• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Slight degradation in performance - GRiSO 8VSE

ohiorider

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Sorry for the book-length note!

I took delivery of my 2012 GRiSO in late June of 2012, (set up by GuzziSteve) and she has been a strong runner with tons of torque in ANY gear from 3000rpm to redline. I rode her approx 4400 miles in 2012. Put away for the winter after (a) changing oil and filter (b) adding Stabil and filling with 93 octane fuel.

This spring, she started right up without issue, but I've noticed that the bike seems to have lost some of the brute torque from 3000rpm, which it doesn't regain until 4000rpm. Not really poor performance, more like how the original 8V Griso performance was described by the moto mags ... 'really comes on at 4-5k rpm.' Also, she seems to run slightly rough when I'm running in lower gears with nearly no throttle load ... say in traffic at 30mph in 3rd gear (3000rpm). To eliminate this, I will drop to 4th gear. This places a slight load on the engine, and it seems to smooth out. It feels more like an engine with a race cam vs a 'miss', and giving some throttle seems to smooth it out.

I've made zero ECU mods to the bike, and this 'flat feeling between 3 and 4k rpm began before I removed the fuel tank (for the purpose of replacing the metal/plastic fuel filter .... which I didn't, since the bike had the all-metal Mahle filter.) At that time I also removed the blue and orange pressure valve from the tank vent line, since it seemed to be causing excess vapor pressure in the tank.

I did notice a slight aroma of burnt fur on initial ride which went away (could it have been mouse in the airbox? .... should have checked when tank was removed.)

I have a copy of VDSTS that is compatible with both my bikes' Marelli computer (1200 Sport and Griso 8V), but aside from resetting the TPS after TB balancing, I have no knowledge of its other capabilities.

Other observations:
- exhaust pipes are still golden, not burnt. Just a few brown spots that may polish clean.
- there were no ECU or DSB errors when I checked them a few days ago.

What to look for?

I did notice a slight aroma of burnt fur on initial ride which went away could it have been mouse in the airbox?
Yeah, Id say check your airbox

Read this with a Scottish accent;
If thats a moose I'd hate to see ya (pussy) cut.

Attachments

• Moose.jpg
    Moose.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 652
  • Moose.02.jpg
    Moose.02.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 654
It didn't smell like 'baked in the airbox' mouse, more like 'braised on hot engine parts' mouse. Whatever or wherever it was, it stunk!

Re the injectors, I picked up a small bottle of injector cleaner at Advance Auto, and will mix up a batch of 93 octane and this mystery liquid. It appears to be a reasonable place to start.

Aside from the issue I've described, the bike runs good. I almost don't want to disturb the TB balance and perform the mandatory TPS reset .... at least until I give one tank of treated fuel the opportunity to clean things up. One thing at a time.

EDIT: I love the placebo effect! I added four oz of SeaFoam gas treatment (says it'll clean dirty injectors), to two gallons fuel in the bike tank, held the front brake on, and shook (didn't stir) the bike back and forth to thoroughly mix the cocktail. Quick ride to the gas station a few blocks away to fill up with another two gallons. After 50-60 miles, my mind says 'yes', she runs better! After another 50 miles, I'll need to install a bumstop saddle just to hang onto the GRiSO :mrgreen:

EDIT2: I removed the airbox cover and found nothing to indicate any little critters had been inside.

maybe it was some leftover winter blend gas. My car seems to be sensitive to this. Also maybe check the tightness of the headers, mine loosened up between 4-8k. I put the O2 sensor dudad to cure my lower rpm weirdness.

grimace said:
maybe it was some leftover winter blend gas. My car seems to be sensitive to this. Also maybe check the tightness of the headers, mine loosened up between 4-8k. I put the O2 sensor dudad to cure my lower rpm weirdness.

Hi Grimace, just wondering what is a 02 sensor dudad ? :dry:

grimace said:
maybe it was some leftover winter blend gas. My car seems to be sensitive to this.

think you nailed it, CA has ethanol gas year round and my bike always runs better when I get non-ethanol fuel in Oregon. I've been using Lucas Fuel Treatment, not sure if it helps, but I use it anyway when the bike gets less use during winter. MPG goes up about 20%.

the O2 gizmo is an O2 Optimizer or Fat Duc - maybe others. There are a bunch of threads on the subject here on GT.

I'm late to the party here, but without a doubt, fuel additives like Stabil certainly numb the performance, and Winter blend fuels certainly don't help either. It sounds like you have it figured out, but for sure run another tank through and I'm sure it'll be 100% again.

Back