• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Side cover support when stock air box is removed

Rafael

GT Reference
Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket support bracket available for the V11s side covers to take the place of a removed stock air box?

thanks.

I have not seen a commercially available one. Some people make them themselves, but most do not use the airbox covers once they take the air box off. Part of the motivation for doing that, and putting up with the decrease in performance that it brings, is the open look that results. Putting the covers back would defeat that.
As a side note, Sport Cycle Pacific makes a nice set of velocity stacks for removing the airbox. They may also be of some help in regards to the brackets you seek.

Thanks for the lead on the velocity stack. I thought most of the performance gains would come from the removal of the filter box eliminating all the twists and turns the air has to make and the change in filter material.

I suppose the stock filter box can be used as a form to make a bracket.

Any idea where there the air temp sensor is relocated to?

If the source of vacuum for the charcoal cans coming from the air box, then the charcoal cans would stop working... (?)

Rafael said:
Thanks for the lead on the velocity stack. I thought most of the performance gains would come from the removal of the filter box eliminating all the twists and turns the air has to make and the change in filter material.

I suppose the stock filter box can be used as a form to make a bracket.

Any idea where there the air temp sensor is relocated to?

If the source of vacuum for the charcoal cans coming from the air box, then the charcoal cans would stop working... (?)
This is no real performance gain for removing the air box. You might gain a little power at one specific rpm but the loss at all the other rpms will likely more than offset it.
The V11 air box is not that bad. The early Daytona air box was worse.
I would locate the air temp sensor as far from engine heat as possible.
The charcoal cans, if you still have them, typically rely on pressure from the gas tank and vacuum from the intake ports. But the system on the wifes V11 has been gone so long I can't remember how it was laid out. But my Griso definitely was set up that way.

Thanks GM, I agree about the performance. Now that the bike is tuned it has plenty. I don't think there a need to do every possible mod on a bike that doesn't get track time. One exception is a power commander. The bike already has mistral mufflers.

It turned out that the hoses on the manifold were already disconnected, I thought that maybe the vacuum came from the air box since I didn't see a connection to the manifolds. Charcoal cans and hoses come out today!

The wifes V11 has a PC3 and the stock airbox modded for more flow in to the box with a K & N, my Griso has a PCV with the stock airbox with a lid kit from Todd, and my Daytona has a chip and the aluminum velocity stacks like Sport Cycle Pacific sells. The Daytona had the chip and stacks done by the previous owner (a friend) so I am not sure exactly what/where on the mods.
I am all for more power, but typically most gains with a Power Comander come from better response. They help you optimize what you have. To really make more power you need to increase the air and fuel going in to the motor. PCs allow you to fine tune the fueling for the amount of air you have going in. Stock they tend to be lean in the low to mid range and rich on top.
That said, I do love the way V11s look with no airbox and I understand removing it. I just don't want to mess up the way the wifes V11 runs. She'd get mad.

About Sport Cycle Pacific, they also are into some cool bikes like a Aprilia RS 250 / RZ 500 two stroke hybrid.
I love that kind of stuff.

Rafael,
On my 02 V11 Lemans, I drilled out the airbox, but left the snorkels on it, added mistral pi;es, and FBF X-over and a PCIII. Stock it dynoed at 77 bhp, after a dynolink tune and custom map, it made nearly 85, and ran much smoother and much cooler. It also got better mileage. Louie had to pull lots of fuel out at many places and add much at others, the net was the perfect running guzzi.
Jon

Back