• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Side Stand

DanPez

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Most probably this has been done I figure I post some pics anyway if anyone had this happen to them ……

I came close to dropping the bike a couple of times this summer so I decided to do a little mod on the side stand.
So I have a habit to warm up the bike before I ride. (It’s a cold weather thing) Yah even if its summer. :roll:

Starting the bike on the center stand is not a problem. You hop on your steed , rock-it down on it’s wheels and there you go but when it’s on the kickstand the engine’s vibration moved the bike slightly back and forth.
That‘ll teach me to look at the slope of the road. :blush:

Well you can guess whats next …. the bike moving forward easily folded the stand.

Before the side stand was perpendicular to the bike now I got it to slight forward angle as on this pic.

I grounded off about 50mm from the bracket.
I used a Rotozip (Heavy duty Dremel) with a grinding bit.

Cheers

Attachments

• Side Stand.jpg
    Side Stand.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 807
  • Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 805
In the owners handbook for my old Le Mans V it actually said not to use the sidestand with the engine running for exactly that reason! The hilarious translation from Italian into English wasn't too precise.....it just said not to use the sidestand but only vaguely implied why.

I hope your mod works OK but I'd keep an eye on it just in case you've ground off so much that it won't take the weight of the bike. I doubt it would suddenly snap but over time it might distort, which hopefully you'd notice as the bike would gradually lean over more & more.

Will said:
as the bike would gradually lean over more & more.
I've got this problem with my bike, i think the plate the side stand is attached to is bent, has anyone else had a problem like this?

The only problem I have is that there isn't much of a lean angle on the sidestand, and the bike is left pretty much vertical.
Something to have a fiddle with when I get time!

I always use the main stand because as you say the side stand leaves the bike fairly upright and it does not look particularly safe.

Good point Will!
Checked the Canadian handbook theres no flag about running the engine with the sidestand down.
They do mention that the stand should operate freely .... if not grease it!

They do got a picture of the sidestand ......the angle looks about right! :lol:

Attachments

• Manual.jpg
    Manual.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 727
DanPez said:
Good point Will!
Checked the Canadian handbook theres no flag about running the engine with the sidestand down.
They do mention that the stand should operate freely .... if not grease it!

They do got a picture of the sidestand ......the angle looks about right! :lol:

Hi, will shed some light on this, the side stand and suspension height is dependent on which market the bike was produced for. Guzzi sometimes mixed up the parts!

The mounting plate is what differs so if you have the incorrect plate for your model the bike will either be too vertical or leaning way too far.

Crazy Lee on this forum just had his replaced under warranty because his bike was leaning way too far from new. It had the incorrect plate fitted at the factory. I think the plate was for the US market rather then the UK.

I had not noticed this issue with my Stelvio. I took this pic the day I picked my bike up from the dealer (November 11, 2009.) This is how far it leans on the sidestand. It looks about right to me. What do you think? :?:

Bruce

Attachments

• DSCF2143.JPG
    DSCF2143.JPG
    584.5 KB · Views: 711
Shrike said:
That looks about the same as mine.

Cool. Thanks. I normally start mine while it is on the side stand, and it has never seemed unstable at all.

Bruce

SUPERMOTO said:
Hi, will shed some light on this, the side stand and suspension height is dependent on which market the bike was produced for. Guzzi sometimes mixed up the parts!
I think the plate was for the US market rather then the UK.

I would have thought the Stelvio had standard parts ..... world wide.
Just for additional information my bike is a 2009 model.

BravoBravo said:
Shrike said:
That looks about the same as mine.
Cool. Thanks. I normally start mine while it is on the side stand, and it has never seemed unstable at all.
Bruce

Bruce as per your pic the leaning is similar to mine also .....
In my case it was more the side stand angle when it was open fully. The forward movement would close the stand easily.

Cheers

Mine is so vertical, that I have to use care when I stop for fuel because it is not leaning onto the sidestand far enough. I may do bit of grinding on mine.

Now.....Why do people warm up a bike anyway. I always just get on it and ride. Been doing that to Guzzis for about 300,000 miles now and they don't mind. :?:

I have an 09 and the damn thing leans like my old HD Ultra.

I'm looking for a bigger foot print for the side stand foot/pad.

We have had lots of rain in the past few weeks, the ground is pretty soft and my side stand sinks terribly.

Any of the farkle manufactures make a bigger aftermarket foot?

Wayne Orwig said:
Now.....Why do people warm up a bike anyway. I always just get on it and ride. Been doing that to Guzzis for about 300,000 miles now and they don't mind. :?:

I had to really think about this before answering ……

When you mentioned it I was trying to go through my actions when I have the engine running ……

I get it started, walk around the bike to see if anything leaks, listen to the engine (abnormal) running and look if I forgot anything like wheel lock, closed the top case, or left anything lying around. This may take oh ….. 1 min or 2 max?
You can call this a habit, phobia, or an uneven parity bit? :S

Dan, why is it vibrating so violently at idle that it would try to fold up the stand? Even with the balance set very badly by the pinhead who did the first service on mine it has never vibrated enough to move it on the stand and after I balanced the throttle bodies myself no way. Kurt, Stucchi are making a bolt on foot for the sidestand to increase the footprint.
FBC

FrostBittenCanadian said:
Dan, why is it vibrating so violently at idle that it would try to fold up the stand?
FBC, I wouldn't use the word "violently" to describe the vibration of the bike.
I'm visualizing the bike "S,h,a,k,i,n,g" from side to side, back and forth when you use this word. :lol:
It vibrates.... normally I guess.
The only Stelvio (engine) I can compare it with would be "coldcanuck" and more or less I would say it vibrates like his.
As far as the TB's there OK ....

But having had the stand almost 90º to the bike .....this would account for the side stand folding.

kwn306 said:
We have had lots of rain in the past few weeks, the ground is pretty soft and my side stand sinks terribly.
I use a metal checkered plate that I carry around. (Mainly for asphalt) Just a thought.

hmm I've never had mine do that. Only seen one or two run and nothing that would shake 'em off the stand.
fbc

:D Mine leans about the same, have never had a problem idling on kickstand :D

kwn306 said:
I have an 09 and the damn thing leans like my old HD Ultra.

Yes, Stucchi Luigi makes a plate that fastens onto the sidestand foot. MG Cycle sells them, I believe.

Bruce

Back