• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Shopping for Griso, two questions

kanaric

Just got it firing!
I did a lot of research and decided that I want to buy a Griso. I pretty much have answered all my questions but two that I want to know before talking to a dealer.

How much can you talk them down on the price? Like what are they typically selling for or are the dealers firm on these bikes?

My other question is more general. I have no experience with warranty work other than through Nissan which is all over. If I buy in California will I have problems if I live in Vegas? There is a dealer here that sells Moto Guzzis but no Guzzi specific dealer. I guess my question is how does warranty's work typically for this company? Is it worth buying an extended warranty as well at purchase or buy one later?

Only ever bought a motorcycle used in a private sale, lol. Don't know if buying a motorcycle works similar to buying a car as far as dealerships work.

edit: the reason why i'm buying out of state despite the fact there is a dealership here in Vegas is that I want the Tenni Green color and there are none available here.

First off, good luck with your purchase, the GRiSO is a unique bike and well liked by it's owners.

In my opinion, there's really not a lot of wiggle room on the dealer's end with respect to MSRP on a new Moto Guzzi. No dealer is getting rich selling these bikes. Your best chance on saving some money is to either buy low-mileage used, or wait for an opportunity to buy an NOS bike that has been bought back by MGUSA and then redirected to a dealership that can more readily move product. You might be able to find a NOS GRiSO 8V via the second route, but probably not a Tenni SE from a shear numbers and desirability standpoint.

If you want to haggle from MSRP on a Tenni GRiSO SE, then I think your best bet would be the used market.

As an FYI, Moto International here in Seattle had a low mileage, used Tenni on the floor when I was last in there a week or so ago. Here are/were the particulars: ‘Used’ 2012 green for $11995 bought in April with 1200 miles. Warranty would be good through 4/2014.

Give Dave a call if interested, but I don't know if it is still there. He might wheel and deal a bit on a used one.

Moto International website and contact info

kanaric said:
I did a lot of research and decided that I want to buy a Griso. I pretty much have answered all my questions but two that I want to know before talking to a dealer.

How much can you talk them down on the price? Like what are they typically selling for or are the dealers firm on these bikes?

My other question is more general. I have no experience with warranty work other than through Nissan which is all over. If I buy in California will I have problems if I live in Vegas? There is a dealer here that sells Moto Guzzis but no Guzzi specific dealer. I guess my question is how does warranty's work typically for this company? Is it worth buying an extended warranty as well at purchase or buy one later?

Only ever bought a motorcycle used in a private sale, lol. Don't know if buying a motorcycle works similar to buying a car as far as dealerships work.

edit: the reason why i'm buying out of state despite the fact there is a dealership here in Vegas is that I want the Tenni Green color and there are none available here.

Math isn't my strength, but I counted five, not two, questions there. OTOH, you live in Las Vegas, where numbers are a bit different anyway. :p

To extent I have knowledge, here is my view:

1. How much can you talk them down on the price?

I have bought four new Guzzis. New to that world, I tried (and abysmally failed) to reduce the price of my first Guzzi (which I still have). I have been very successful in doing that in car deals, and even -- I am a bit worried about this -- enjoy the haggling. After that, I worked with three different great dealers and paid what they asked, period. I do not regret that at all. Being a Guzzi dealer is not the easiest work out there, and I believe that part of the "dues" for membership in this slightly nuts fraternity is paying MSRP. No doubt others think that is stupid. Guilty, Your Honor.

2. Like what are they typically selling for or are the dealers firm on these bikes?

See 1.

3. If I buy in California will I have problems if I live in Vegas?

Out of my competence, but it has been my observation that dealers might prefer you bought from them, I have heard of but not personally encountered that "you didn't buy it here" syndrome. OTOH, I have seen several "non-dealer" purchases being serviced at local dealers. That said, Guzzi corporate owners have not earned kudos for prompt and easy payment of warranty work. I get the impression that Piaggio is better, but is still slow and difficult. That would understandably reduce a dealer's enthusiasm for warranty work on a Guzzi bought elsewhere, tho routine maintenance, paid for by owner, should not affect things.

4. I guess my question is how does warranty's work typically for this company?

See 3.

Some seem to have much better relationships with Piaggio than others. I am thinking, in alpha order, of M-I in Seattl, MPH in Texas, Riders Hill in Georgia, and Rose Farm Classics in (suburban) Chicago. There are, I am sure, others.

5. Is it worth buying an extended warranty as well at purchase or buy one later?

That's always an "it depends" answer. Cost v. lots of factors. Most Guzzis that are ridden, not parked, are well-sorted by time warranty expires. In my own case, however, I had one serious (as in $4K) part go south after the normal warranty period. Piaggio covered that, but it took some talking.

I like (nearly) all motorcycles, but am plain stupid about Guzzis. My Griso makes me grin when I look at it ... and scream in my helmet when I ride it.

Best wishes whatever you decide to do.

Bill

I'll add a little about an extended warranty I bought for another bike, not my Guzzi. I bought a warranty from Zurich North America. The advantages are that they will pay ANY licensed vehicle repair facility to fix your bike -- not just the authorized dealers -- in US and Canada. Of course, I haven't had to use it. I don't think I'd purchase another extended warranty again, though. My '07 Griso has been great, no problems in 12K miles.

I paid retail for my Griso, for two reasons. First was it was the first Griso sold in Md, and second, a good dealer is a better choice to buy from then a cheaper dealer.
Buying local is always nice, but getting your Guzzi properly set up from new is better.
One nice option is buying from a dealer that while far away from you knows what they are doing. Then riding the bike back is the bonus, as long as you can make it a worthwhile trip.

If you want the Tenni SE in green there is a good chance you are going to have to buy used as that color is no longer made and hace been replaced by black.

As far as negoiating a deal you don't get what you don't ask for,

Good luck and let us know how you end up.

When I went looking for a Griso I only wanted the green. I found the green was no longer available so I went to look at the black...I bought it on the spot for $1000.00 off list and couldnt be happier.. I get constant comments about what a beautiful bike it is..While I still like the green, its really hard to beat a black bike...Bottom line, this bike rocks in any color...

Back