• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Silicone Valve Cover Gasket

frizzit

Just got it firing!
Does anyone have any experience with these:

http://www.realgaskets.com/files/motorcycle.htm

I know the paper ones are "reusable" but considering the 6000 mile valve adjustments these might be a good idea. You can buy 16 gaskets for the price of this set which would get you about 48000 miles. These are stated to last the life of the engine.

TIA

Others have found them good - I did not. 1100 green rocker cover gaskets I use, these are now on their 4th re-use - just sayin'

Thanks for the input. I just purchased my 06 Breva up last June barely broken in with 3000 miles. I've been trying to learn as much as I can in regards to best practices and tasteful modifications. The silicone gaskets kind of makes sense, but if the $1.35 gaskets perform well I will leave well enough alone. I am going to have Rose Farm Classics do the first 6000 mile maintenance to ensure everything is working properly. I am thinking about taking over the maintenance, knowledge of the bike will help if I decide to take a long trip. I've been nose deep into my Seca II for over 12 years changing this, replacing that, and otherwise taking care of it. This fuel injected twin is a whole different animal.

Others have found them good - I did not. 1100 green rocker cover gaskets I use, these are now on their 4th re-use - just sayin'

I purchased a pair of spec gaskets from AF1 and received the blacks. I installed them with the proper torque and had a "dribble" failure after 1500 miles.

I purchased the silicone's but the bolt hole pattern is not quite the same as the blacks so now I'm not even sure about using them.

I was able to salvage a "Greenie" from my valve adjustment but I didn't want to reuse the gasket. It's a Boy Scout thing.

Which year 1100 are the "Greenies" from please? so I can order up a set of better gaskets - again the Boy Scout.

As commented on above, I tried them... once. Back to OEM paper gaskets ever since.

all the 1100 engines had the same rocker cover gaskets I believe

Have them on my bike now. Like them so far, no leaks. I have had my Cal Vin 3 years and do a 2 week ride every year. On the ride 2 years ago, both sides were seeping midway on the ride. These were installed by my dealer. Last year the right side totally failed and I was lucky I didn't go down, oil all over my leg and back tire. I had installed these, could have screwed up myself. Towed to Dealer who installed stock set with no problems. Before this trip installed the silicone gaskets and after a 3000 mi. trip no problems and peace of mind.

problem is the silicone gaskets need to be squeaky clean as do the mating surfaces which is downright near to impossible unless you pull your heads off and disassemble - if not slips on substance and moves out of the pressure zone and leaks - good idea in principal though

I wonder if there is enough meat to mill a groove in the rocker cover to take say a 2 to 3 mm section O ring ?
If anyone has a cover off how wide is the gasket face ?
Roughly the groove would have to be about 0.5 mm wider and 0.5 mm shallower then the O ring selected so what is left maybe getting to thin once the groove is milled.

I wonder if there is enough meat to mill a groove in the rocker cover to take say a 2 to 3 mm section O ring ?
If anyone has a cover off how wide is the gasket face ?
Roughly the groove would have to be about 0.5 mm wider and 0.5 mm shallower then the O ring selected so what is left maybe getting to thin once the groove is milled.

Forget the o-ring. They are real pain. Using a gasket is much simpler.

Wipe the real gasket and mating surfaces with thinners and put a drop of loctite on each screw as they are only torqued a few pound and can come loose with vibration. I have found they work great in about 50,000 klms of riding.

So the reviews are varied, thank you all for the input. I'll stick to the standard ones for now. I guess the other question is how necessary are the 6000 mile adjustments? I know the first 6000 miles is absolutely necessary, though they probably should have been adjusted after I purchased it last year. The previous owner purchased the 06 in 2010 and put 3k on in 4 years. I know he did his oil changes, but he didn't do much else to it. I'm just concerned pushing it out 500-1000 miles to get it to the end of the year is like 8-17% of the total duration, where pushing out my 15.8k adjustment 500-1000 is 3-6% of the total duration.

On a side note I took my '92 Seca II out for a ride today after riding the Breva for 70ish miles. I don't know why I kept it for 13 years.

The valves clearance should be checked every 6K miles. Some or none may need adjustment. It is just good practice to go over them at each oil and filter change. Changes in clearance will give you an indication of valve train condition. Small changes, not an issue, large change is something to be investigated. The main thing is you don't want to run too tight a clearance.

Back