned it on and run through most of the electronic "doo-dads".
  • I have NOT been able to switch between the three power modes (Performance, Touring, Rain in my American interpretation)
As you might guess I am coming up with some questions.
  1. When I shift from Neutral into first gear there is no "clunk". I am used to Japanese bikes which mostly all have a definite "clunk" when shifting from neutral to first gear. Is no "clunk" normal for the California transmission?
I am sure I will have more questions so thanks in advance for your patience. :eek:

Sometimes "clunk", sometimes "schnick" and sometimes like a hot knife thru butter.
I think Bella can sometimes reflect her owner/operator, from cool to cantankerous son of a bitch.

Some days are diamond, some days are stone. She speaks to you, No?

Mine shifts exactly the same Sometomes clunk, somstimes no clunk For the power modes with the motor running press the start button it will change the mode. Enjoy the bike I love mine

B
  • I have NOT been able to switch between the three power modes (Performance, Touring, Rain in my American interpretation)
It is not intuitive until you read the manual properly. The motor has to be running, and you then press the starter button (normally a no-no with other models). Keep pressing until you select what you want.

It is not intuitive until you read the manual properly. The motor has to be running, and you then press the starter button (normally a no-no with other models). Keep pressing until you select what you want.

Okay, I will give that a try. I did read this in the manual, but pressing the starter button WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING is not something I wanted to risk without checking it out with you all first.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Sometimes "clunk", sometimes "schnick" and sometimes like a hot knife thru butter.
I think Bella can sometimes reflect her owner/operator, from cool to cantankerous son of a bitch.

Some days are diamond, some days are stone. She speaks to you, No?

NO! LOL........ :sweating:

But, in time, perhaps. It is getting cold here and I don't have a tag yet to get it out on the road. So, I am sitting in the garage playing with the buttons and reading the manual. I think I am going to give the Italian section of the manual a try. ;)

Here is my take on the missing "clunk". When the engine is running in neutral and the clutch is engaged, there is a mass in the transmission spinning with the engine. When you disengage the clutch to click into gear, the spinning mass will slow down and stop. How long it takes to stop depends on how cold the engine is, or more accurately how viscous the transmission oil is.

So when I ride, in the first few minutes I can click into first gear with a snick without waiting more than a second or two. If I take too long after disengaging the clutch then the transmission will come to a stop and it wont go into gear at all and I have to spin up the transmission again to get it to go in. After the bike has warmed up, I usually count to 3 or 4 before clicking into gear so that I avoid the inevitable clunk when the rotating mass comes to a quick stop.

Now I don't know what the parts are in the transmission that slow down and stop. Probably back half of the clutch and input shaft. Perhaps someone that knows can weigh in :) with a better explanation.

When I first rode the dealer's demo, the shift was so smooth that I wasn't sure I had shifted. Mine is not that good, but still effortless. Better than my Griso (which was way better than any other Guzzi I have owned). In fact, I would rate easy of shifting and lack of vibration as the two biggest improvements MG made when they designed the 1400. That said, differences between my bike and the dealer demo may indicate differences in the production process.

Here is a real basic question....

Is the clutch assembly on Moto Guzzi motorcycles dry, or does it run in an oil bath?
Dry, like all Moto Guzzis before it. However, the 1400 has a single plate dry clutch whereas prior Guzzis had two plate clutches. In practice, the most notable improvement of the 1400 clutch is that it does not make that traditional-but-annoying rattle when disengaged.

It seems to me your major concern is changing in and out of gear while stationary in your garage. I assume this is not what you bought the bike for, therefore when tagged and ridden these concerns will dissipate, however, we await you next barrage of questions. ;)

It seems to me your major concern is changing in and out of gear while stationary in your garage. I assume this is not what you bought the bike for, therefore when tagged and ridden these concerns will dissipate, however, we await you next barrage of questions. ;)

Ha ha! Yes, it is true. As I have not yet been able to actually RIDE, therefore my only concerns are the stationary kind. But, you are correct, my primary reason for buying IS to ride! My schedule and weather are not cooperating at the moment. Mid-week may be drier so I can ride over to get my state safety inspection. Then I can go pay the ridiculous sale taxes and registration fees to the state. Better days are coming!

Okay, I actually went out for a first ride. The California is a pretty darn nice bike. I think I am going to enjoy it as much as the rest of you. Regarding the shifter, after riding it feels similar to most of my other bikes have. I need to get used to the friction zone on the clutch though. It doesn't seem to engage until the lever is almost completely released. I know it is hydraulic, but is there any room for adjusting the engagement point?

Back