• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Shoud I be pissed at the dealer?

johnno asked:

this cant be true ? can it ?

I have an apology to make. I did make a mistake on the mileage I previously reported for my Metzeler Marathons, so here are the exact numbers.

16,632 miles two sets ago
14,219 miles one set ago
9670 miles on the current set (mounted in Alaska)

I thought my tires only had 8000 miles on them, but they have nearly nearly 1700 miles more than that. I added that mileage to my 14K plus set, from memory, and miscalculated the total. I went back and checked my records which are kept for everything from oil changes to spark plugs, etc.

I changed tires in Alaska prior to riding the 415 mile Dalton Hwy. which is mostly gravel and dirt. I could have gone further on the 14K set, but was concerned about "off road" traction. The new tires got many small cuts from the sharp gravel, but I rode all the way home on them, and with nearly 10K, they look pretty good. I'm sure they won't get as many miles as the first set since I intend to change them before my next long ride this summer. The roads in Alaska look like rasps with large gravel protruding up through the tar. While riding up there all I could think about was how abrasive that surface was on my tires and how much of my ass would be left in the road if I fell off. The current set of tires endured those conditions and got me home safely with good tread left.

I am very impressed with the Marathons. They handle well, ride well and last forever, especially the fronts. I have never worn out a front Marathon, just simply change them with the rear ones each time.

As some of you have mentioned, tire life is contingent upon riding style, road surface, type of bike, etc. I ride with Harley owners who seem to be determined to roar away from every stop like it's a drag race. They get no more than 4 or 5,000 miles on their tires. They also slow down just as quickly. I use engine compression to slow me until the last few feet, and I don't take off like a rabbit (except when the Harley guys piss me off and try to outrun me). My EV has 110,000 and I intend to ride on for several years so I try not to flog it, but sometimes I can't stand it and it gets pushed to the limit. Most of my riding, unfortunately, is on the interstate at around 75-80 mph, so the bottom of my tire wears off square before the sides even look used.

The first set of Metzeler Marathons I owned got about 23,000 miles. I distinctly remember that since I thought it was phenomenal. These tires were on the bike when I bought it and the PO said he had gotten about 20,000 on the set before those. I never got over about 5000 or 5500 miles on my rear dual sport tires on my KLR, but, apparently, even that is good compared to what some of you are reporting.

Altogether, I am pleased with every aspect of the Marathon's performance, and I see no reason to change brands, that is, unless I am forced to ride with Pete or Jon.:blush:

never heard of Met Marathons tyres but im going to check them out for the bike i use for getting to and from work.

Only thing I would add is you might consider replacing the front with a matching Avon. Personally I prefer matching sets, and at the very least front and back of the same brand.
And I'm one of those that got about 7k miles on my Rennsports, including everything from parking lot racing to touring down the Blue Ridge Parkway (which was where I was when the sides of the rear wore out). Had to replace them at a dealer in Knoxville. All he had was Z6's. Good tire for the Griso but noisy. And the dealer raped me for them. I do agree that sport touring tires suit the Griso well. The sportbike tires are made for a lighter bike in my opinion. But there is the opposite effect with my supermoto, people go putting sportbike tires on them all the time and to me they are made for a heavier bike compared to my SM.

I run Avon Distanzias on my SM great tyre for twisty rds and mild off roading GuzziMoto wrote:
Only thing I would add is you might consider replacing the front with a matching Avon. Personally I prefer matching sets, and at the very least front and back of the same brand.
And I'm one of those that got about 7k miles on my Rennsports, including everything from parking lot racing to touring down the Blue Ridge Parkway (which was where I was when the sides of the rear wore out). Had to replace them at a dealer in Knoxville. All he had was Z6's. Good tire for the Griso but noisy. And the dealer raped me for them. I do agree that sport touring tires suit the Griso well. The sportbike tires are made for a lighter bike in my opinion. But there is the opposite effect with my supermoto, people go putting sportbike tires on them all the time and to me they are made for a heavier bike compared to my SM.

Hadn't noticed this thread before...

I changed my set of Metzeler Z6s (stock tyres on the Norge) at a bit over 22000 km (13750 miles). I'd have thought I could do a couple thousand more, even though the rear was going square but then noticed that both tyres had developped a sort of ridge along the centre. Which I discovered because the bike would pull to left or right. Still not sure how this deformation could have come about (I inflate to 2.6 front and 2.9-3.0 rear to be sure I am not under the suggested 2.5/2.8 after unhooking the pump).

I've seen other cases of very long lifetimes on those same tyres (on the tyre maxitests on motostation.com), but I'm sure it's mostly down to a riding style like Muley describes above.

Anyway, a word about Avons: on the previous board (waiting to be merged with this one?), MMNorth talked about the XTreme Rain model, supposedly great on Alaska's "greasy dirt roads".

ive also been told about Xtreme rain model ,so many choices now adaysRJVB wrote:
Hadn't noticed this thread before...

I changed my set of Metzeler Z6s (stock tyres on the Norge) at a bit over 22000 km (13750 miles). I'd have thought I could do a couple thousand more, even though the rear was going square but then noticed that both tyres had developped a sort of ridge along the centre. Which I discovered because the bike would pull to left or right. Still not sure how this deformation could have come about (I inflate to 2.6 front and 2.9-3.0 rear to be sure I am not under the suggested 2.5/2.8 after unhooking the pump).

I've seen other cases of very long lifetimes on those same tyres (on the tyre maxitests on motostation.com), but I'm sure it's mostly down to a riding style like Muley describes above.

Anyway, a word about Avons: on the previous board (waiting to be merged with this one?), MMNorth talked about the XTreme Rain model, supposedly great on Alaska's "greasy dirt roads".

Back