• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Single Saddlebag Input

What side for a V7 single saddlebag?

• Right side

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Left side

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Only a fool mounts one!

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davewrites

Tuned and Synch'ed
The decision is fairly straightforward for most scrambler owners with high exhaust on one side, but for a V7…

Q: If you were to buy a single saddlebag (with a proper mounting kit), would you be mounting it to the right side or left side of your V7?

And why?

I have a H-B C-Bow mount on my Stornello. Left side for reasons OP noted, i.e., high Arrow pipe on right.

For local day rides in staff & trailer reach -- code for "Kathi can come get me" :giggle: -- I often don't mount the (Orbit) bag. On overnighters or to places Kathi-&-trailer and AMA tow trucks won't go, I attach a H-B Orbit bag with tools, etc.

I have not noticed any handling effects with or without, but I am likely insensitive. Might be an issue if trying to Numero 46, but at my age, weight, and skillset, no issues.

I would think a single side bag is a better option than a top case high and on the rear. The latter are indubitably functional for storage and easy access, but one must be careful with cargo's weight. Panniers are mounted lower, thus lowering COG.

All of the above is for a Stornello, ridden like mine, which is never on the slab, rarely over 60 mph, and about 60/40 on/off pavement.

I miei due lire. ;)

Bill

TempImagevPg4L2 TempImagezvLWis

Right side because on the side stand the bike leans left making it easier to access a bag on the right side.
When I have my panniers on the Norge I always put stuff in the right side pannier unless I need more space or need to balance the weight.
On a previous bike, I had two and used the right bag almost exclusively. I never carried enough weight to fear an imbalance…

Admittedly, I’m leaning right because the bike leans left.

Extremely aerodynamically unstable idea. You would be better with a small topcase.
I have a small top case, but it’s not enough for my work commute (i.e., laptop) and I’m tired of wearing a backpack.

How unstable is it really though? I assume there’s some additional drag, but wouldn’t it be something manageable?

I’m not riding cross country on an adventure bike, nor spending much time on the freeway.

Thanks for your input—just thinking out loud…

I have a H-B C-Bow mount on my Stornello. Left side for reasons OP noted, i.e., high Arrow pipe on right.

For local day rides in staff & trailer reach -- code for "Kathi can come get me" :giggle: -- I often don't mount the (Orbit) bag. On overnighters or to places Kathi-&-trailer and AMA tow trucks won't go, I attach a H-B Orbit bag with tools, etc.

I have not noticed any handling effects with or without, but I am likely insensitive. Might be an issue if trying to Numero 46, but at my age, weight, and skillset, no issues.

I would think a single side bag is a better option than a top case high and on the rear. The latter are indubitably functional for storage and easy access, but one must be careful with cargo's weight. Panniers are mounted lower, thus lowering COG.

All of the above is for a Stornello, ridden like mine, which is never on the slab, rarely over 60 mph, and about 60/40 on/off pavement.

I miei due lire. ;)

Bill

View attachment 24771View attachment 24772
Thank you. Similar thought process about COG and why I posted the Q. I’m also considering soft panniers, which may be more aerodynamic when packing light and less when packing full compared to a hard case.

Nice ride, BTW!

I have a small top case, but it’s not enough for my work commute (i.e., laptop) and I’m tired of wearing a backpack.

How unstable is it really though? I assume there’s some additional drag, but wouldn’t it be something manageable?

I’m not riding cross country on an adventure bike, nor spending much time on the freeway.

Thanks for your input—just thinking out loud…

At freeway speed, in my opinion, very. Slow 35-45 mph surface street speeds, not a big deal it seems.

Understand, there are a great many things people here do that I would not.

As a matter of principle, I don’t take chances like that because I find it to be tempting the fates, but there are lots of those people here who obviously say that they do it all the time. Go figure.

You have to decide for yourself.

Unbalancing issues aside, there is more support for right side over left, which leads me to believe there are no concerns for mounting a single saddlebag on the same side as the shaft drive. Mounting on the right also means the helmet lock installed on the left would remain unencumbered. So, that’s a plus.

Down the road, when I take longer trips with freeway time, I’ll likely double-up for balance.

Unbalancing issues aside, there is more support for right side over left, which leads me to believe there are no concerns for mounting a single saddlebag on the same side as the shaft drive. Mounting on the right also means the helmet lock installed on the left would remain unencumbered. So, that’s a plus.

Down the road, when I take longer trips with freeway time, I’ll likely double-up for balance.

I forgot to vote, so just added that, but without making much of a difference.

Again, I rarely get on the slab on any of my Guzzis, and almost never -- at my age, I try hard not to be categorical or didactic, thus my weaselly "almost" :giggle: -- on the Stornello.

I am lucky enough to live where I don't need to jump an Eye-Road to get to great riding, as such are a right-turn out of my driveway.

Otherwise, I thus might, as Scott notes, agree that the drawbacks of asymmetrical mounting may well make the wise wary of doing that.

Enough. Kathi's in D.C. Time to make a supper that would make her roll her eyes. ;)

Bill

Never on the Guzzi, but had a single bag on the right side for years on my old Triumph scrambler, never even noticed it there. I used to stuff a whole week worth of camping gear in that bag and on the back seat and rack of it, I'm sure well overloaded many times, lol, and all I ever noticed was a light front end.

I either take them both off or have them both on (with the R1150 RS or the V85TT), but the right side usually gets more use on the RS because it is easier to load/unload while on the side stand. The top-loading bags on the V85 get equal use. I usually carry the laptop in the top case because I think it is a bit safer there in the event of a crash (hope I never find out).

I took the V85TT out today to a monthly lunch meeting. When I arrived home after lunch, I transferred my backpack from the top case to the right saddle bag and removed the left saddle bag and top case. I then took a ride on surface streets and the freeway. I was on a rural freeway where the speed limit is 75 MPH and kept up with traffic in the left lane (you can speculate on the actual speed). The wind was approximately 20 MPH out of the southwest so I had headwind, tailwind, and side wind (both sides) by making a round trip of about 20 miles each way. There were no stability issues, but it seemed like I had to lean a little to the left to compensate for the unbalanced weight and air drag.

I took the V85TT out today to a monthly lunch meeting. When I arrived home after lunch, I transferred my backpack from the top case to the right saddle bag and removed the left saddle bag and top case. I then took a ride on surface streets and the freeway. I was on a rural freeway where the speed limit is 75 MPH and kept up with traffic in the left lane (you can speculate on the actual speed). The wind was approximately 20 MPH out of the southwest so I had headwind, tailwind, and side wind (both sides) by making a round trip of about 20 miles each way. There were no stability issues, but it seemed like I had to lean a little to the left to compensate for the unbalanced weight and air drag.
Thanks for sharing! I figure it ultimately hinges on the bike, bag and speed, but additional drag on one side seemed more plausible to me than a dramatic weight imbalance. Mine is a V7 and my additional load may only be 10 pounds including the bag and its mounting bracket.

Speaking of drag…

On the roads I frequent, there are sections where you can experience fairly strong crosswinds coming off the river. When traveling one way, that wind pushes you out towards the shoulder, which is entirely manageable even if irregular or gusty. There’s always enough time and space in your lane to react and correct when the wind hits the left side of your bike.

…but when traveling the opposite direction, that crosswind will push you inwards, towards oncoming traffic. It can be butt-clenching if you’re riding in first position and not prepared for a sudden blast.

In that direction, I’ve often used flaring or the sailing technique where you stick out your right knee to create additional drag on that side of the bike. It’s a quick and effective way to resist the wind pushing you over the centre line. My assumption/hope is that the presence of a saddlebag, if noticeable at higher speeds, would feel akin to that particular drag sensation. If so, it should be gradual and manageable.

I’m going to try the single bag. If it freaks me out, I’ll simply pony up for it’s mate.

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts and experiences—much appreciated!

Back